Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help! Delta gave me extra miles and now they won't take them back!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

Two days ago, I got my second mileage boost from my Amex card, which gets me to about 47,000 MQMs for the year. Perfect. I'll roll over 22,000 to 2018 and start from a good base.

Then disaster struck. I got an email this morning congratulating me on achieving gold status. I checked my account and, sure enough, the transaction got duplicated. Now, I have gold status (not too different from silver) but only carry over 7,000. Curse you, Perry the Platypus Delta!

So I called Delta this morning to ask them to remove the extra MQMs. The CSR was lovely, but clearly did not get a lot of calls from customers asking to have miles removed from their account. She checked with her help desk and then sent me over to Amex.

I got through to Amex and got through to another confused representative (BTW, I love the outsourced call centers. The representatives are so ridiculously friendly that it always makes me smile.). He didn't know what to do either, so he checked with his help desk. Then he checked again. They had no record of the second transfer. I promised him that the extra miles were there and he seemed to believe me. He escalated it and promised to get back to me.

I have no doubt that the computer error will eventually be caught, since they always seem to be (hopefully, not until after my current trip gets credited), but how can I not appreciate the irony of the situation? For the first time, Delta makes a bank error in my favor and it's the one time that I didn't want it!

All my problems should be this grave.

Mike
BeckhamsTears and calrick like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:02 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
This has gotta be a FlyerTalk first . . . . Someone trying SO HARD to be SILVER!!!

Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
With any luck, they'll accidentally post it once or twice more in the process of sorting it out. #platinumorbust
QDDawg and Croptop like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Maybe he likes carrying bags for kryptonium members.
QDDawg and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL GM
I totally get it.

If the choice were to hit Gold just once, or stretch out Silver for an extra year with rollover, then I would totally stick with Silver. It guarantees that I'd get exit row + free bags + 0.01% chance at a nicer seat for all of my flights for another year.

The incremental benefits for Gold aren't that amazing. SDC is basically useless for me (leisure flier - I buy flights for when I want to fly). And on my routes, the difference from Silver to Gold on upgrades is the difference between 40th on the list to 20th.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
But at 20th you're only 18 out of the running instead of 38! I mean, c'mon.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by spamkiller
Careful or you'll be excused of putting down the OP for being Silver by using "the same old tired joke."
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is the issue that you don't think you'd be able to hit silver with 7k rollover?

I'm waiting for them to end up posting another mileage boost while trying to remove the extra
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Saw a set of these in the skyclub last week and smiled
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Well, it's a good thing that they made that mistake, because they made an announcement on the flight, asking all silver elite members to come up front to serve drinks in first class.

Mike
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mikeef
Curse you, Perry the Platypus
Nice one, Doofenschmirtz.

Originally Posted by yaychemistry
The incremental benefits for Gold aren't that amazing. SDC is basically useless for me (leisure flier - I buy flights for when I want to fly). And on my routes, the difference from Silver to Gold on upgrades is the difference between 40th on the list to 20th.
Slightly OT, but the difference from FO to GM can be quite substantial if you have reason to value SkyPriority and STE+. And lots of us find SDC quite useful, indeed.

All about personal situations, of course.
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:58 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by davetravels
This has gotta be a FlyerTalk first . . . . Someone trying SO HARD to be SILVER!!!

I guess SOME Silvers actually ENJOY carrying my luggage!
davetravels likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
The incremental benefits for Gold aren't that amazing. SDC is basically useless for me (leisure flier - I buy flights for when I want to fly).
The big benefit for gold is lounge access on international travel.
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I get lounge access thru my Amex Plat and PP.
But for me going from FO to GM is a big deal since on all of Delta's Partners, Elite Plus and Sky Priority is really nice.
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Originally Posted by wxman22
I get lounge access thru my Amex Plat and PP.
But for me going from FO to GM is a big deal since on all of Delta's Partners, Elite Plus and Sky Priority is really nice.
Originally Posted by gooselee
Slightly OT, but the difference from FO to GM can be quite substantial if you have reason to value SkyPriority and STE+. And lots of us find SDC quite useful, indeed.

All about personal situations, of course.
Yup - the value of each benefit totally depends on your flying habits.

Not to derail this thread too far (there's usually a Silver vs Gold or Gold vs Plat thread in December of each year anyway). Each year I weigh the pros/cons of one last mileage run (or the end of year status buy-up if offered). If the OP is like me, the resulting analysis usually says that the roll-over + the cost of a mileage run is worth more than the jump in status.

95% of my flying is domestic, and the 5% that's international are F/J awards, so STE+ is meh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.