Search

Amsterdam Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:07 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jazzhou
When transferring in AMS from DL to KL for FRA, I understand we need to clear immigration at AMS. How about checked through baggage? Do I need to retrieve the baggage after immigration in AMS, and recheck/redeposit it again for the connecting KL flight to FRA?
No, you will just need to go through passport control in AMS. Your luggage will be transferred for you.
jazzhou likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Grouchy
There is always Privium, you need to go to the special Privium gates at every border control at Schiphol. Fast (security) and border clearance.
Also currently no guests allowed at certain times by KLM @AMS;

As of 1 June 2017 until March 2019 from 07:30 to 11:00 hours (peak hours) the following entry rules apply:

* Lounge vouchers are not accepted.
* Staff and Duty travel customers are not accepted
* Guests of Flying Blue Platinum and Flying Blue Gold and SkyTeam Elite Plus members are only accepted outside peak hours
* Guests of Ultimate, Skipper and C2000 customers are accepted
* Customers travelling to a Schengen destination can make use of the KLM Schengen Crown Lounge (25) instead.
Grouchy,

Does this mean that my wife and I, both Sky Team Elite Plus, can use the Privium gates for Passport Control and each bring one of our kids with us at 06:00, arriving US to AMS connecting KLM AMS-PRG in April?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Grouchy,

Does this mean that my wife and I, both Sky Team Elite Plus, can use the Privium gates for Passport Control and each bring one of our kids with us at 06:00, arriving US to AMS connecting KLM AMS-PRG in April?
Unfortunately not. Privium is an "members only" program which requires paid membership for every person using it. Basic membership ( good for fast immigration but no lounge access ) will cost you 130 Euros - every year!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Grouchy,

Not as a STE+, you only can use the Privium gates if you are a Privium member. To get that you first have to go through some checks done by the KMAR (and pay a yearly fee). Might be (only) worth it if you travel a lot from/to/through AMS.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:54 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I have found the SP lane at AMS to be perfectly efficient, especially that early.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by tuono07
I'll be taking the family to Rome for thanksgiving flying ATL, Ewr, AMS, FCO ( cheap flight). In Amsterdam Will we have to go through passport controls and if so is there a Sky Prority line I can use as a Delta Gold?

also I'm I correct that I can access the lounges with my wife as DL Gold on all legs?

thanks
Yes. You will go through passport control from the non-Schengen international transit lounge to the Schengen area transit lounge. Upon arrival at FCO, you will not need to go through passport control in Italy. This is similar to the experience with U.S. customs pre-clearance in Mexico, the Caribbean, and Ireland, then not needing to go through it once you arrive in the U.S.

The non-Schengen to Schengen transition in AMS is passport control only. No customs or baggage. IIRC, the "international" departure lounge is on one level, and the Schengen departure lounge is on the floor directly above it. Schengen and non-Schengen share gates by blocking certain doors and escalators, similar to how international gates are used as domestic gates in some U.S. airports.

AMS can be confusing because the floor plan and gate location depicted do not always make it clear.

The line for the passport control into and out of Schengen can get long. The best approach is to go through passport control to the departure lounge you need to be in an stay there. I saw some people miss flights because they were unaware of this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
"Gate D1"

Piling in on this thread as all Delta flights in AMS now seem to say "Go to Gate D1". After I stood at the D gate entry for the usual "is this luggage yours" questions, they sent me to someplace far off like Gate E that I had to run to to make the time cutoff (well OK, when I got there, there was the usual boarding craziness so it didn't matter).

I am wondering, is this D gate security question stuff no longer possible to do for ST Elites near the KLM lounge as was the case a couple of years back? And, since the D gate luggage security check no longer exists, is it now (more) convenient to pick up a bottle of duty-free at AMS for the trip home?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:23 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
Piling in on this thread as all Delta flights in AMS now seem to say "Go to Gate D1". After I stood at the D gate entry for the usual "is this luggage yours" questions, they sent me to someplace far off like Gate E that I had to run to to make the time cutoff (well OK, when I got there, there was the usual boarding craziness so it didn't matter).

I am wondering, is this D gate security question stuff no longer possible to do for ST Elites near the KLM lounge as was the case a couple of years back? And, since the D gate luggage security check no longer exists, is it now (more) convenient to pick up a bottle of duty-free at AMS for the trip home?
I did security questions by the lounge this February. I’m sure others will have more recent datapoints.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by C W
I did security questions by the lounge this February. I’m sure others will have more recent datapoints.
Security questions by the L52 lounge entrance is still offered, used it in late October. It isn't offered at all hours of DL departures, though (and I don't know where one finds the hours. I think it closes at 1pm but don't quote me. I know it was closed once when I was planning to use it for a 3:10p departure back to the US and was redirected back to D1)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Confirming that the DL security podium was outside Crown Lounge 52 as of last week late morning (and incidentally, there was also a podium upstairs from the KL Sky Priority ticket counters, right before you go through security as well).
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by jazzhou
When transferring in AMS from DL to KL for FRA, I understand we need to clear immigration at AMS. How about checked through baggage? Do I need to retrieve the baggage after immigration in AMS, and recheck/redeposit it again for the connecting KL flight to FRA?
You pick up your checked luggage in FRA, you don't see it in AMS.
jazzhou likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.