Wiki Posts
Search

747 Farewell Tour and Auction

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thezipper
Its quite sad that Delta has decided to make this more of an employee event than letting the passengers have a final turn on the queen like United did. I guess it's just not their style... I mean, only 5 "winners" per flight can participate... provided they have the miles, which we see will be astronomical...
I remember back to the FlyerTalk events we had to celebrate the final DC-10 and 742 flights...
Yeah that is a shame. I would have thought the employee flight would be the flight to VCV. That's what Delta did with the L-1011. It would be nice to allow as many passengers as possible to say goodbye to the 747. I hope those who are PMDL customers like me will refrain from bidding to allow those who are PMNW to enjoy the experience. The 747 means a lot more to them.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Delta Gold, Delta 0.17 MM
Originally Posted by indufan
I can start row two. I love the MD-88.
Off topic, but after an unsuccessful search, can you remind me what the final MD-88 route is?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flying_gibbon
Off topic, but after an unsuccessful search, can you remind me what the final MD-88 route is?
That fleet isn't scheduled for retirement. We just know it is somewhere around 2020-2021. But I would imagine something like DFW-CVG-ATL would be the retirement route if Delta chooses to do anything. More than likely they will just set it out on the curb on trash day.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Delta Gold, Delta 0.17 MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That fleet isn't scheduled for retirement. We just know it is somewhere around 2020-2021. But I would imagine something like DFW-CVG-ATL would be the retirement route if Delta chooses to do anything. More than likely they will just set it out on the curb on trash day.
Haha! Ahh, I didn't think it was anytime "soon." Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I would gladly take part in a CR2 retirement flight @:-)

Especially if they let us do an Office Space on it afterward.
javabytes and youvesaiditall like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
Its quite sad that Delta has decided to make this more of an employee event than letting the passengers have a final turn on the queen like United did. I guess it's just not their style... I mean, only 5 "winners" per flight can participate... provided they have the miles, which we see will be astronomical...
Yes, quite sad that DL chooses to treat their employees well and provide them a nice benefit for their service and sacrifice to the company
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Situation
Yes, quite sad that DL chooses to treat their employees well and provide them a nice benefit for their service and sacrifice to the company
I suggest you review the L-1011 and 767-200 retirements. There was ample opportunity for both customers and employees to take part in the retirement flights. This 747 retirement is highly irregular.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This 747 retirement is highly irregular.
I was thinking the same thing.... while it’s Delta’s party and they can do whatever they want, however they want, - I’m not sure I would want to win one of the auction spots.

If there’s 350 seats per flight and only 5 pair will go to the general public that’s kind of like crashing the company party. I would expect lots of discussions and conversations about past company experiences that the 10 winners were not a part of.

I took my last 747 ride in September and it was a great goodbye flight. For me, I don’t think these party flights would measure up to the great memories I already have. My only regret is that I didn’t take more photos.

The cynic in me also speculates that between the 30 passengers Delta will probably clear more than 10,000,000 Skymiles off the books. At that valuation, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if the number of spaces doubled later and additional outside passengers were added. (Of course the explanation would be “due to the tremendous demand for the experiences offered and in order to benefit Delta’s loyal Skymiles members...”).

Again total speculation on my part but you’ve heard it here first.

Last edited by lov2fly; Nov 16, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Great news sadly I dint have Delta miles.

Who knows a Delta employee I can speak with to help get me a seat?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
LOL, your deflection means I am 100% wrong and you are 100% right
... You've lost me there, bud.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I for one LOVE the MD-88/90/717
Me, too. And the 757. Would do some final rides on them as well when their days come. Loved the 717 since my first flight on one of them many years ago with HA inter-island.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I've done a retirement flight to the boneyard at Marana before, on the 747 in fact. There were about 20 of us on the upper deck. These airplanes are being return to the lessor, and they must be returned in a certain condition. Except for safety cards, the rest of the airplane was almost totally stripped down on the inside. No magazines, No food, no drinks, no IFE, lavatories drained and locked out (except for 1 on the UD as I recall). Then, at Marana, we basically had to climb down on some rickety ladder directly onto the tarmac. The pilots told us that on previous trips there, the ground handler drove a beltloader up to door 2L, and the pilots had to climb out onto the belt loader and were lowered to the ground on that. Except for a few metal hangars there really aren't any facilities there, no public transportation. TUS airport is 30 miles away. Also from a security perspective, you aren't allowed to take pictures at the site as most of the lessors are rather particular about their property being photographed / documented as being "there." The experience was unique but almost anti-climactic given the relatively uneventful flight, and basically having to leave the property as soon as we landed.

I respect that some will be disappointed with how the finale flights are being carried out, but there's really no way to safely and securely transport 376 people on a one-way ticket to the middle of the Arizona desert, have a soiree in a hangar, and get them back out on scheduled service.

On the balance, you can add one more name to the MD-88 retirement flight. Maybe marketing can go ahead and put that auction online while we're at it, since the interest definitely seems to be there Can I reserve seat 2D?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
Does the website even work?

Is the website working for anyone? I keep getting an error cannot find server ..
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:30 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Since I probably won't be able to afford to bid on this with the paltry amount of Skymiles I currently have (250,000ish), I decided to do the next best thing....

Only costs $190 per night, and I have a mileage run to ARN coming up in Jan!

​​​​​​https://www.jumbostay.com/

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer

On the balance, you can add one more name to the MD-88 retirement flight. Maybe marketing can go ahead and put that auction online while we're at it, since the interest definitely seems to be there Can I reserve seat 2D?
Sign me up for 3D then! (I'd rather kick your seat for the last flight rather than indufan...though that could be fun as well )
indufan and PurdueFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.