Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
We are splitting hairs here... United does now require same day boarding pass to enter a UC. 2 years ago this was not a requirement.
Pretty huge difference between simply requiring a boarding pass for ANY airline and requiring one for United. And how often is anyone at the airport beyond security without a boarding pass??
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by trouble747
Pretty huge difference between simply requiring a boarding pass for ANY airline and requiring one for United. And how often is anyone at the airport beyond security without a boarding pass??
UA policy would come into play on certain red eye flights that board one day and land the next thus preventing UC access after arrival. It comes down to definition of a boarding pass
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I regret that you may learn that, at times, DL has a rather novel concept of what "lifetime" means.

Spoken by a Flying Colonel with lifetime club membership (not!).
When TiVo sold lifetime subscriptions to their service, they failed to mention that is was the lifetime of the TiVo box, not the lifetime of the subscriber. So if the box died, so did your subscription.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr

UA policy would come into play on certain red eye flights that board one day and land the next thus preventing UC access after arrival. It comes down to definition of a boarding pass
OK I guess but...wait what was your point again?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:52 am

A paid lounge membership should be a lounge membership, not lounge access. When I was a SC member I used the SC when I flew other airlines.

This makes credit card based lounge access much more valuable.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by meh130
A paid lounge membership should be a lounge membership, not lounge access. When I was a SC member I used the SC when I flew other airlines.

Does DL have a premium lounge card like UA and AA? We don't have a skyclub at AUS (yet) so I've never looked. It would seem bizarre to limit that kind of membership to delta flyers.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I regret that you may learn that, at times, DL has a rather novel concept of what "lifetime" means.

Spoken by a Flying Colonel with lifetime club membership (not!).
Or like how they change lifetime status for the MM programs to annual status
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by meh130

I agree, as long as someone can qualify for a Delta reserve Am Ex they may as well get that instead of an individual membership since it's the same price. And if someone is flying Delta enough they are willing to pay for a Skyclub membership changes are they have status with Delta and the reserve card could help their upgrade chances as well plus they'll get the companion cert.

This also makes the medallion choice benefit of the sky club membership a lot less valuable.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I predict that DL will roll this back when a bunch of people at competitive stations cancel their memberships and opt for AA or UA.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:27 am

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by LBJ
It hasn't technically been "whenever" for awhile now. They've required that you have a same day flight (any airline) for several years.

Not correct. I sometimes use Sky Clubs when flying another airline, or even when coming to the airport for a meeting, and the lounge staff have regularly gone out of their way to emphasize that this is permissible with a paid membership. In fact, I’m in the ORD Sky Club right now even though I flew in on United (on a nonstop route that Delta does not fly — though I did fly DL transcon yesterday). I always point out when I’m not on Delta, and the lounge checkers are unfailingly polite in telling me that I’m warmly welcome with my lifetime Sky Club card.

Today the receptionist explained that one year from now the Sky Club policy will change, and anyone using the club must have a same-day Delta (or SkyTeam, presumably) boarding pass. This does seem to violate the contract I have with them; I paid to be a Club member, not an “occasionally when it suits Delta” club member. I dropped some serious cash to buy this access.

Last edited by Horizons; Jan 25, 2018 at 10:33 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horizons

Not correct. I sometimes use Sky Clubs when flying another airline, or even when coming to the airport for a meeting, and the lounge staff have regularly gone out of their way to emphasize that this is permissible with a paid membership. In fact, I’m in the ORD Sky Club right now even though I flew in on United (on a nonstop route that Delta does not fly — though I did fly DL transcon yesterday). I always point out when I’m not on Delta, and the lounge checkers are unfailingly polite in telling me that I’m warmly welcome with my lifetime Sky Club card.

Today the receptionist explained that one year from now the Sky Club policy will change, and anyone using the club must have a same-day Delta (or SkyTeam, presumably) boarding pass. This does seem to violate the contract I have with them; I paid to be a Club member, not an “occasionally when it suits Delta” club member. I dropped some serious cash to buy this access.
I've used the BNA skyclub a couple times in the past year when flying on Southwest with no issues. A friend of mine that flies united sometimes from Chicago has had no issues using the Skyclub there so not sure why people are saying it's been a policy for a while unless they are trying to gain entrance through an Am Ex swipe. I was at ORD last year and was behind a DYKWIA type who was flying united and his flight was really delayed and was upset that the ORD skyclub wouldn't allow him entrance with his Am Ex card on a United boarding pass which I think is a fair policy.

If someone has a lifetime membership they should honor the original T&C of the agreement. But I wouldn't be surprised if Delta doesn't. I signed up for a three year membership back when I was PM and was told that if I made diamond during that period the remaining portion of the membership would be tacked on after I lost the diamond status. Delta changed their policy on that so I spent money on a three year membership that only gave me six months of benefits
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
As long as the US court system is so stacked against individuals, contracts with large corporations are basically one-way streets.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If someone has a lifetime membership they should honor the original T&C of the agreement. But I wouldn't be surprised if Delta doesn't.
Most of the T&s's of contracts of adhesion indicate that the more powerful party (Delta in this case) has the right to change rules at their prerogative. Now given the diversity of ways that people have acquired Lifetime SkyClub memberships (from Western, PanAm, NWA, etc.) there might be different governing terms depending on how one obtained grandfathered status. At the same time for the vast majority of members who have subscription terms for a period of time, any damages would probably be limited to a partially pro rated rebate of funds paid.

Life SkyClub members were grandfathered in with Executive membership. A very reasonable, and easy, way to resolve this conflict would be for Delta to maintain benefits for Executive members (i.e. access when not flying Delta and possibly some partner lounge access) and reduce the benefits for general members.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

When TiVo sold lifetime subscriptions to their service, they failed to mention that is was the lifetime of the TiVo box, not the lifetime of the subscriber. So if the box died, so did your subscription.
No they didn't. As someone who has had several TiVos with lifetime subscriptions, I've read upon each purchase that it's a subscription for the lifetime of the box.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horizons

As I stated, the membership rules have required that you have same-day boarding pass on any airline for awhile now. If you've been let without a same-day flight on any airline, it was a nice gesture by the agent but not part of the rules. As far as the new rule, it allows entry when flying DL same-day or any of it's partners. All of this is covered plainly on the website, so no need for conjecture or relying on an agent's claims.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...use-rules.html

"Delta Sky Club Members can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel but such travel may be on any airline."

"Effective January 1, 2019, Delta Sky Club members may only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines and will no longer have access to partner lounges."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.