Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus, with some probability, the owner of the FC seat will capitulate to avoid causing a fuss or delay, while some FAs/GAs unfortunately try to instruct or bully the seat owner to back down because this is easier for those FAs/GAs. In either case, it's a big win for the poacher.
True, the FAs take the easier route for themselves. When an FA suggested I be the one to move, I said “why me, when it is my seat?” And she said “because you are the more reasonable party.”.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tizzette

True, the FAs take the easier route for themselves. When an FA suggested I be the one to move, I said “why me, when it is my seat?” And she said “because you are the more reasonable party.”.
This is extremely inappropriate pressure on a customer to accept less than what was purchased or earned just to make some employee's job slightly easier for a few minutes. I hope you reported this to DL so that the FA could be retrained.
SK, enviroian, ESPECIALROB and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
This is extremely inappropriate pressure on a customer to accept less than what was purchased or earned just to make some employee's job slightly easier for a few minutes. I hope you reported this to DL so that the FA could be retrained.
Agreed, but I will add that I hope you reported it AFTER TAKING YOUR ASSIGNED SEAT
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Wouldn't you know it, I rarely get asked to switch but after reading this thread I was asked THREE times on one RT on which I'm still traveling. I only agreed once so a dad could sit with mom and infant.

One more leg left; maybe I'll get asked again.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Tizzette
"For a $1,000 gift card, I'll be extremely reasonable. Otherwise, I want my seat."
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sethb
"For a $1,000 gift card, I'll be extremely reasonable. Otherwise, I want my seat."
I would do it for even less (depending on the seat)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
No doubt. Hell, I’ll ride in the lav for $500.
AeRoSpaceman and MarkP24 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:56 pm

I didn’t give in.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zulu1128
No doubt. Hell, I’ll ride in the lav for $500.
Depends on the length of the flight!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:10 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
I got a round trip non stop flight for my son with my miles from SAN to ATL for today and tomorrow. He's Asking The Parents for his girlfriend's hand in marriage!! So, being the travelfreek that I am, of course, I booked him w/ an aisle seat on both flights - his choice. He texted me at landing and said you booked me in a middle seat, right? I said no way. So in checking, I see that I did, in fact, put him in an aisle seat, but when email came 24 hours before check in, they had switched him to the middle seat (b) instead of C. I didn't notice until he texted me.

So I called Delta to get some type of something to make up for this bs. The CS agent says there's nothing she can do. I pressed very politely and asked for her supervisor. She then came back on and said she can drop 2,500 miles into my son's Delta account. I had asked for an upgrade to first (there's 2 seats left for tomorrow's flight). She said she has no way of doing this. I asked for a free meal or drinks and she said she has no way of doing that. He's checked in for the aisle seat for tomorrow and let's hope it holds. I told the CS agent that it makes me not trust Delta going forward. The seat I booked with my miles was not BASIC economy but he ended up flying that way.

Oh well, I'll stop whining and just be thankful for a "free flight" for him for this EXCITING life event!
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by T Q; Nov 17, 2018 at 2:12 pm Reason: grammar
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I babysit my seat assignments all the time for this very reason. Usually it’s due to change of equipment but Only one time I’ve been unable to get the same or equal seat back.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by T Q
I got a round trip non stop flight for my son with my miles from SAN to ATL for today and tomorrow. He's Asking The Parents for his girlfriend's hand in marriage!! So, being the travelfreek that I am, of course, I booked him w/ an aisle seat on both flights - his choice. He texted me at landing and said you booked me in a middle seat, right? I said no way. So in checking, I see that I did, in fact, put him in an aisle seat, but when email came 24 hours before check in, they had switched him to the middle seat (b) instead of C. I didn't notice until he texted me.

So I called Delta to get some type of something to make up for this bs. The CS agent says there's nothing she can do. I pressed very politely and asked for her supervisor. She then came back on and said she can drop 2,500 miles into my son's Delta account. I had asked for an upgrade to first (there's 2 seats left for tomorrow's flight). She said she has no way of doing this. I asked for a free meal or drinks and she said she has no way of doing that. He's checked in for the aisle seat for tomorrow and let's hope it holds. I told the CS agent that it makes me not trust Delta going forward. The seat I booked with my miles was not BASIC economy but he ended up flying that way.

Oh well, I'll stop whining and just be thankful for a "free flight" for him for this EXCITING life event!
That is terribly frustrating!!! I'm really sorry! 2,500 points just doesn't do it justice.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat
Atl-las a321

Same thing happened to me and I’m incrdibly frustrated by it. Thinking about starting a new thread on this but maybe someone here can shed some light.

Wife and I are headed to Vegas tomorrow for our anniversary and I, of course, want to make the flight part of the vacation. For MONTHS I had seats 26b and 26c selected as they are two exit row seats with the lav in front of them so I find them to be private and good for couples.

This morning I checked in for the flight and printed my boarding passes that indicated those seats.... later in the day when I’m checking the upgrade list I see I’ve been MOVED. And, to make it worse, the two seats are now occupied.

I called delta and they apploligized but refused to move us back into those seats. We were offered a $50 delta voucher but HOW can this happen?

Its two seats... so it can’t be an Air Marshal... it can’t be for a family with kids because it’s an exit row... I just can’t come up with a scenario of how this can happen. I nearly want to ask the people in the seat tomorrow what their story was. Any ideas?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
It boggles my mind why Delta refuses to have their systems send an email when they change your seat assignments.
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by mtsublueraider
Same thing happened to me and I’m incrdibly frustrated by it. Thinking about starting a new thread on this but maybe someone here can shed some light.

Wife and I are headed to Vegas tomorrow for our anniversary and I, of course, want to make the flight part of the vacation. For MONTHS I had seats 26b and 26c selected as they are two exit row seats with the lav in front of them so I find them to be private and good for couples.

This morning I checked in for the flight and printed my boarding passes that indicated those seats.... later in the day when I’m checking the upgrade list I see I’ve been MOVED. And, to make it worse, the two seats are now occupied.

I called delta and they apploligized but refused to move us back into those seats. We were offered a $50 delta voucher but HOW can this happen?

Its two seats... so it can’t be an Air Marshal... it can’t be for a family with kids because it’s an exit row... I just can’t come up with a scenario of how this can happen. I nearly want to ask the people in the seat tomorrow what their story was. Any ideas?
Very frustrating. I would ask them to move you to C+ if available. You can also try messaging them on Twitter. They're usually pretty responsive.

Originally Posted by ShivasIrons
It boggles my mind why Delta refuses to have their systems send an email when they change your seat assignments.
That would be helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.