Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Old Nov 17, 17, 1:07 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 1,955
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
At least allow Executive members to use the club with any boarding pass as $745 is pretty steep compared to the competitors.
Since when did the airlines care about their customers.
DiverDave likes this.
mikesyr18 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 1:23 am
  #62  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: District of Columbia
Programs: AA Plat, Marriott, Hilton Diamond, National
Posts: 1,496
It's weird that they will stop allowing Delta Gold American Express cardmembers to buy a visit for $29 if not flying Delta. I've done that a few times when flying AA. I have the AmEx Platinum for free access when flying Delta. I'll probably cancel my Delta AmEx. It's hard to think that they aren't making money on those purchases.
chrisny2 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 3:03 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 1,955
Originally Posted by dw View Post
With this change, would there even be any advantage to paying $495 for an individual membership vs paying $450 for the AMEX Reserve?
Was there an advantage before?
It seems to me like any frequent flier with Delta should have an AMEX Reserve card in their hand solely for the benefits.
How can someone pass up a free first class companion ticket, free checked bags, bonus MQM's, and free lounge access?
I understand you're basically paying for the lounge access $450 a year with the AF but the other perks basically for free is a no brainier.

Originally Posted by chrisny2 View Post
It's weird that they will stop allowing Delta Gold American Express cardmembers to buy a visit for $29 if not flying Delta...
I would have to say that benefit on a $95/year card was due to be nerfed at some point.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Nov 17, 17 at 3:11 am
mikesyr18 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 7:31 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Posts: 2,241
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Loyalty Lobby is reporting some major changes to the SkyClub policy:


​​​​​​https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/11/16/...anuary-1-2019/


​​​​​​Here are the changes:


American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.
.
Since when have Platinum and Centurion cards let guests in for free (in the last few years) if they are then DL has been getting $29/person for my guests a lot???

Plus I never knew you could go with the above cards into Sky Clubs with any airline ticket???
vincentharris is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 7:33 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Posts: 2,241
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 View Post
Under the new rules, can a DM with a SC membership access the SC on arrival after arriving from a domestic flight? (For example, if I flew from ATL-SFO, would I be able to use the SFO SC even though I'm not flying onward to anywhere else?)
I have done this many times. (Sometimes to use the bathroom, sometimes to go to the shower room pre meeting) never been rejected or even questioned.
vincentharris is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 8:26 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,312
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Is there a typo in the subject line? Is it suppose to be 1/1/2018 and not 1/1/19. If not why is Delta announcing this over a year in advance??????
Has anyone asked the DM, PM...GM lines? Has anyone asked at the SC? Is there an 800 number on the back of your card:? Does anyone know if these changes are true...or just speculative rumor?
OHDL1 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 8:27 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta DM
Posts: 1,132
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
I have done this many times. (Sometimes to use the bathroom, sometimes to go to the shower room pre meeting) never been rejected or even questioned.
Me too. All the time. One last drink before the cab home. :-)
iflyalexair is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 8:38 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston
Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Posts: 816
Originally Posted by IggySD View Post
Except, as has already been pointed out several times, they didn't.
We are splitting hairs here... United does now require same day boarding pass to enter a UC. 2 years ago this was not a requirement.
Collierkr is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 8:46 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 6,069
Flying AA Shuttle today but preferred using the SkyClub in LGA-C (love their choice of chive cream cheese!)....SC agent asked for BP and I made a comment about flying AA today and he said no problem but did record it down. I sure will miss the ability to use the SC when flying another airline!
AANYC1981 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 8:52 am
  #70  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45° North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,440
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
Since when have Platinum and Centurion cards let guests in for free (in the last few years) if they are then DL has been getting $29/person for my guests a lot???

Plus I never knew you could go with the above cards into Sky Clubs with any airline ticket???
They haven't - the article is incorrect regarding the current benefits of the Amex charge cards.
TTT is online now  
Old Nov 17, 17, 9:01 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Posts: 2,241
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
They haven't - the article is incorrect regarding the current benefits of the Amex charge cards.
I thought so figured I would bring it.
vincentharris is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 9:48 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,428
As a dual DL/AS elite, this will make my life pretty difficult; I use SkyClubs in many airports when “cheating” on DL. If they put this into effect, it will further solidify my already likely decision to dump the SkyMiles Amex and switch to a generic lounge access card instead. (Probably Amex Platinum, so I can use the Seattle centurion lounge when necessary; I consider that one second best here, and the bar is actually better than Delta’s by quite a bit.)

This will also make weird international situations tougher. I used the SkyClub access in TXL when flying onward from a SkyTeam business class flight on a short Lufthansa hop to a destination AFKL didnt serve. They were correctly unwilling to let me in as an arrivals lounge, but they did permit me in with my SkyClub membership. Only once I’ve needed it, but it was pretty clutch for that four hours in one of the most grim airports in Europe...
BenA is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 10:00 am
  #73  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45° North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,440
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
As a dual DL/AS elite, this will make my life pretty difficult; I use SkyClubs in many airports when “cheating” on DL. If they put this into effect, it will further solidify my already likely decision to dump the SkyMiles Amex and switch to a generic lounge access card instead. (Probably Amex Platinum, so I can use the Seattle centurion lounge when necessary; I consider that one second best here, and the bar is actually better than Delta’s by quite a bit.)

This will also make weird international situations tougher. I used the SkyClub access in TXL when flying onward from a SkyTeam business class flight on a short Lufthansa hop to a destination AFKL didnt serve. They were correctly unwilling to let me in as an arrivals lounge, but they did permit me in with my SkyClub membership. Only once I’ve needed it, but it was pretty clutch for that four hours in one of the most grim airports in Europe...
The Amex Plat will be a good option. In addition to the Centurion lounges, you also get Priority Pass Select which grants access to the AS lounges (capacity controlled, sometimes).

Additionally, quite a few international lounge options with PPS. They are of varying quality, but many are reasonably decent.
TTT is online now  
Old Nov 17, 17, 10:44 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL
Programs: DL PM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT PM, Hilton DM
Posts: 295
Zero effect on me, I have not flown another airline in 15 years.
estedman is offline  
Old Nov 17, 17, 10:48 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,428
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
The Amex Plat will be a good option. In addition to the Centurion lounges, you also get Priority Pass Select which grants access to the AS lounges (capacity controlled, sometimes).

Additionally, quite a few international lounge options with PPS. They are of varying quality, but many are reasonably decent.
👍. Will also help at the international outstations with contract lounges where Delta is now too cheap to pay for lounge access for SkyTeam Elite Plus in coach...
BenA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread