Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2 Amex Delta cards = 2 free checked bags ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Amex Delta cards = 2 free checked bags ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:09 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question 2 Amex Delta cards = 2 free checked bags ?

Sorry if this should be in the Delta forum, please move if applicable.

I mean, why not, right? You are paying 2 annual fees for 2 Amex Delta cards.

Obviously, some benefits like priority boarding, you can't quantifiably (sp?) get twice as fast boarding. And you can't get 4x on Delta purchases since you can't use 2 credit cards simultaneously for a transaction.

But the checked bag benefit comes with just carrying the card. You would think carrying 2 cards would give you 2 free bags, no?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:52 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I believe the way they approach it is "if your Skymiles account has a Delta CC attached to it, you get a free checked bag." So the number of credit cards you hold isn't relevant.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80

But the checked bag benefit comes with just carrying the card. You would think carrying 2 cards would give you 2 free bags, no?
Correct. No. But to be sure you could try it and let us know.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Reason I asked was I'm looking to drop my Amex Delta Gold if they don't offer retention, since the AF hit just now. I'm also planning to open an Amex Delta Gold business version before my trip next Feb. If it was a sure thing about two free bags, I would keep both regardless of retention offer.

But you guys are probably right. I believe the wording, now that I think of it, says something to the effect of "the *first* bag is free". You can't have two first bags. But you can have a first and a second lol.

The first free checked bag is useless for int'l flights as you already get the first one free. Wish the wording said "*a* free checked bag".
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:40 pm

What if 2 traveling together both have the Delta Amex? Do they each have a free checked bag for themselves and the other and be entitled to 2 bags each? The logic being that if one is denied, it does not fulfill that card's benefits?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:32 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
It doesn’t give you a checked bag free. It gives you the first checked bag free. Thus only one, regardless of multiple cards, various statues etc.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

I wish the Amex Delta Reserve offered two free checked bags, then it would make up for the high AF. I don't really fly domestic so the first free checked bag benefit is useless in my case, since international flights already include a free bag.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by alien
What if 2 traveling together both have the Delta Amex? Do they each have a free checked bag for themselves and the other and be entitled to 2 bags each? The logic being that if one is denied, it does not fulfill that card's benefits?
Please read the terms and conditions (this is for the Gold AMEX, but the others have similar or exact matching terms).
Fee waiver also available for passengers traveling in the same reservation as the Basic Card Member. Maximum nine waivers per reservation.
The person traveling with you gets a waiver as well.

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
I wish the Amex Delta Reserve offered two free checked bags, then it would make up for the high AF. I don't really fly domestic so the first free checked bag benefit is useless in my case, since international flights already include a free bag.
Make up for the high annual fee? The AF on that card is chump change compared to the benefits.
Get a yearly Delta Sky Club membership and the fee has already been reimbursed to yourself. Add in the free checked bags (I've read your checked bag comment, but AMEX doesn't take just you into account), free yearly first class domestic companion ticket, and the 15,000 annual miles boost with relatively low minimum spend during the year, and the card is a no-brainier.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Please read the terms and conditions (this is for the Gold AMEX, but the others have similar or exact matching terms).

The person traveling with you gets a waiver as well.

Make up for the high annual fee? The AF on that card is chump change compared to the benefits.
Get a yearly Delta Sky Club membership and the fee has already been reimbursed to yourself. Add in the free checked bags (I've read your checked bag comment, but AMEX doesn't take just you into account), free yearly first class domestic companion ticket, and the 15,000 annual miles boost with relatively low minimum spend during the year, and the card is a no-brainier.
Not necessarily true for a second card which is OP's point. I am cancelling my second card with the new DM waiver requirement for 2018, second card does not get any additional SkyClub access and I routinely have my second companion cert expire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.