Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Medallion Benefits on Air Europa (Consolidated)

Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

Has anyone flown Air Europa (DL medallion folks) and what are your thoughts? For PM on DL does Air Europa honor benefits (selecting seats, luggage, lounge access, etc)?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Ha ha ha ha ha.

Air Europa is... not a great airline. Set your expectations to 'RyanAir' and you'll be about on track.

That said, I was able to get an exit row seat assigned thanks to SkyTeam Elite Plus status. And I did receive lounge access at a contract lounge, despite the checkin agent saying I wasn't eligible and the lounge sign not including an Air Europa logo.

I got into a war of words with a gate agent about my carryon (wherein I demonstrated it fit in their ridiculous sizer, and she still wanted to force me to check it). She had printed out the bag tag and wasn't planning on charging me, so I assume you get a checked bag allowance...

Long story short, UX was not a premium experience and has way more in common with an LCC. But they did conform to the minimum expectations I have for SkyTeam benefits...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta
I had no issues with seating, baggage or lounge access, but earned zero miles as apparently my P fare class didn't qualify. I couldn't find any fare class info at all on UX but gave Delta the ticket details and they determined it.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
My experience

Flew AirEuropa, BCN to PMI (Mallorca) after arriving in from ATL in D1. Was given lounge access due to J travel and then connecting onward. No lounge access in PMI departing to BCN as I was not heading back to US until the following day. Lots of conflicting info about lounge access as Skyteam Elite+ with 3rd party lounge in PMI. Note, I was on Air Europa stock, not DL.

I received ability to choose my seats at booking (roughly 5 months ahead of time), and was not charged extra. Received all Skyteam Elite Plus benefits, luggage allowance, SkyPriority checkin and boarding.

I did not receive ANY RDM or MQMs, however. Apparently, my seats were booked in N fare which is not eligible for any accrual. My biggest peeve with that, is Air Europa does not disclose any fare class you are buying.... simply $.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum
I've flown Air Europa two separate times. Last year, I flew them from MAD-JFK. I received lounge access as a Platinum Medallion. Their wide-body planes were very basic-they had Wifi for a charge but there was no IFE, other than old TV's overhead on their Airbus A330. They also provided a free glass of wine at dinner. No other alcohol was available, even for purchase.

This past September, I flew them from IBZ-MAD on the ERJ-195. The flight was good, the plane felt newer, and I believe juice and water were served.

I wouldn't recommend them for transatlantic flights. However, their short-haul service is better than EasyJet.

My transatlantic flight was ticketed by AirEuropa but had Delta flight numbers and I received full MQMs and miles based on distance flown because it was a consolidator fare.

This year, I was ticked by AirFrance and received full MQMs and miles based on distance flown again.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Same experience as others. Fine for short haul within Europe, but you're better off paying the premium for a better airline on long hauls.

IME UX meets the bare minimum of SkyTeam requirements, and often only if you ask for things. Not necessarily a problem, just not as automatic as what you'd see on DL/AF/KL or even MU.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat
one annoying thing is companions on the same pnr do not get free advanced seat assignments (nor a free bag)
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Thanks everyone, I saw a special on Air Europa MIA-MAD, but will go ahead and skip that one
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by runningformqm
one annoying thing is companions on the same pnr do not get free advanced seat assignments (nor a free bag)
My experience contradicts this, somewhat. I was able to pre select both seats at no charge, row 1, at no charge. You are correct, however, that the extra baggage allowance was only available to me as STE+. On the return, they only put the Priority back tag on my luggage and not my spouse.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I was just given a complementary upgrade due to diamond Medallion status and ST elite plus status on air Europa. The flight was not oversold in economy and I was told air Europa gives complementary upgrades on domestic flights to its own elites as well as to those of sky team. I have never experienced that before and fly them often within Spain but I happily took the upgrade.
kthomas and BenA like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I was just given a complementary upgrade due to diamond Medallion status and ST elite plus status on air Europa. The flight was not oversold in economy and I was told air Europa gives complementary upgrades on domestic flights to its own elites as well as to those of sky team. I have never experienced that before and fly them often within Spain but I happily took the upgrade.
Reminds me of that time I used matched Air Berlin silver status to get an upgrade on AA. ORF-DCA, but it still counts haha.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Nexus, VIA Rail Premier
Air Europa (UX) Medallion Benefits

Not sure if this is the right forum, as I don't see a dedicated one fore them, but I just booked an Economy Standard trip from MAD to AMS on Air Europa for next week. I just put in my Skymiles # but I'm still being charged for the bag and seat selection option. I know they were planning to leave Skyteam at some point. Does anyone have experience flying with them, and getting their benefits setup? Do I have to call in?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you start by checking whether Air Europa is *currently* a SkyTeam member or not? You might also want to check delta.dumb to see whether they might be a bilateral partner of DL even if not an alliance member.

Is your flight booked under an Air Europe flight number (not codeshare)?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you start by checking whether Air Europa is *currently* a SkyTeam member or not? You might also want to check delta.dumb to see whether they might be a bilateral partner of DL even if not an alliance member.

Is your flight booked under an Air Europe flight number (not codeshare)?
It looks as if they're still in based on their respective sites, but they do seem like the odd one out of the partners. I've always had weird issues with partner flights outside of the core AF/KL. For example, my WS flights never seem to post properly..

This is based on something I booked on their site directly.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 4:24 am

Update. Flew Air Europa LGW-MAD. Initially had issues putting in my Skymiles # and it said there was an issue, but it all worked out. Was able to check in, use extra bags, and Sky Priority was printed on boarding pass. Unfortunately, they still wanted me to pay for seat selection above row 18 (discounted), as opposed to free with KL/AF at OLCI.

Flight experience was ok at best (ontime), but the onboard product seemed stingy. You had to pay for everything onboard beyond tapwater (juice was extra). Plane itself was a little tired looking with no onboard power, and the armrest in front of me broken. Waiting to see if my mileage posts....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.