Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Old Nov 18, 17, 11:02 pm

Programs: WN CP, DL PLT, Hyatt DD, PC PLT, GC PLT, Hertz PC
I am mixed on this. LAX is a clear example of overcrowding - no place to even stand to do emails But at the same time, Delta BETTER build up SC in a few key cities like Houston! KLM Lounge at IAH while sucks, still offer a place to get some work done and some minimal food before the flight.

Man, at this rate, I really really need to switch to United. Delta is downright painful for those us in the SF Bay area.
Old Nov 24, 17, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Just to be clear, in some ways this is the resurrection of a very old policy. Iíll pull up a very old thread....

Using CRC When not Flying

For years, the Crown Room had an official stance that a same day DL ticket was required.
Old Nov 26, 17, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Just to be clear, in some ways this is the resurrection of a very old policy. Iíll pull up a very old thread....

Using CRC When not Flying

For years, the Crown Room had an official stance that a same day DL ticket was required.
Thatís true, but NW never did (as far as I can remember) for the World Clubs. I get that DL reserves the right to modify conditions of entry, but this is a real slap at World Club lifers. Require a same day boarding pass or priority card from any airline? Sure, fine. Mandate that it be a DL pass? Thanks for telling folks who gave a predecessor company a fair bit of cash to take a hike.

Donít get me started on losing KL and AF lounge access when Iíve already lost the good overseas club network that NW had...
Old Nov 26, 17, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wlau View Post
I am mixed on this. LAX is a clear example of overcrowding - no place to even stand to do emails But at the same time, Delta BETTER build up SC in a few key cities like Houston! KLM Lounge at IAH while sucks, still offer a place to get some work done and some minimal food before the flight.

Man, at this rate, I really really need to switch to United. Delta is downright painful for those us in the SF Bay area.
One of the nicest SC is at SFO.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:43 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by uavking View Post
Thatís true, but NW never did (as far as I can remember) for the World Clubs. I get that DL reserves the right to modify conditions of entry, but this is a real slap at World Club lifers. Require a same day boarding pass or priority card from any airline? Sure, fine. Mandate that it be a DL pass? Thanks for telling folks who gave a predecessor company a fair bit of cash to take a hike.

Donít get me started on losing KL and AF lounge access when Iíve already lost the good overseas club network that NW had...
DITTO!!!
Old Nov 27, 17, 8:20 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
So you did - I even responded, expressing disbelief because I thought for sure they'd never try something like that for fear of mass refund requests. I should have considered the possibility that they'd just set the policy change far enough out to provide folks proper notice. I wonder what effect this will have on renewals of paid memberships this coming year.
Good question. My SC membership runs until 2022 and I am thinking about requesting a refund.

David
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Silver
I'll add my voice to the mix. In MSP's F/G club at the moment and I've yet to have seen anything like this. It might as well be a quiet zone gate area with nicer chairs. Folks are milling about looking for a place to sit like cars searching for parking on Black Friday at the mall. Unreal.

I just purchased an annual membership a month and a half ago. Definitely getting use out of it. With that said, and still having to look closer upthread about how the unbranded Amex Plat is affected, I may just switch to the unbranded Amex.
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:27 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I definitely would not take today to be a "normal" day. There have been a number of equipment up-guages yesterday and today to handle all the passengers returning home after Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
I definitely would not take today to be a "normal" day. There have been a number of equipment up-guages yesterday and today to handle all the passengers returning home after Thanksgiving.
That I can fully believe. Thanks LBJ. Finishing up my second run to PHX. The first was in October before the time change and Iím totally thrown off since the first trip was on Pacific and the second was on Mountain. For whatever reason it is messing with my logic skills.
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
The Amex Plat will be a good option. In addition to the Centurion lounges, you also get Priority Pass Select which grants access to the AS lounges (capacity controlled, sometimes).

Additionally, quite a few international lounge options with PPS. They are of varying quality, but many are reasonably decent.
Priority Pass Select - includes 2 guest for free
Old Nov 27, 17, 4:13 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by tvtd View Post
I'll add my voice to the mix. In MSP's F/G club at the moment and I've yet to have seen anything like this. It might as well be a quiet zone gate area with nicer chairs. Folks are milling about looking for a place to sit like cars searching for parking on Black Friday at the mall. Unreal.

I just purchased an annual membership a month and a half ago. Definitely getting use out of it. With that said, and still having to look closer upthread about how the unbranded Amex Plat is affected, I may just switch to the unbranded Amex.
Had the same experience last week in MSP....pulled in did a lap and no seats...I used the bathroom and left. Seems to be my trend at a lot of SkyClubs lately.
Old Nov 27, 17, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by tvtd View Post

I said it up thread a bit, but even prior to these changes, I still thought the Amex Platinum was the better value but now it is no contest. I don't really see any benefit at all to an annual SC membership.

Crowding really is getting bad though. I've had a few SC visits at both ATL and MSP in the last few months where I did a lap, downed a drink quickly and left. I've started trekking to ATL E even if I'm flying out of A, B and C just because it is typically the least trafficked.
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
I don't know how this change will make a noticeable difference with the crowding. There can't be that many people in a skyclub that aren't on Delta. At the DTW skyclubs there are no non-skyteam airlines that use that terminal so it wouldn't make a difference there.

It doesn't make sense to buy an individual membership when the Delta AM EX reserve gets you in for free plus gets you MQMS or the non-branded Platinum Am Ex.

I'm surprised Delta hasn't eliminated getting in the skyclubs with the non-branded Platinum Am Ex.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I don't know how this change will make a noticeable difference with the crowding. There can't be that many people in a skyclub that aren't on Delta. At the DTW skyclubs there are no non-skyteam airlines that use that terminal so it wouldn't make a difference there.

It doesn't make sense to buy an individual membership when the Delta AM EX reserve gets you in for free plus gets you MQMS or the non-branded Platinum Am Ex.

I'm surprised Delta hasn't eliminated getting in the skyclubs with the non-branded Platinum Am Ex.
I am certain the partnership with Amex is far more profitable for Delta than individual memberships could ever possibly be.

Plus it is a huge selling point of the non-branded Platinum Amex. It was the deciding selling point for me and probably many others like me. No way Amex or DL could change that and not face massive backlash and lost profits.
Old Dec 5, 17, 11:24 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
A kick in the balls for Executive members with lifetime memberships. Agreed that a same-day BP should be required, but it shouldn't have to be DL. We've already paid for the right to access the lounge by buying the lifetime membership (for several thousands of dollars many years ago), why do we need to pay for a 2nd ticket of admission (a DL ticket?)
gaugeguy likes this.

Search this Thread