FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877901-delta-skyclub-access-changes-starting-jan-1-2019-a.html)

mikesyr18 Nov 17, 17 1:07 am


Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 29070147)
At least allow Executive members to use the club with any boarding pass as $745 is pretty steep compared to the competitors.

Since when did the airlines care about their customers.

chrisny2 Nov 17, 17 1:23 am

It's weird that they will stop allowing Delta Gold American Express cardmembers to buy a visit for $29 if not flying Delta. I've done that a few times when flying AA. I have the AmEx Platinum for free access when flying Delta. I'll probably cancel my Delta AmEx. It's hard to think that they aren't making money on those purchases.

mikesyr18 Nov 17, 17 3:03 am


Originally Posted by dw (Post 29068172)
With this change, would there even be any advantage to paying $495 for an individual membership vs paying $450 for the AMEX Reserve?

Was there an advantage before?
It seems to me like any frequent flier with Delta should have an AMEX Reserve card in their hand solely for the benefits.
How can someone pass up a free first class companion ticket, free checked bags, bonus MQM's, and free lounge access?
I understand you're basically paying for the lounge access $450 a year with the AF but the other perks basically for free is a no brainier.


Originally Posted by chrisny2 (Post 29070251)
It's weird that they will stop allowing Delta Gold American Express cardmembers to buy a visit for $29 if not flying Delta...

I would have to say that benefit on a $95/year card was due to be nerfed at some point.

vincentharris Nov 17, 17 7:31 am


Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 29067754)
Loyalty Lobby is reporting some major changes to the SkyClub policy:


​​​​​​https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/11/16/...anuary-1-2019/


​​​​​​Here are the changes:


American Express Platinum and Centurion card holders and guests must be on Delta operated flights. Fee for each guest is $29. Currently access is granted regardless of the airline flown and free for guests.
.

Since when have Platinum and Centurion cards let guests in for free (in the last few years) if they are then DL has been getting $29/person for my guests a lot???

Plus I never knew you could go with the above cards into Sky Clubs with any airline ticket???

vincentharris Nov 17, 17 7:33 am


Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 29069691)
Under the new rules, can a DM with a SC membership access the SC on arrival after arriving from a domestic flight? (For example, if I flew from ATL-SFO, would I be able to use the SFO SC even though I'm not flying onward to anywhere else?)

I have done this many times. (Sometimes to use the bathroom, sometimes to go to the shower room pre meeting) never been rejected or even questioned.

OHDL1 Nov 17, 17 8:26 am


Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 29069738)
Is there a typo in the subject line? Is it suppose to be 1/1/2018 and not 1/1/19. If not why is Delta announcing this over a year in advance??????

Has anyone asked the DM, PM...GM lines? Has anyone asked at the SC? Is there an 800 number on the back of your card:? Does anyone know if these changes are true...or just speculative rumor?

iflyalexair Nov 17, 17 8:27 am


Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29070969)
I have done this many times. (Sometimes to use the bathroom, sometimes to go to the shower room pre meeting) never been rejected or even questioned.

Me too. All the time. One last drink before the cab home. :-)

Collierkr Nov 17, 17 8:38 am


Originally Posted by IggySD (Post 29069426)
Except, as has already been pointed out several times, they didn't.

We are splitting hairs here... United does now require same day boarding pass to enter a UC. 2 years ago this was not a requirement.

AANYC1981 Nov 17, 17 8:46 am

Flying AA Shuttle today but preferred using the SkyClub in LGA-C (love their choice of chive cream cheese!)....SC agent asked for BP and I made a comment about flying AA today and he said no problem but did record it down. I sure will miss the ability to use the SC when flying another airline!

TTT Nov 17, 17 8:52 am


Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29070961)
Since when have Platinum and Centurion cards let guests in for free (in the last few years) if they are then DL has been getting $29/person for my guests a lot???

Plus I never knew you could go with the above cards into Sky Clubs with any airline ticket???

They haven't - the article is incorrect regarding the current benefits of the Amex charge cards.

vincentharris Nov 17, 17 9:01 am


Originally Posted by TTT (Post 29071218)
They haven't - the article is incorrect regarding the current benefits of the Amex charge cards.

I thought so figured I would bring it.

BenA Nov 17, 17 9:48 am

As a dual DL/AS elite, this will make my life pretty difficult; I use SkyClubs in many airports when “cheating” on DL. If they put this into effect, it will further solidify my already likely decision to dump the SkyMiles Amex and switch to a generic lounge access card instead. (Probably Amex Platinum, so I can use the Seattle centurion lounge when necessary; I consider that one second best here, and the bar is actually better than Delta’s by quite a bit.)

This will also make weird international situations tougher. I used the SkyClub access in TXL when flying onward from a SkyTeam business class flight on a short Lufthansa hop to a destination AFKL didnt serve. They were correctly unwilling to let me in as an arrivals lounge, but they did permit me in with my SkyClub membership. Only once I’ve needed it, but it was pretty clutch for that four hours in one of the most grim airports in Europe...

TTT Nov 17, 17 10:00 am


Originally Posted by BenA (Post 29071409)
As a dual DL/AS elite, this will make my life pretty difficult; I use SkyClubs in many airports when “cheating” on DL. If they put this into effect, it will further solidify my already likely decision to dump the SkyMiles Amex and switch to a generic lounge access card instead. (Probably Amex Platinum, so I can use the Seattle centurion lounge when necessary; I consider that one second best here, and the bar is actually better than Delta’s by quite a bit.)

This will also make weird international situations tougher. I used the SkyClub access in TXL when flying onward from a SkyTeam business class flight on a short Lufthansa hop to a destination AFKL didnt serve. They were correctly unwilling to let me in as an arrivals lounge, but they did permit me in with my SkyClub membership. Only once I’ve needed it, but it was pretty clutch for that four hours in one of the most grim airports in Europe...

The Amex Plat will be a good option. In addition to the Centurion lounges, you also get Priority Pass Select which grants access to the AS lounges (capacity controlled, sometimes).

Additionally, quite a few international lounge options with PPS. They are of varying quality, but many are reasonably decent.

estedman Nov 17, 17 10:44 am

Zero effect on me, I have not flown another airline in 15 years.

BenA Nov 17, 17 10:48 am


Originally Posted by TTT (Post 29071460)
The Amex Plat will be a good option. In addition to the Centurion lounges, you also get Priority Pass Select which grants access to the AS lounges (capacity controlled, sometimes).

Additionally, quite a few international lounge options with PPS. They are of varying quality, but many are reasonably decent.

👍. Will also help at the international outstations with contract lounges where Delta is now too cheap to pay for lounge access for SkyTeam Elite Plus in coach...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:58 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.