Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
With this change, would there even be any advantage to paying $495 for an individual membership vs paying $450 for the AMEX Reserve?
+1

I see no reason to have a membership - just use AMEX Platinum as the benefits are the same. Am I missing something?
Seabilly likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Do airlines every improve the perks instead of taking them away or making them more expensive, ever?
Yes, albeit at about a 1:10 ratio of improvement to devaluation.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by rylan
Yes, albeit at about a 1:10 ratio of improvement to devaluation.
And then they wonder why they're the industry to hate besides banks.

Stop devaluing points and lounges. Airlines need to realize customers who use FF perks and longes are their money makers, not Joe Schmo who flies once every three years and pays $310 for their ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Wait wait... might be the new FT format messing with me, but where is this info coming from? Big parts of it are wrong and our lovely friends over at Loyalty Lobby do not cite anything directly from Delta.

Amex (unbranded) Platinum cardholders and Amex Reserve cardholders have not been able to bring in guests for a while, article is very much off the mark.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by hi55us
Wait wait... might be the new FT format messing with me, but where is this info coming from? Big parts of it are wrong and our lovely friends over at Loyalty Lobby do not cite anything directly from Delta.

Amex (unbranded) Platinum cardholders and Amex Reserve cardholders have not been able to bring in guests for a while, article is very much off the mark.

Gary Leff at View from the Wing just posted the same story on his blog:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ne-passengers/
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM
i'm just glad they let me in after the flight as well.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by 355F1

Looks like the source is just this thread, but he does correct the incorrect information about Amex Platinum/Centurion that is in the original link here, as those are the current Amex Platinum/Centurion access policies.

I almost exclusively use my Amex Platinum to access Sky Clubs, even when I would otherwise be eligible to access through other means (int'l business, STE+, etc), so anything that thins out the herd is fine by me.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Obviously I split my flying domestically between AA/DL, so this kinda sucks because if I am flying AA in an airport without an AC but there is a SC, I would use the SC. Did this at SFO when the LUS gates were still out of the DL terminal (not sure if that is still the case?).
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1

Where he is simply referencing this thread as his source.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Having a same day DL flight is fine by me. Only used a club twice when flying another airline.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
This sucks. I fly SEA-ALW on AS several times a year, and use my DL Skyclub membership in SEA to use the lounge. DL doesn’t fly to ALW at all (if they did I’d fly them). Probably will let my membership lapse as almost everything else I fly is international Delta One, which makes membership redundant.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Lovely for international travelers, as there are exactly two SkyClubs not located in the USA.

My membership runs until 2021 or something like that, wonder if I will get any grandfathering.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
This sucks. I fly SEA-ALW on AS several times a year, and use my DL Skyclub membership in SEA to use the lounge. DL doesn’t fly to ALW at all (if they did I’d fly them). Probably will let my membership lapse as almost everything else I fly is international Delta One, which makes membership redundant.
Sounds like you were paying more than $59 a visit anyway then.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times. How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta? If you are flying someone else is there even DL club at that airport?

NOthing to see here folks, move along please.
Please don't assume that things that don't impact you don't impact others. I will be significantly impacted by this change and am not happy about it. I regularly fly into / out of JAX which has a SC and no other option. Most of the time I am on DL, but sometimes I am on AA. While this may not be a "major" devaluation, it is further demonstration of death by a thousand cuts. I feel like the frog sitting in the pot of water that is getting slowly hotter and Dl is hoping I won't notice and jump out of the pot.

It just kills me how one-way DL's relationship with their customers really is. Time and time again this year DL has devalued the benefits they provide to their best customers. After this year ends I am going to give my business to the airline (among the big four) that offers me the lowest price and most direct route. Loyalty in air travel is gone.
dw, chrisny2 and DiverDave like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Meh this is nothing. United did this what, two years ago? It affected me exactly zero times. How many times are you flying domestically NOT flying Delta? If you are flying someone else is there even DL club at that airport?

NOthing to see here folks, move along please.
I use the DL SC at O'hare every time I fly UA Express as it is near those gates. I will most likely not renew as a result so it is a big deal to some of us but thanks for dismissing the loss in value since it didn't affect you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.