Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised the GA didn't threaten to throw the seat poacher off then flight when he refused to move. This could have caused a delay. I hope no one expected the owner of the FC seat to give in and just take a coach seat.
Indeed... the lack of any real consequences (since giving up the seat you never had a legitimate claim to isn’t a consequence, IMHO) will just embolden this guy to try it again. People have been booted from flights for way less than this.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by strickerj

Indeed... the lack of any real consequences (since giving up the seat you never had a legitimate claim to isn’t a consequence, IMHO) will just embolden this guy to try it again. People have been booted from flights for way less than this.
Plus, with some probability, the owner of the FC seat will capitulate to avoid causing a fuss or delay, while some FAs/GAs unfortunately try to instruct or bully the seat owner to back down because this is easier for those FAs/GAs. In either case, it's a big win for the poacher.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by strickerj
I'm surprised the GA didn't threaten to throw the seat poacher off then flight when he refused to move. This could have caused a delay. I hope no one expected the owner of the FC seat to give in and just take a coach seat.

I'm surprised the FA even went and got the GA. It should have gone: "I need to see your boarding pass" "No" "You're being ejected from the flight if you don't comply." There must be some sort of safety reg they could point to on that (BP is proof you belong on board or something).

Cities will boot a car that violates a parking rule, which adds costs and delays to the violator. It's probably a more valuable lesson than a $40 ticket, so to make a parallel, why not eject aggressive seat poachers like the one in the example?
Spiff, IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When someone tries to deliberately poach my seat, I don't mind at all if the poacher is embarrassed. I've been know to remark loudly how difficult it must be to mistake 7A for 12C on the 777 or 3B for 27E on some domestic narrow body aircraft.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by vincentharris
[left]so today 3C is sitting in 3D and 3D shows up and says well this guy is in my seat (as a diamond he should have known better) 3C refused to show his boarding pass to the FAs and then makes the GA come on who asks for his ID. He still refuses through the first 2 or 3 requests and finally shows it.

They are 16B.....
I really don't understand this, the person sitting in 3D has a boarding pass for 16B? Why are you calling him 3C then?

Was 3C unoccupied?
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I really don't understand this, the person sitting in 3D has a boarding pass for 16B? Why are you calling him 3C then?

Was 3C unoccupied?
I did a double take too... sometimes these posts are as good as riddles you know... keeps the brain young and all.
I believe 3C was a diamond who boarded to find someone else in his seat and just took 3D instead of booting the poacher.
3D then showed up and the whole saga unfolded.
FlyingNone and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by pvn

Was 3C unoccupied?
They're saying the 16B seat poacher was in 3C, resulting in the 3C passenger sitting in 3D. When the 3D passenger showed-up, the 3C passenger in 3D told the 16B passenger was in 3C spot.

Original Seat Assignment
Bob = 16B
Joe = 3C
Jane = 3D

Bob took 3C, Joe took 3D, Jane shows up, Joe says he's in 3D because Bob is in 3C.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
She huffs and puffs and begins telling me how important she is, she is a surgeon, etc. I ignore her and unleash a snore fest on her for the next hour as punishment
I was having a bad day until reading this part. Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
When someone tries to deliberately poach my seat, I don't mind at all if the poacher is embarrassed. I've been know to remark loudly how difficult it must be to mistake 7A for 12C on the 777 or 3B for 27E on some domestic narrow body aircraft.
That's hysterical!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:12 am

I will remember this the next time I find someone in my seat. Priceless
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DLDC
They're saying the 16B seat poacher was in 3C, resulting in the 3C passenger sitting in 3D. When the 3D passenger showed-up, the 3C passenger in 3D told the 16B passenger was in 3C spot.

Original Seat Assignment
Bob = 16B
Joe = 3C
Jane = 3D

Bob took 3C, Joe took 3D, Jane shows up, Joe says he's in 3D because Bob is in 3C.
This gave me horrible flashbacks to the LSAT.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
On a flight today where someone was sitting 3A when the rightful owner arrived. Everyone in F cabin suspected an honest misunderstanding as we saw the woman pre-board in a wheelchair and she seemed honestly confused.

Boarding pass showed row 27! She apologized profusely mentioning the attendant placed her there. Not sure if the attendant looked at the wrong boarding pass or what. Obviously the owner of 3A wasn’t going to give up First class seat near companion for swap to row 27.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
On a flight today where someone was sitting 3A when the rightful owner arrived. Everyone in F cabin suspected an honest misunderstanding as we saw the woman pre-board in a wheelchair and she seemed honestly confused.

Boarding pass showed row 27! She apologized profusely mentioning the attendant placed her there. Not sure if the attendant looked at the wrong boarding pass or what. Obviously the owner of 3A wasn’t going to give up First class seat near companion for swap to row 27.
Was she able to move to her correct seat without the wheelchair? In fact, was this a miracle flight where she walked off the aircraft quickly with no need of a wheelchair at the destination? Maybe I'm overly suspicious, but I'm really wondering if she arranged for the wheelchair and told the pusher the wrong seat number as a preplanned seat poaching scam. I suspect that many people would have permitted her to stay in the FC seat rather than insisting that she move or be moved to the correct coach seat.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Was she able to move to her correct seat without the wheelchair? In fact, was this a miracle flight where she walked off the aircraft quickly with no need of a wheelchair at the destination? Maybe I'm overly suspicious, but I'm really wondering if she arranged for the wheelchair and told the pusher the wrong seat number as a preplanned seat poaching scam. I suspect that many people would have permitted her to stay in the FC seat rather than insisting that she move or be moved to the correct coach seat.
Or as a possibility she could have been on a 50 seat CRJ previously or on her connecting flight after this with a boarding pass for 3A that was in the main cabin (since there’s no F on those birds) on that flight and the wheelchair person accidentally used the seat number off a wrong boarding pass.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Yes she was able to walk although slowly and using seat backs for support. Yes, waiting for wheelchair on arrival. Clearly someone who couldn’t walk distances but was mobile. F seat owner did assist her with moving personal item and FA held up boarding so she could get settled and F pax return to 3A without swimming upstream.

I don’t think it was a scam. Just a rushed wheelchair attendant not looking closely at BP (or as someone else mentioned perhaps pax confused seat assignment from a prior flight).
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.