Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Family of 3 Got bumped from Delta to WestJet flight

Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond

YVR To HNL
Wife and I are GM

i earned 2704 miles + 25% west jet bonus for a total of 3380 miles

wife got ~1000 miles

Daughter has no status yet.
daughter got 650miles

wife and daughter bought tickets on same reservation.

Mine was a separate ticket which cost me $20 more than theirs.

Any any idea why the huge difference in mile earnings?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
Please correct me if I am wrong but can't all three passengers also claim original routing credit on delta as well as the miles credit on west jet?

As for the miles and bonus miles, what fare class was each booking? Different classes earn different miles.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:21 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SouthernCanada
Please correct me if I am wrong but can't all three passengers also claim original routing credit on delta as well as the miles credit on west jet?
I'm guessing that they're probably not interested in collecting WestJet miles.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Need more info.

What were your original flight numbers? Ie DL or WS coded flights. Also who was the otiginal ticket bought from.

Finally what where the rebooked flight numbers? Ie Did they book you on WS or DL codeshare on WS flught numbers? Also did DL or WS do the rebooking?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
If you were involuntarily rebooked (due to weather, overbooking etc) from a Delta flight (there is no nonstop service, so that would be say YVR-SEA-HNL on Delta) and were moved over to WestJet operated nonstop service... You should be able to claim the original routing mileage you would have earned on Delta.

Is that the case here?

Or were you booked on a Delta coded WestJet operated nonstop flight, and subsequently due to schedule change or some other IROP were rebooked onto the same WestJet nonstop flight but with a WS flight number instead of as a DL flight number?

Delta offers miles for folks booked on WestJet ranging from 50% of actual miles flown for most discounted fares, up to 75% of miles flown for higher fare tickets, up to 100% or 125% of miles flown for the 3 highest fare buckets including full Y.

YVR-HNL is 2706 miles so the minimum you should have earned even at 50% should have been 1350 or thereabouts.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamuelS
If you were involuntarily rebooked (due to weather, overbooking etc) from a Delta flight (there is no nonstop service, so that would be say YVR-SEA-HNL on Delta) and were moved over to WestJet operated nonstop service... You should be able to claim the original routing mileage you would have earned on Delta.

Is that the case here?

Or were you booked on a Delta coded WestJet operated nonstop flight, and subsequently due to schedule change or some other IROP were rebooked onto the same WestJet nonstop flight but with a WS flight number instead of as a DL flight number?

Delta offers miles for folks booked on WestJet ranging from 50% of actual miles flown for most discounted fares, up to 75% of miles flown for higher fare tickets, up to 100% or 125% of miles flown for the 3 highest fare buckets including full Y.

YVR-HNL is 2706 miles so the minimum you should have earned even at 50% should have been 1350 or thereabouts.

Yes it was an IROP due to Deltas plane being broken (delayed for ~3 hours before the asked us all to deplane).

We booked via Delta Flight originally YVR > LAX > HNL. (DL Flight Numbers)

got put on WestJet by Delta ground agent, on a direct from YVR > HNL. (WS Flight #)

I don't have paper tickets cause I was originally using my phone so is there a way to go back and see the fare class?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Can't you just go to My Account Activity on delta.com or the app and see the breakdown? Doesn't that explain how your miles are earned?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm guessing that they're probably not interested in collecting WestJet miles.
It’s a little tricky because Westjet is a Delta partner and miles accrue to Delta for flying them if you have attached a DL number to the reservation.

So the correct approach is, as others have said, to request original routing credit in lieu of the Westjet flight credit for the direct.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Can't you just go to My Account Activity on delta.com or the app and see the breakdown? Doesn't that explain how your miles are earned?

If it did I wouldnt have posted it here. =(

looking at all 3 accounts on delta.com they are all different.

mine has base miles + bonus, my wifes base miles are 1k vs my 2704.
my daughter has 6xx.

Here is mine. i'll post theirs in a few.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA
It’s a little tricky because Westjet is a Delta partner and miles accrue to Delta for flying them if you have attached a DL number to the reservation.

So the correct approach is, as others have said, to request original routing credit in lieu of the Westjet flight credit for the direct.
thanks we will email delta and see if they will process it this way
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cboy
If it did I wouldnt have posted it here. =(

looking at all 3 accounts on delta.com they are all different.

mine has base miles + bonus, my wifes base miles are 1k vs my 2704.
my daughter has 6xx.

Here is mine. i'll post theirs in a few.
Sounds like wife/childs is based off fare and yours off distance. You snap above shows no ticket #, thus yours is method D - distance based. If booked on 006 stock then there's is correct. In fact if you were on 006 stock you should be based on fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.