Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Still on the early side to tell if the changes are leading to less crowding, but my (admittedly limited) experience has been mixed.

ATL Terminal E last Tuesday afternoon was steady but not slammed.
LAX T3 last Thursday morning (around 8 am) was pretty busy.
DTW B/C concourse late Thursday afternoon was nearly empty: I'd be surprised if there were more than a dozen people there. Glorious!
DTW North? (by Gate 68) this morning around 8 was near capacity.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since DTW McNamara terminal only has Delta and DL partner flights, I would expect no difference at the DTW clubs. LAX T3 would be DL only passengers as well I believe.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Sky Miles Aadvantage United Mileage Plus Southwest Rapid Rewards
True at DTW, but at LAX there's post security shuttle bus that connects the secure areas of Terminals B, 2 and 3. Some Southwest flights also operate in Terminal 2 near the T2 Sky Club. There are also post security walking connectors between terminals 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and B. So if you have a long connection and don't mind walking . . .

Last edited by srockgibson; Jan 14, 2019 at 5:36 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jiburi
Am a Lifetimer and Three Observations:

ACCESS: Went through Narita, San Francisco and Seattle Skyclub flying United on Jan 3, 2019

SFO Sky Club agent who checked me in did not ask for the Delta boarding pass, as she had thought I had misplaced my boarding pass. Later when I asked for a shower access, she discovered that I was not in the "system" and inquired for my Delta Boarding pass. I told her I was accessing using a "Lifetime membership". She informs me that it was difficult to quickly check for lifetime status as credential do not immediately flag, Lifetiime status. Going forward this might change but currently, agents will need to flip through several screen to identifying a member who is lifetime. The agent had to enter false delta flight number to completing my check-in.
You went through Security Theater an extra time just to go to the Sky Club?!?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Update: Don't know if this is a change, but I recently checked-in to Skyclub via SkyClub's portable handheld device and the display DID indicate the expiration date. There is still no designation of "lifetime" but expiration date might for the short term, be the indicator for "lifetime"

Originally Posted by sethb
You went through Security Theater an extra time just to go to the Sky Club?!?
Yeah, my itinerary had a 9 hour layover in SFO. If for a normal 2 hours or less connection, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Jiburi
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:21 am

Yes, with the 2-minute airside connector between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1, it makes it extremely easy to use the SFO Sky Club for American and Alaska, but it's not worth it for United and International A and G.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
TBIC Lounge

Pardon me and redirect me if this is the wrong forum. I was at LAX International and couldn't find a Sky Club or any lounge welcoming a Silver Medallion AMEX Business Plat cardholder.

Help?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Camino1
Pardon me and redirect me if this is the wrong forum. I was at LAX International and couldn't find a Sky Club or any lounge welcoming a Silver Medallion AMEX Business Plat cardholder.

Help?
The only ST (SkyTeam) lounge in TBIT of LAX is operated by KE (Korean Air).

Delta operates two SC lounges at LAX - one in T2, and another in T3

Originally Posted by jiburi
Yeah, my itinerary had a 9 hour layover in SFO. If for a normal 2 hours or less connection, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Jiburi
Hope you took advantage of those 9 hours and gone into the city.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by srockgibson
True at DTW, but at LAX there's post security shuttle bus that connects the secure areas of Terminals B, 2 and 3. Some Southwest flights also operate in Terminal 2 near the T2 Sky Club. There are also post security walking connectors between terminals 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and B. So if you have a long connection and don't mind walking . . .
All WN departues operate out of T1. WN international flights arrive in TBIT, but plane is towed to T1 for departure.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The only ST (SkyTeam) lounge in TBIT of LAX is operated by KE (Korean Air).

Delta operates two SC lounges at LAX - one in T2, and another in T3

Hope you took advantage of those 9 hours and gone into the city.
An Amex Plat card is only good at actual Sky Clubs. You can't use it to get into Skyteam partner lounges. However, it does come with a Priority Pass Select membership. The KE lounge does accept that, but you have to activate it and use the PP card to get in. The PP card can also be used at PF Chang's in TBIT.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:42 am

follow the money

Originally Posted by rylan
Significant reduction in benefits in particular for those who have a SC membership. Why strip partner lounge access? That could be a huge loss for pax flying international such as through CDG or AMS.

Really at that point it makes the SC a domestic only lounge program and not worth it.
more than half my travel is international and the real value of a skyclub membership for me has always been international lounge access.

according to one informative club employee overseas, the partner lounges are so strict with delta access because of the reimbursement model in place. partner airlines feel like theyare not adequately reimbursed for delta customers' visits to their clubs. it's been my experience that there have been increasing restrictions on access for KLM/air france lounges for years. this is just the final nail in the coffin and further proof that these "partnerships" are tenuous, at best.

that, and/or the powers that be are planning to expand on their pay-as-you-go model and introduce an "international" sky club membership at double the price!
which some people will no doubt be willing to pay for after a year without international lounge access.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
All WN departues operate out of T1. WN international flights arrive in TBIT, but plane is towed to T1 for departure.
I'm just going by the LAX and Southwest's websites which both state that terminals other than T1 are occasionally used for WN departures and to check departure gate before heading to the airport

https://www.flylax.com/en/terminals/terminal2

and

https://www.los-angeles-airport.com/...hwest-airlines
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by srockgibson
I'm just going by the LAX and Southwest's websites which both state that terminals other than T1 are occasionally used for WN departures and to check departure gate before heading to the airport

https://www.flylax.com/en/terminals/terminal2

and

https://www.los-angeles-airport.com/...hwest-airlines
The second link clearly says TBIT. Which is where they arrive when they operate international flights to LAX. Also if you goto Sputhwest's website it lists checkin at T1, and that they use gates in T1 (1x) and TBIT (1xx).

There's no checkin for WN at T2. The first link was what was originally thought up, but not what actually happened.

Here's the list of what ended up being the changes.

Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by deltamedallionflyer
that, and/or the powers that be are planning to expand on their pay-as-you-go model and introduce an "international" sky club membership at double the price!
which some people will no doubt be willing to pay for after a year without international lounge access.
If you are STE+ (Skymiles, Gold, Platinum or Diamond). You still have access to international lounge (with a same day Delta (or Skyteam) flight).
I did not see a "big" market for an "international" sky club membership
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat.., Lifetime Delta SC, UC, MM
This was wonderful news for Lifetime members since I only fly Delta maybe once a year, but am a very frequent flyer through airports offering a Sky Club.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.