Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
For the first time ever, the Delta agent at the Washington-Dulles check-in counter told me to visit the Air France/KLM lounge. In the past, access has always been a secret, if you will. In my opinion, the Air France/KLM lounge at Dulles is the single best domestic lounge for a Delta passenger.
hnewman likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:56 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
When I'm flying international, they won't take my Amex Platinum for entry, the boarding pass alone suffices.
IIUC in that case the SkyTeam Elite Plus benefit gets you in without needing any other membership or access, though, so you wouldn't need anything other than the BP.

I took a SEA-YOW-BOS-SEA circle trip lately, and didn't need to show my AXP (just a boarding pass) to get into Sky Clubs on the days I flew into and out of Canads, but did when I was leaving BOS for SEA since I didn't have a same day international flight.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CKDGM
IIUC in that case the SkyTeam Elite Plus benefit gets you in without needing any other membership or access, though, so you wouldn't need anything other than the BP.
That's right; I was responding to someone who said he always used his Amex even when traveling internationally.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
LOL! If this is true it's got to be #1 on the "rules we ignore" list. I even know a FA who will wear a uniform when flying nonrev to make sure she gets to the front of the security lines!
An FA or other crew can get away with it pretty easily and aren't likely to get caught, but it's still taking a chance.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by TTT
The Amex Plat will be a good option. In addition to the Centurion lounges, you also get Priority Pass Select which grants access to the AS lounges (capacity controlled, sometimes).

Additionally, quite a few international lounge options with PPS. They are of varying quality, but many are reasonably decent.
This topic went dormant, but I had some questions.

I have an Amex Plat and a SkyClub membership that is paid for about another five years. I am thinking of asking DL for a refund for the membership period after 1/1/2019.

Ignoring skyteam benefits, a SC member can only access Delta lounges starting 1/1/2019 and only then if flying Delta or a partner. Does "partner" mean the entire list of 26 airlines here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

At the present, I'm a domestic flyer so having access when flying a partner means zip. As a domestic flyer, it would seem the Amex Plat membership is just as good as having the SkyClub membership.

Has anybody tried to get a membership refund based on the changed access terms?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by DiverDave
This topic went dormant, but I had some questions.

I have an Amex Plat and a SkyClub membership that is paid for about another five years. I am thinking of asking DL for a refund for the membership period after 1/1/2019.

Ignoring skyteam benefits, a SC member can only access Delta lounges starting 1/1/2019 and only then if flying Delta or a partner. Does "partner" mean the entire list of 26 airlines here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

At the present, I'm a domestic flyer so having access when flying a partner means zip. As a domestic flyer, it would seem the Amex Plat membership is just as good as having the SkyClub membership.

Has anybody tried to get a membership refund based on the changed access terms?
Excellent question.

I doubt you would be given a refund unless your Amex Plat validity is also additional 5 years (although likeliness of being a member is high).

My complaint was filed to the courts in state of Georgia but didn't get enough tracking. Complaint was filed, and DL responded to both, me and the court, with a "sorry", "decisions had to be made" type letter. Court closed the case, unless further complaint or activity was warranted.

Jiburi
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Has anybody else requested a refund to lifetime Executive memberships, or sued DL for this change?
As an ex-NWA Lifetime Lounge member, this is a very disappointing move, and certainty diminishes the value of the lifetime membership I purchased...
hockeystl and NOLAnwGOLD like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I was in the HNL club recently as a memer but flying another airline. I fell asleep god forbid and got up to get water and was quickly addressed by an overzealous agent when my flight time was. I said I’m flying a different airline today and she still asked me what my departure time was and if I was SC member......so bizzare

how the hell does she think I got into the club when I literally swipped my SC card 5 feet away from her with the other check-in colleague who didn’t care about my travel plans.

i get the changes coming in 2019 but this seemed a little much.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I was in the HNL club recently as a memer but flying another airline. I fell asleep god forbid and got up to get water and was quickly addressed by an overzealous agent when my flight time was. I said I’m flying a different airline today and she still asked me what my departure time was and if I was SC member......so bizzare

how the hell does she think I got into the club when I literally swipped my SC card 5 feet away from her with the other check-in colleague who didn’t care about my travel plans.

i get the changes coming in 2019 but this seemed a little much.
In smaller clubs, the staff often try to be helpful by announcing departing flight times. Occam’s Razor suggests that likely she was just trying to make sure you made your flight if there was a bank of DL departures about to board, and then it probably just turned into curiosity or a well intentioned attempt to monitor your flight for you as well.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:09 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Seems like there might be some issues with breach of contracts from the time you purchased your lifetime membership. I have one too and wondering the same thing. Know any lawyers?? Probably have to wait until you are denied entrance for something you could do before...so there's damages to claim for...
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Seems like there might be some issues with breach of contracts from the time you purchased your lifetime membership. I have one too and wondering the same thing. Know any lawyers?? Probably have to wait until you are denied entrance for something you could do before...so there's damages to claim for...
I'm not a lawyer, but pretty sure there was a clause in the contract that said/says DL can make/change rules at its whimsy. Now as to whether that clause is enforceable, I have no idea.

Where this will blow up for Delta is in the court of public opinion. Fundamentally they sold something, and want to change terms of the deal after taking money. Would be very surprised if this does not become a media story either locally with "seven on your side" or nationally. Just because something is legal does not make it right.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I'm not a lawyer, but pretty sure there was a clause in the contract that said/says DL can make/change rules at its whimsy. Now as to whether that clause is enforceable, I have no idea.

Where this will blow up for Delta is in the court of public opinion. Fundamentally they sold something, and want to change terms of the deal after taking money. Would be very surprised if this does not become a media story either locally with "seven on your side" or nationally. Just because something is legal does not make it right.
Yes, I can just see this story on the front page of the NY Times. Clearly you have a slam dunk. What are you waiting for?
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:53 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
They should leave things as they were for the lifetime members, but prevent them from getting any hot food (tillamook and crackers only) and limit their free booze to Scorseby scotch since that was the deal when they bought their memberships.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
They should leave things as they were for the lifetime members, but prevent them from getting any hot food (tillamook and crackers only) and limit their free booze to Scorseby scotch since that was the deal when they bought their memberships.
Isn't there some sort of salty "nut" mix which should also be on that list?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer

Also members still have a lifetime membership. The benefits of that membership have changed, however they still have one. Nothing about the purchase didn't allow NW to change the house rules/terms of entry.

Finally, there's been at least 1 bankruptcy filling since then. Without reading the filings no way to know if they gave their selves an out during that process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.