Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Old Nov 16, 18, 5:24 pm
  #271  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,282
Originally Posted by vassoo View Post
Actual message—-Thank you for speaking with me this afternoon. Unfortunately, our Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will not be allowed into Air France, KLM, and Virgin Australian lounges. B...., we appreciate your business and your loyalty.
Doubling down on incorrect info from the same agent still doesn't make it true!

There is no reason why SkyTeam would kill this benefit when the other 2 major alliances all allow it still. Delta doesn't have sole say over the STE+ benefit - SkyTeam does and its still a published benefit not mentioned to change.
btonkid12345 is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:28 pm
  #272  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MI
Programs: Delta DM, 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 38
I hope you are right! I’ll see when I go thru AMS in February. Hopefully someone who flies internationally in January will post their experience.
vassoo is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:31 pm
  #273  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
There are dozens of threads on this forum involving agents spreading misinformation and incorrect info. Delta just posted this a few days ago on the Sky Club news feed along with the most recent changes and it directly contradicts the agent.

"Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members have SkyTeam Elite Plus Status and will continue to receive complimentary access to partner lounges when traveling on a Skyteam international flight or a SkyTeam domestic flight connecting to/from a same-day international flight."

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/news-updates
BenA and Duke787 like this.

Last edited by LBJ; Nov 16, 18 at 5:38 pm
LBJ is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:33 pm
  #274  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: DL-DM, AA-G, SPG-G, UA-S
Posts: 193
So could this be that if you are DM and flying KLM, you can access the KLM lounge per their Elite plus rules. But if you are flying Delta metal say AMS-JFK in coach you can no longer access the KLM lounge. I am really skeptical of this. The email I got just referenced Sky Club members.
CaliguyNYC is offline  
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:56 pm
  #275  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 16,097
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC View Post
So could this be that if you are DM and flying KLM, you can access the KLM lounge per their Elite plus rules. But if you are flying Delta metal say AMS-JFK in coach you can no longer access the KLM lounge. I am really skeptical of this. The email I got just referenced Sky Club members.
No. STE+ lounge access is a ST wide requirement. Nothing is changing their Only thing changing is for those accessing via a SC membership.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 4:46 am
  #276  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,174
I have merged vassoo's thread into the prior SkyClub access changes thread by 355F1 after receiving a Report Bad Post message.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Mod
3Cforme is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 6:25 am
  #277  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by vassoo View Post
Spoke with Delta agent today. Sky Team Elite members will not be allowed acess to KLM, Air France, and Virgin Aus. Clubs beginning 01/01/19 unless flying in business/first class. Another perk gone.
I am going to guess this same agent told you that you need same fare bucket availability to SDC on a paid first class fare, too.
pvn is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 3:34 pm
  #278  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 10,193
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I have merged vassoo's thread into the prior SkyClub access changes thread by 355F1 after receiving a Report Bad Post message.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Mod
That may be the original name of the "alert a mod" button but I don't think we should stigmatize such posts as "bad", just "mergeable"
Zorak is online now  
Old Nov 20, 18, 8:44 pm
  #279  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,414
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Fair enough, genuinely curious but appreciate the unintended outcomes. Deleted
Of course, the quote still has your question, which I think is quite reasonable. Given the rarity of what you're doing, I don't see any issues resulting.

I think something like a connection to/from a DL flight is more likely, and the same question would arise.
sethb is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:46 pm
  #280  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco & Squaw Valley
Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum.
Posts: 2,964
Good news for Lifetime SkyClub Members: According to the new access rules, "Lifetime members may continue to access the Club with same-day ticketed air travel on any airline." Hope AA and UA follow suit.
Tanic and jamesteroh like this.
worldwidedreamer is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:48 am
  #281  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,641
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Good news for Lifetime SkyClub Members: According to the new access rules, "Lifetime members may continue to access the Club with same-day ticketed air travel on any airline." Hope AA and UA follow suit.
Smart move. There can't be that many of those memberships floating around. Seems like a pointless fight for DL to start.
WWads is offline  
Old Jan 6, 19, 6:42 pm
  #282  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,641
A modest proposal:

DMs no longer get a SC membership as a choice benefit. Instead, they get can select "access" similar to a Reserve card.

Purchased SC memberships still get access when flying on other airlines. As things stand, there is zero motivation for someone to buy a membership vs getting a Reserve card.
WWads is offline  
Old Jan 6, 19, 7:00 pm
  #283  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: USA
Programs: Delta DM, Marriott TE, Hertz & Avis PC
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
A modest proposal:

DMs no longer get a SC membership as a choice benefit. Instead, they get can select "access" similar to a Reserve card.

Purchased SC memberships still get access when flying on other airlines. As things stand, there is zero motivation for someone to buy a membership vs getting a Reserve card.
I use two sky choice benefits to get the executive membership. Of all of the choice benefit offerings, that is my go-to and of most value to me.
FF524 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 19, 7:11 pm
  #284  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,641
Originally Posted by FF524 View Post


I use two sky choice benefits to get the executive membership. Of all of the choice benefit offerings, that is my go-to and of most value to me.
You could continue to do this, but it still would just be access. Right now, DL has destroyed any motivation for people to buy club memberships, especially at the prices they charge.
WWads is offline  
Old Jan 6, 19, 7:33 pm
  #285  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 6,015
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
You could continue to do this, but it still would just be access. Right now, DL has destroyed any motivation for people to buy club memberships, especially at the prices they charge.
Yup, I didn’t renew my SC membership this time around because of all the changes, price increases, nonstop crowding and poor behavior from members/guests....the list goes on. Can’t believe people are paying “to relax” in that kind of atmosphere moving forward.
TheHorta likes this.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jan 6, 19 at 8:42 pm
AANYC1981 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread