Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 Farewell Tour and Auction

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd wager we are looking at 500K plus on every single one of them. I'd love to do one ATL-MSP but I just can't dish out that many SkyMiles.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by rylan
I'm curious about the routing etc also... the DTW-SEA says departs 7am, arrives 1pm. Thats 9hrs blocked, since there is a 3hrs time change. Or did they mean arrives 10am SEA time?

Wonder if they'll have any special things on board for these flights.
744 is first flying into PAE.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Eddie98
Can you add hangar party in ATL? Can't believe there is nothing more in ATL being DL is HQ here.
Would love to take my kid to it.
There is a ATL party. But it's strictly confined to DL.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I'd wager we are looking at 500K plus on every single one of them. I'd love to do one ATL-MSP but I just can't dish out that many SkyMiles.
You could do what I did and buy a one-way Delta One SM ticket for 220k ICN-DTW. Only 4 seats left.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
This is the type of event that makes me enjoy being a miles hoarder. But at the same time, given that I’m programmed to hoard, I don’t think I could bring myself to fork over the amount of miles this is going to take to win. But I guess we’ll see. Long time to go until December 1. And it would mean changing already purchased holiday tickets to achieve as well, adding more cost to the equation. Hmmmmmm, but this will be a blast for those who do it!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by gooselee
I personally agree with your calculation, but these flights are all hub-to-hub and there are plenty of people with a glut of both muiles and nostalgia. They aren't looking at this as a flight to a destination. They're looking at it as a unique experience with literally no actual price tag.

If it's worth $500 to you, maybe $750 for someone else isn't so far off. And if $750 is fair, then maybe $1000. So why not $2k? $5k? $10k? More?
I get that in these auction formats people get caught up and over pay but speculating million miles is ridiculous

Don't forget its ONE WAY, now if they included a return flight on a private jet I might consider 200K miles bid

I've done the upper deck on a 747 multiple times so I'm good.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
A million really?

I can take 6 flights in J for that at a value over $21,000

If you are foolish enough to burn that many for a 3 hr flight then be my guest.
Well said
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Disappointing that there's no way for the average person to buy seats for the retirement flights. There's no way I can spend the amount of SkyPesos that will undoubtedly be required to win those auctions. For the best miles versus time ratio, you'll be better off buying a normal award ticket to ICN.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
I believe on the 18th, the routing is DTW-PAE-SEA, so the total block time includes the Paine Field stop.

Not sure what specifics are planned for PAE.
Where did you hear this? It surely doesn't mention this on the bidding website.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I get that in these auction formats people get caught up and over pay but speculating million miles is ridiculous

Don't forget its ONE WAY, now if they included a return flight on a private jet I might consider 200K miles bid

I've done the upper deck on a 747 multiple times so I'm good.
Again, I don't disagree with you myself in terms of what I would personally pay. But given where the auctions already are, it seems there are plenty of folks who do.

As a result, I don't think 1 million RDM is out of the question. I think 500-700k is far more likely, but really would not be surprised if 1MM was reached for at least a couple of them.

Also remember that someone with 1MM RDM to burn probably values RDM far differently than most of us on FT. These folks have piles of miles and nothing to do with them. RDM are worth nothing if they just sit in your account.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Did anyone notice one of the "catches" in the bidding?
WHAT IS AUTO BID EXTEND?
If a bid is placed in the last 5 minutes of an auction, Auto Bid Extend automatically extends the auction for 5 minutes. Once all bidding has stopped for 5 minutes, the auction closes.

So the auction can go past the published deadline and since it only takes 1,000 miles for a new bid and with people already bidding 6 figure bids, I see the final total being quite high.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Hey SkyMiles Team — any chance you might add an option to buy just the hangar party in MSP? I see you're offering that in DTW and with a wife who will be 39.5 weeks pregnant on 12/20, I don't think the flight is a great idea for me, much as I would love to do it. But I could totally do the last party... Please? Pretty please?
+1 here. As the ATL-MSP & Hanger party is on the 20th id really really like to just do the party in MSP as its actually my birthday as well. Id love to be able to buy the hanger party!!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Indeed. I'm rather going to enjoy watching the extent to which people are willing to set fire to their miles.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
There is nothing ridiculous about my speculation. We are only 24 hours in and one auction has already passed 200,000 and several others aren't far behind. For someone who loves the 747 it's a priceless opportunity.

Thankfully my two favorite DL aircraft are the 757 and MD-88 and they will likely be retired with no fanfare so getting seats on the last flights should be easy for me. Most people on FT hate both of them with a passion.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Did anyone notice one of the "catches" in the bidding?
WHAT IS AUTO BID EXTEND?
If a bid is placed in the last 5 minutes of an auction, Auto Bid Extend automatically extends the auction for 5 minutes. Once all bidding has stopped for 5 minutes, the auction closes.

So the auction can go past the published deadline and since it only takes 1,000 miles for a new bid and with people already bidding 6 figure bids, I see the final total being quite high.
Thats pretty standard to prevent last second auction bid sniping.
miraclebear2003 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.