Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Two Versions of "Z" class on KLM for upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Versions of "Z" class on KLM for upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Alaska Airlines, SPG, Hilton
This really is a mess and I agree that Delta should not make this so hard and they should offer better training to their representatives.
Based on the terms and conditions that I copied below it seems like it should be easy for the DL reps to process these GUCs on Delta marketed and KL operated flights. The search on EF for KL upgrades says that "Z" is "Business--Upgrade with DL SWU/Global Upgrades & Fare Class" so that seems like an upgradeable Z class versus a paid Z class. Oy vey!

"For travel on KLM-operated, Delta-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class." and ...

"Delta representatives must book in "RP/OP" class and travel agencies must book in "R/O" class; reservations must be booked in "Z" class on KL, and reservations on AF Premium Voyageur must be booked in "A" class and Affaires Class must be booked in "O" class."
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
There is the version where you can upgrade off any fare which is rarely available.

Then there is the version where you can upgrade from full fare (Y and maybe B/M) but this is usually almost as much or more than discounted J.

I don't understand the nuances (fare class, marketing carrier, etc.) of it; all I understand is it almost never works. And AF is even worse.

Be aware that if you participate in SPG crossover you will not get credit if they change it to KLM flight number when reissuing.

Best bet is to take DL metal if anything is available.

This whole program is a mess.
It's not really that hard, and I've managed to use all four of my GUCs on KLM for the past two years. It's clear that agents are misinformed, but it's quite easy to get done by hanging up a few times or asking the twitter team.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
DL twitter processed my upgrade earlier this year on a tatl flight with intra-euro connection. Had to remind them to get the connecting segment upgraded also since they just did the tatl leg at first, but they knew how to do it.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
The agent is correct. AF/KL have several inventories that are for both award and revenue flights:
Business Z in KL
Premium Economy A in AF
Economy X in AF
In fact, KLM can issue awards in each of the following classes: O, C, D, Z, X, B, Q, T, N, E, R and V

(Whether Delta has access to all of these in the "award" sphere, I don't know)

Of these, only O is purely reserved for mileage purposes; X is also reserved for mileage purposes only for longhaul flights.

The rest all exist both as revenue and as mileage classes, possibly with different availabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.