Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Sky Miles Aadvantage United Mileage Plus Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by BWIflyerman
This was wonderful news for Lifetime members since I only fly Delta maybe once a year, but am a very frequent flyer through airports offering a Sky Club.
It's also wonderful news since it was the right thing to do. It's what we were promised and what we paid for when we bought our Lifetime memberships. Some Lifetime members paid as much as $4,000 in the 1990s ($7,000 in today's dollars).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Reserve Card Access

Sorry if this has already been answered--have AMEX reserve, flights are SNA-ATL-CDG. First segment Delta, second AF. Neither segment biz/first. Do I have free club access in ATL, or will it cost $29? Website just says access for those "travelling on Delta flight", no mention of arrival/departure airports.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by socalflying
Sorry if this has already been answered--have AMEX reserve, flights are SNA-ATL-CDG. First segment Delta, second AF. Neither segment biz/first. Do I have free club access in ATL, or will it cost $29? Website just says access for those "travelling on Delta flight", no mention of arrival/departure airports.
Since first segment is on a Delta flight, you should be able to access without paying a fee. I suppose it would be helpful if they clarified if any same-day flight qualifies. However, they don't say it's a departures only benefit (like the Skyteam Elite Plus access).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by socalflying
Just need a same day DL flight. Doesn't matter the city.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Thank you both for your prompt replies--I appreciate it!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
I am a current Sky Club member and am considering getting the DL AMEX Reserve card. My current (paid) membership does not expire until June. Does anyone know what will happen to the remaining months? I’ve asked 2 SC reps and received 2 different answers. At first I was told the remaining months would be “suspended” and then reactivated later, should I ever cancel the Reserve card. The second rep I asked (just to confirm before getting the card) recommended that I wait until my membership expires as I would lose the remaining months. Can anyone here speak from experience on what will happen to the remaining months on my current membership?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl
I am a current Sky Club member and am considering getting the DL AMEX Reserve card. My current (paid) membership does not expire until June. Does anyone know what will happen to the remaining months? I’ve asked 2 SC reps and received 2 different answers. At first I was told the remaining months would be “suspended” and then reactivated later, should I ever cancel the Reserve card. The second rep I asked (just to confirm before getting the card) recommended that I wait until my membership expires as I would lose the remaining months. Can anyone here speak from experience on what will happen to the remaining months on my current membership?
I don't have a paid membership, but I am sure that I have read multiple times on here that it *used* to be that any remaining time on a paid membership was tacked onto the end of a complimentary membership, but that it had changed in the semi-recent past to be that the overlap was just discarded.

At any rate, the second agent was probably correct-ish in your particular case because the Reserve card only "grants access" to the Sky Clubs - it does not confer membership. Seems like a fine point of distinction, but that's what it is.

I think that, in real world terms, what would happen would be that you would continue to access the club under your paid membership, and when that expires they would switch over to using the card. The whole process would be invisible to you, but it wouldn't be necessarily true that you would "lose" the remaining months - you would just have overlap between two methods of access.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted above, the Reserve card does not confer an actual SC membership, it just grants "access". They will not suspend or extend your SC membership just because you have the card. I have the Reserve card and several memberships that I bought awhile back and they have continued to run while I've had the card.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA PL Pro, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum
Access with non US Amex Plat - restricted?

Hi,
today the same Amex Plat that I’ve used numerous times to enter to Delta Sky Clubs did not work at the handheld terminal / nor at the computer at LAX Delta sky club.

The agent was nice and wanted to call support to figure it out but since I only had 10 mins before my flight boarded I didn’t want to wait or try to challenge the agent - and went to Starbucks to grab coffee so wasn’t a big deal - but wondering if the policy did change recently or something wrong with my Amex..

Last edited by aricane; Jul 15, 2019 at 10:54 am Reason: add screenshot photo
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Sky Miles Aadvantage United Mileage Plus Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by aricane
Hi,
today the same Amex Plat that I’ve used numerous times to enter to Delta Sky Clubs did not work at the handheld terminal / nor at the computer at LAX Delta sky club.

The agent was nice and wanted to call support to figure it out but since I only had 10 mins before my flight boarded I didn’t want to wait or try to challenge the agent - and went to Starbucks to grab coffee so wasn’t a big deal - but wondering if the policy did change recently or something wrong with my Amex..
We're you flying on Delta today? Effective, Jan 1 of this year, you have to be flying on Delta to get club access, unless you're a Lifetime Sky Club member.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by srockgibson
We're you flying on Delta today? Effective, Jan 1 of this year, you have to be flying on Delta to get club access, unless you're a Lifetime Sky Club member.
Amex Plat cardholders have always been required to have a same-day DL flight for access. The policy did not change for them (the change was for those with an SC membership). If you have your Plat card in your profile, you should be able to enter with just a BP scan.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA PL Pro, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by xliioper
Amex Plat cardholders have always been required to have a same-day DL flight for access. The policy did not change for them (the change was for those with an SC membership). If you have your Plat card in your profile, you should be able to enter with just a BP scan.
Sorry if I was not clear enough, yes I was flying on Delta metal ticketed by Delta. LAX-AUS

This is the error message shown on the lounge agents’ PC

anyone else had a similar issue?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The language on the Sky Club website seems to be a bit complicated.

I am traveling BOS-JFK-YYZ, so it's international, and wholly on Delta. I am also a Gold Medallion. Does this mean I get access in BOS and JFK? Here's the part that makes me think that I do (but would appreciate if someone could confirm):

SkyTeam Elite Plus® (including Delta Diamond, Platinum or Gold Medallion® Members) traveling in any cabin on a SkyTeam international flight or a SkyTeam domestic flight connecting to/from a same-day international flight (includes same-day travel on a Delta domestic flight connecting to an international Delta—or any other SkyTeam partner—flight) will receive club access with up to one guest. If traveling on an international itinerary, please show a frequent flyer credential for lounge access.

Note: SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at the departure airport and not at the arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying SkyTeam flight. SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits do not include access to third-party business lounges. For more details on third-party lounge access, click here.

*International Travel includes: Customers traveling to/from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, Africa, Canada and Mexico (excludes travel to/from the Caribbean, Guam, Palau and Saipan).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by diburning
The language on the Sky Club website seems to be a bit complicated.

I am traveling BOS-JFK-YYZ, so it's international, and wholly on Delta. I am also a Gold Medallion. Does this mean I get access in BOS and JFK? Here's the part that makes me think that I do (but would appreciate if someone could confirm):
Yes, you do.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond Medallion, Mileage Plus Million Miles, Mileage Plus Gold
Overcrowding in the JFK SkyClub has gotten so bad over the last year has gotten so bad (and it's not just because of construction), it is almost impossible to find a place to sit down. I asked one of the managers about it on my last visit (I'm there at least three times a month). She told me it's mainly driven by Amex Platinum card holders. Considering the overcrowding I've seen here and at many other SkyClubs seems that cost of entry is too low. I'm personally happy to see limitations based on day of travel. I'd also like to see an increase in cost for guests. Something has to be done. It's gotten so bad, inside the club is just as noisy and uncomfortable as outside the club. That's NOT what we're paying for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.