FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877901-delta-skyclub-access-changes-starting-jan-1-2019-a.html)

RumPatrol Nov 17, 17 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 29071460)
The Amex Plat will be a good option. In addition to the Centurion lounges, you also get Priority Pass Select which grants access to the AS lounges (capacity controlled, sometimes).

Additionally, quite a few international lounge options with PPS. They are of varying quality, but many are reasonably decent.

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 29071639)
👍. Will also help at the international outstations with contract lounges where Delta is now too cheap to pay for lounge access for SkyTeam Elite Plus in coach...

Even prior to this I think Amex Platinum was the way to go just in terms of overall value for dollar spent, after this I think it is a no-brainer. I fly DL almost exclusively domestically outside of a few AA/UA flights to wild west outposts DL doesn't fly to and make a lot of use out of the PP membership internationally when not on a SkyTeam airline.

I can see some situations where this would be a huge issue for SC Members, but on the whole I think it is a positive. Will it actually reduce crowding at the more populated SCs? Who knows.

Often1 Nov 17, 17 3:38 pm

Yes, carriers do improve perks. For HVC's & paid premium, e.g. D1.

Every person who has ever sent in a complaint or posted on social media about overcrowding can look to this result as their doing.

worldwidedreamer Nov 17, 17 5:06 pm

FWIW just entered SFO SkyClub. Life SkyClub member flying VX F. Agent said that effective January 1st, 2018 a DL boarding pass would be required. Can anyone else confirm?

jiburi Nov 17, 17 5:25 pm

The policy is listed now on Delta.com under admittance policy.

Effective January 1, 2019, Delta Sky Club members may only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines and will no longer have access to partner lounges.
This change will result in annual 6 visits in 2019 vs my current annual 120 visits. This makes my lifetime investment to nothing.

I may need to study the term for possible class action...

The rights and obligations created by your membership in the Delta Sky Club program will be governed by the laws of the State of Georgia. You agree that this agreement is made and entered into in Fulton County, Georgia. You agree that Georgia law governs this agreement's interpretation and/or any dispute arising there from, without regard to conflicts of law principles to the contrary. Any lawsuit brought by you related to your membership in the Delta Sky Club program or use of any Delta Sky Club facility or reciprocal lounge must be brought in the state or federal courts located in Fulton County, Georgia
Jiburi

RealHJ Nov 17, 17 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29068228)
Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times. How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta? If you are flying someone else is there even DL club at that airport?

NOthing to see here folks, move along please.

Total nonsense. Most times flying for many are flying other airlines, esp. given the lacking footprint of DL (on many if not most routes forcing connections vs. more direct flights on other airlines such as AS; a multi-city trip you can do over one or two days on other airlines on DL would take four days - most don't have the luxury of time to waste like that). Having DL SC access was handy then. Now with it no more, there is next to zero value in SC membership, and AmEx Plat value is also reduced, if DL SC access is now only limited when flying DL or SkyTeam. This is a major devaluation that will result in many flying DL even less, as what's the point now really? Now there is practically no value in DM; already it was reduced, and now even so.

RealHJ Nov 17, 17 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 29072902)
I may need to study the term for possible class action...

^ Please do. That is certainly worth exploring.

RumPatrol Nov 17, 17 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 29072942)
Total nonsense. Most times flying for many are flying other airlines, esp. given the lacking footprint of DL (on many if not most routes forcing connections vs. more direct flights on other airlines such as AS; a multi-city trip you can do over one or two days on other airlines on DL would take four days - most don't have the luxury of time to waste like that). Having DL SC access was handy then. Now with it no more, there is next to zero value in SC membership, and AmEx Plat value is also reduced, if DL SC access is now only limited when flying DL or SkyTeam. This is a major devaluation that will result in many flying DL even less, as what's the point now really? Now there is practically no value in DM; already it was reduced, and now even so.

Amex Platinum SC access is already limited to flying DL, I'm not sure why the original article suggested otherwise. Amex Platinum's benefits are unchanged.

Can't argue with the rest at all, though luckily it doesn't impact me in the slightest. For those of you who will be impacted, you have 13+ months to complain and see if they rethink it.

jiburi Nov 17, 17 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 29072948)
^ Please do. That is certainly worth exploring.

Complaint filed to Federal Court in Georgia.

Jiburi

PaulInTheSky Nov 17, 17 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 29072942)

Three major devaluations in a day:

1. SkyClub Membership Access rules. AMex Card holders and SkyClub members are not allowed to access the lounge. --> Canceled the AMex cards last year. Now even less incentive to go back to AMex
2. Upgrade elimination on D1 routes. Stingy upgrade instruments provided to PMs and DMs.
3. Fuel Surcharges on DL awards out of US

However, DL fans can still figure other reasons to stick with DL. DL's message is clear - We don't want you to milk miles in our program, we will do whatever we can to devalue the miles. All the elites who feel they are special in DL will have to spend even more $$ to make themselves feel special while on the other end DL just chuckled how many fanboys would still fly the airline no matter how badly they devalue the program.

I knew how this was going with DL so I stopped flying them. I am AA/UA elite, but I don't fly them too much either. It's time to wake up and just forget about DL as a whole unless your only choice is DL.

RealHJ Nov 17, 17 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 29073053)
Amex Platinum SC access is already limited to flying DL, I'm not sure why the original article suggested otherwise. Amex Platinum's benefits are unchanged.

Can't argue with the rest at all, though luckily it doesn't impact me in the slightest. For those of you who will be impacted, you have 13+ months to complain and see if they rethink it.

Thanks for the correction.

Sorry, I thought that DL SCs were included through Priority Pass (which has no airline requirement, just any same-day flight), but I was wrong to assume so. Just didn't know as never needed to use it through AmEx or PP..

gigglypug Nov 17, 17 7:13 pm

Effective in 2019, you say??

splendid, that wonít ruin my plan to

- still pick a skyclub membership as one of my CBs for 2018
- use SC in IAH and other United hubs Iím likely to frequent
- proclaiming loudly my newfound loyalty to United whenever the dragons scan my SC number and no corresponding DL itinerary pops up

Canít wait, this will be FUN!!

RealHJ Nov 17, 17 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 29073054)
Complaint filed to Federal Court in Georgia.

Jiburi

Well done! Keep us appraised of how it goes. I am sure that many with SC lifetime membership and such may want to join in. (N/A to me as I just get it as a DM benefit - for now. Not that I use it much, only a few times a year. SkyTeam Elite+ is much more valuable, as is Priority Pass that is offered/provided by so many different CCs.)

bworrell Nov 17, 17 9:17 pm

This is a bummer for me. I'm in a delta hub with just a single lounge in the whole airport (SLC). Unless I'm 100% loyal to Delta it means no lounge access for me when I fly anyone else.

Maybe we'll have more lounges when the new airport is built, but that will be a while...

StayingHomeIsBetter Nov 17, 17 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 29067827)
We will still have access to partner lounges though if we are travelling on DL metal as an STE and/or J though I hope.

Don't count on it. :td::td::td:

StayingHomeIsBetter Nov 17, 17 10:08 pm

No doubt the are delaying this until 2019 in order to give them time to build clubs in major city airports without SkyClubs where partner lounges are the only option... as in IAH and the KLM lounge.

..... Yeah, sure. :rolleyes: