Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
Nobody is saying it's your problem.
Then why should I have to solve it for someone by giving up my seat?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No you dont. The DL CoC/policies specifically like all airlines state you're never guarenteed a seat. Airline can move you for any reason, even if you paid a seat assignment fee. All they're on hook for is refunding said, if any, seat assignment fee.
I didn't say otherwise.

And Ma Kettle is unlikely to be able to offer me a refund on the seat assignment fee. Unless she gives me 100 dollars out of her wallet...actually, 200 for the trouble. In that case, I may make out better than with the airline. She should also gift me points..but if she knew about points in the first place she wouldn't be panhandling my seat from me.

Fact is though, if an airline rep asks me to move, I am more obligated to do it and they will play by the rules whereas Ma Kettle simply covets and either begs or demands. So I still say, if you really want to force someone out of their paid for seat, get an airline rep to do it. Don't approach another pax yourself.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by kop84
If everyone lightened up a bit it wouldn't be that big a deal. It shouldn't be a big deal to ask someone if they are interested in a trade, just like it shouldn't be a big deal to say no.

What would work best is if we could all agree to some basic guidelines.
  1. When asking for a trade, the asker should ALWAYS offer the better seat if possible
  2. If an equal or better seat is not able to be offered then there should be some extenuating circumstance as to why the trade is being asked...IE parent and a small child (I'd say under 8) Spouse / SO doesn't cut it. You're both adults, you can be apart for a few hours. There are other allowable circumstances I'm sure but without going into 11,000 different scenario I'd use this as a basic guide.
  3. Traveling with children doesn't make give you the right to make demands for seats but should also not open you to open disdain
  4. If a request is rejected, the asker must move on quietly with no attempt to guilt the other party.
  5. Poaching the seat DQ's even extenuating circumstances
  6. The "owner" of the seat is free to reject any request but should NOT treat the seat as their own personal fiefdom and refuse offhand any request with hearing the offer.
  7. The "owner" of the seat should accept a reasonable offer, especially if the seat is equal or better, and be accommodating to fellow travelers.
  8. If traveling with a companion and you select Aisle/Window, respect the person in the middle by limiting conversation.
  9. We are adults, do not involve the FA's unless absolutely necessary, they are busy with other things, AND not getting paid until the door is shut.
  10. I shouldn't have to say this but pleases and thank you's are important.
What am I missing or what isn't fair about this?

11. If you request a trade realize that you may cause push back to be delayed. First, if the trade is favorable then someone might be moving upstream to get to their new seat disrupting the boarding process. Second, if there is a need to reconcile the manifest you delay the GA from closing the flight.

Happened just yesterday as GA tried to understand why empty seats didn’t match manifest causing disruption to assigning battlefield upgrades. Thanks to the couple who couldn’t bear to be separated for a one hour flight and those who supported the human Tetris moves to accommodate. Lovely.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Then why should I have to solve it for someone by giving up my seat?
literally not one person has said that you should have to solve it for them or give up your seat. Not a single one.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:43 pm

People should STOP requesting seat swaps... PERIOD!

Originally Posted by Taz
I generally don't mind being asked to swap seats, but unless I'm being offered another aisle seat in F that is neither the bulkhead or the last row, 99% of the time I will decline. I do have a problem with other pax telling me that I need to swap in order to accommodate them and then giving me attitude when I say no. The last time that happened, one of the couple wanting to stay together called me an assortment of unpleasant names for saying no. It was such a lovely experience. NOT.
I usually fly in coach, but I too have had people give me attitude (sometimes not from the person whose request I declined, but rather from some bystander). Unlike you, I probably agree to a swap more often that I decline. The only thing I ever gain from a seat swap, though, is that I'm avoiding confrontation or bad taste in my mouth.

Originally Posted by Lrtalk
I was in 4B recently. Nice lady in 4A asked if I would be open to swapping with her husband who was in 5A. I said it would be fine except I need to keep an aisle seat since I tend to get up a good bit and don't want to climb over the person in the aisle. She said she totally gets that. So husband in 5A is talking to husband in 5B. His wife is in 5C, and they all want to sit by spouses. So they ask me if I will go to 5C and let the couples occupy 4AB and 5AB. I said sure, even though in my mind I'm thinking...well shoot....now I'm at risk for having to eat the pasta instead of beef for dinner. So I said to myself....self.......do not allow yourself to create a first world personal problem and get your rear end up and go to 5C. So I said absolutely - perfect. Was resigned to eating pasta for dinner. Turns out there was STILL beef left for dinner when the FA got to me. So I guess being nice with seat swaps pays sometimes......
Originally Posted by enviroian
good lord people do you have to sit next to your SO all the time? This flight wasn't the last supper, you'll all manage.

I would have politely said "no" about 5 seconds into 4As spiel.
The problem with saying no to the above example is that, had Lrtalk given the second reason to say no the second time, he/she would've come across as being difficult, FA might've taken notice and perhaps affecting the subsequent on-board service, and it might've led to an uncomfortable vibe (or at least the perception of) for the entire flight.

Originally Posted by MarkP24
And that's certainly your right. You're allowed to say no, but I don;t see any harm in asking.
If you're the one asking, sure you've got nothing to lose. If you're the one being asked, you've got nothing to gain and potentially something to lose (even if it's something that may seem trivial to the person asking).
I've had aisle for aisle swap result in going from sitting next to a scrawy kid to a broad-shouldered person doing the manspread thing with legs the whole flight.
I'm a bit of a germaphobe and do the wipedown of my traytable etc while sometimes weathering odd stares from others... have to do it all over again if a seat swap occurs.
In the above Lrtalk example, you're talking about possibility of pasta rather than steak.
You're slowing the boarding process. I've gotta move my stuff in the overhead bin.
I don't like to say no, because I guess I'm sensitive and don't feel comfortable dealing with after-effects of saying no. If I feel there's an obviously justifiable reason to decline (like aisle for non-aisle or go 20 rows back), then I don't feel bad about declining. Otherwise, I will agree to it reluctantly. And then sometimes it works out completely fine. Other times there turns out to be a little something that make me wish I was back in my original seat.

When folks ask to swap seats, I just wish they recognize all these factors. But the reality is, most don't. And that sort of ticks me off and makes me wish the airlines would start banning seat swaps altogether. I know that's not going to happen, but I just think seat swaps lead to so many problems because different human beings have different dispositions, different take on things. The simplest solution to avoid problems is to make people sit where they're assigned.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Tell them you're just getting over the flu and you wouldn't want your worst enemy to sit anywhere near you, or where you've sat or touched, but you'd be happy to switch if they want to risk it.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Tell them you're just getting over the flu and you wouldn't want your worst enemy to sit anywhere near you, or where you've sat or touched, but you'd be happy to switch if they want to risk it.
Perhaps a better solution would be to buy a few surgical-type masks from a medical supply store, and wear one on your plane. I'm certain there would be very few people that would ask you to change seats after seeing you wearing the surgical mask!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
FA hears that and next thing you're being taken off the plane and told to get medical clearance before traveling.
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
I pretty much hate this story, but I'll tell it anyway because why not? Is there anything more to say about seat swapping that hasn't already been said?

Years ago, circa 1991, when Northwest Airlines was a thing, as I'd done many times before, I made summer vacation reservations for seats months in advance for my family. That year my family included an 18-month-old for whom I'd purchased a seat, plus a 6-year-old and an 8-year-old and my spouse. Fast forward. NW decides we don't need those seats after all and splatters the 5 of us all over coach, nobody is sitting next to anybody. I phone NW and am told it is what it is and to confer with the gate agent about this, which I do. The GA, clearly feeling she has better things to do than deal with my petty problems, shrugs and tells me to take it up with the FA on board and dismisses me.

We have no status with the airline and the plane is filling up quickly by the time we board. The 2 FA's greeting us onboard are unmoved and not inclined to get involved. This problem is not theirs. The FA spokesperson says I should go back to where our seats are and ask around to see if some other passengers might be willing to swap seats.

She wants me to make a problem her airline created some other passenger's problem. I am holding a large, 18-month-old toddler in my arms, and this normally well-behaved child is now squirming because she has been a babe in arms for far too long. I say to the FA that I am not going to do that, and that my kids will sit in the seats that NW arbitrarily assigned to them and whatever unfortunate soul ends up stuck next to them is going to be that passenger's problem and woe to whoever gets stuck next to the 18-month-old. Panic ensued, and like magic, my daughter and I were seated together. The boys were still on their own, but by that time, they understood how to behave on a plane and there was no trouble. I think my spouse maybe sort of was okay with that arrangement (LOL), but we never, ever, flew NW again. The next year we bought a Ford Club Wagon and drove that trip for the next 10 years. So I thank NW for being the catalyst for forcing extended quality time on my young family. We have many fond (and some not so fond but still valuable) memories of those long road trips to the Midwest from California.
wrp96, apodo77 and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by enviroian
good lord people do you have to sit next to your SO all the time? This flight wasn't the last supper, you'll all manage.

I would have politely said "no" about 5 seconds into 4As spiel.
I'm not married, so maybe I just don't get it. But it seems bizarre to me, too. You see each other every day--don't you want a vacation for a few hours?

I was on a WN flight from LAS once. A young woman was in the middle seat next to me. A young man asked me to move so he could be next to her. I said, "Sure, if it's another aisle seat." Nope. Middle. I told him if he could find an aisle, I'd move. He just looked longingly at her during the first part of the flight, then came up and said he'd found an aisle. "Sure," I said. Turns out it was an aisle next to a POS. And I mean SIZE. Probably 6-4 and 300 lbs. But I have to say--he was a super-polite seat-neighbor. He kept himself as contracted as possible, with his arms on his stomach. I don't know how he did it for so long--I'd have gotten cramps. I was really appreciative of his self-awareness, and thought of how uncomfortable it must be for him squashed into that middle seat.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I'm not married, so maybe I just don't get it. But it seems bizarre to me, too. You see each other every day--don't you want a vacation for a few hours?
Why is it bizarre that people want to sit next to people they know? Do you go to a movie theater with people you know and then sit apart? I’m not saying I don’t understand what you’re asking as my wife and I now frequently book an aisle and window or aisle-aisle or in Y on a 3-3 config. If in a 1-2-1 config in F/J, I’ll book us both a window seat on the single seat side and not a pair in the middle. For our trip over Christmas we’re on a CR9, and I have myself in 1A and her in 2A so we both get windows. So she and I are fine being apart for a few hours and I really prefer an aisle because I get up to go to the bathroom a lot but also love the window so my wife gets it when I’m an aircraft type where I can get both in the same seat. But why is it shocking to some on here that people traveling together will make requests to sit next to each other? Why is it shocking to some on here that there are people who value sitting together more than a specific seat?

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Oct 21, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:16 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
"I don't want X so it's insane that anyone else would want X"

give me a break
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hotturnip

I was on a WN flight from LAS once. A young woman was in the middle seat next to me. A young man asked me to move so he could be next to her. I said, "Sure, if it's another aisle seat." Nope. Middle. I told him if he could find an aisle, I'd move. He just looked longingly at her during the first part of the flight, then came up and said he'd found an aisle. "Sure," I said. Turns out it was an aisle next to a POS. And I mean SIZE. Probably 6-4 and 300 lbs. But I have to say--he was a super-polite seat-neighbor. He kept himself as contracted as possible, with his arms on his stomach. I don't know how he did it for so long--I'd have gotten cramps. I was really appreciative of his self-awareness, and thought of how uncomfortable it must be for him squashed into that middle seat.
Not everyone gets to see their loved one everyday. Sometimes the plane is the only place I get to meet up with loved ones/friends due to work travel schedule. Labor Day weekend I got to see my mother for three whole days for first time in two months. We booked on same flight out of town we meet up in, in order to have a few more hours together. I've done a SDC to get on flight husband was flying, not having seen him in a month. Etc, etc...
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by flyerCO
FA hears that and next thing you're being taken off the plane and told to get medical clearance before traveling.
I’ve actually boarded a flight, in F, where I was hacking and coughing and looked like death warmed over... wearing a surgical mask.

The FAs never said a thing and were very sympathetic.

A couple of months ago, my wife and I boarded in Y, where she began to vomit into the bag in my lap as I skillfully held the bag in my lap in one hand while holding her hair in the other. The FA simply brought a garbage bag back and I deposited the warm, weighty barf-bag into her garbage bag. She too was sympathetic.

In short, you’ll need to look like Patient Zero in World War Z before an FA requests you leave a flight.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I’ve actually boarded a flight, in F, where I was hacking and coughing and looked like death warmed over... wearing a surgical mask.

The FAs never said a thing and were very sympathetic.

A couple of months ago, my wife and I boarded in Y, where she began to vomit into the bag in my lap as I skillfully held the bag in my lap in one hand while holding her hair in the other. The FA simply brought a garbage bag back and I deposited the warm, weighty barf-bag into her garbage bag. She too was sympathetic.

In short, you’ll need to look like Patient Zero in World War Z before an FA requests you leave a flight.
Neither of you made a comment about being "so sick wouldn't want worst enemy to come in contact with anything I've touched."

There's a liability difference between them hearing you say, and thus knowing, and you coughing and them not knowing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.