Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What does Delta do with empty business class seats on NYC > LAX and SFO flights?

What does Delta do with empty business class seats on NYC > LAX and SFO flights?

Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
don't know specifically when but the language reflects it now on the website.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...l-changes.html

If you have a premium cabin fare, you may make same-day confirmed changes as long as a seat is available in the below scenarios:
  • If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
  • If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
Well, damn. This was one of my favorite technicalities when SDCing on a connecting transcon flight. I'm not at all surprised they changed the policy though.

Was there any announcement about this, and/or does anyone know when this took effect? DL usually sends emails about policy changes, but I don't recall seeing anything about this in my inbox.

I also wonder how they will treat DMs here. There are several reports of unpublished/secret benefits here on FT of DMs being upgraded to D1 on the East/West transcons when seats are available.

Also, the new SDC terms still say "Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible" but in my experience (and, again, backed up by several reports here on FT), co-terminal changes are allowed as a DM so long as you reach a competent phone rep.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
Well, damn. This was one of my favorite technicalities when SDCing on a connecting transcon flight. I'm not at all surprised they changed the policy though.

Was there any announcement about this, and/or does anyone know when this took effect? DL usually sends emails about policy changes, but I don't recall seeing anything about this in my inbox.

I also wonder how they will treat DMs here. There are several reports of unpublished/secret benefits here on FT of DMs being upgraded to D1 on the East/West transcons when seats are available.

Also, the new SDC terms still say "Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible" but in my experience (and, again, backed up by several reports here on FT), co-terminal changes are allowed as a DM so long as you reach a competent phone rep.
Well darn. I'm sure it was people like me who once used SDC to switch from BWI-DTW-LAX to BWI-JFK-LAX. $450 RT ticket in FC.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
They go empty. If it's a night flight, DL turns on the reading light at each empty seat to spotlight what you're missing. (just to rub it in) LOL
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well that must be brand new within the past week or so. I looked at the rules earlier this month and saw the 'old' version that didn't state anything about restrictions to D1 on SDC.

If DL really thought about this, they would allow it for a nominal 'upgrade fee' from F->D1.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oops, deleted stupid question
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
repeat.

Last edited by apodo77; Nov 15, 2017 at 9:42 pm
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
Well that must be brand new within the past week or so. I looked at the rules earlier this month and saw the 'old' version that didn't state anything about restrictions to D1 on SDC.

If DL really thought about this, they would allow it for a nominal 'upgrade fee' from F->D1.
Noticed it for the first time on Tuesday.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WWads
Well darn. I'm sure it was people like me who once used SDC to switch from BWI-DTW-LAX to BWI-JFK-LAX. $450 RT ticket in FC.
only once?
I’m highly confident that I can point to at least a almost two dozen times over the past five years, probably half of those involving adding the LAX<—>JFK leg into a (most often redeye) SEA<—>WAS trip

Last edited by jrl767; Nov 15, 2017 at 10:05 pm Reason: checked my log
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
They'll happily let them go empty in my experience. Around Christmas last year I was on a 757 LAX-JFK that had all of four people including myself in the D1 cabin - no nonrevs and nobody was upgraded.

Usually they'll fill up with a combination of paid pax and RUC/GUC usage, I've often seen people on the UG list not clear even.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I'm sure they'll happily process your SDC request in exchange for the appropriate fare difference.

Why would they allow it for a nominal 'upgrade fee' if they "really thought about this"? That runs counter to everything else they're doing to keep the cost of D1 high.
pvn likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bennos
Why would they allow it for a nominal 'upgrade fee' if they "really thought about this"?
This is essentially a DYKWIA type of complaint. "Well obviously Delta didn't consider how *I* feel about this, clearly since **I** don't like it they are going to suffer a huge monetary loss, CHESSMATE BEANCOUNTERS!"
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This simply brings the D1 domestic routes into line with DL's treatment of D1 internationally.

Social media is the likely culprit on the SDC issue. If one person every couple of weeks slid by, nobody would say anything. Not worth it. But, once people start lengthy discussion on social media sites and the numbers go up, it's an issue and it gets dealt with.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
This is essentially a DYKWIA type of complaint. "Well obviously Delta didn't consider how *I* feel about this, clearly since **I** don't like it they are going to suffer a huge monetary loss, CHESSMATE BEANCOUNTERS!"
Sorry but I take offense at that. Nowhere did I say or imply that this would be impacting me. I was simply mentioning/questioning Delta's decision to just cut if off entirely, since they are pushing FCM everywhere else and this seemed like another opportunity to make some incremental 'upgrade' money.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Sorry but I take offense at that. Nowhere did I say or imply that this would be impacting me. I was simply mentioning/questioning Delta's decision to just cut if off entirely, since they are pushing FCM everywhere else and this seemed like another opportunity to make some incremental 'upgrade' money.
If you weren't talking about the change affecting you personally, then my comment clearly wasn't about you.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
This simply brings the D1 domestic routes into line with DL's treatment of D1 internationally.

Social media is the likely culprit on the SDC issue. If one person every couple of weeks slid by, nobody would say anything. Not worth it. But, once people start lengthy discussion on social media sites and the numbers go up, it's an issue and it gets dealt with.
What irritates me is every so often Jennifer Aniston comes on board and asks where the premium class cabin is, and they tell her this is it, Delta's most superior premium product and she says really, I thought this was just for upgrades, people actually pay how much for this? She got into a big argument with the FA's one time because they told her the price and she said they were lying and she said well is the food better than intra-European business class, and all the passengers in D1 said "if only! it were as good as that" and the purser got upset and cried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.