Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
I was in 4B recently. Nice lady in 4A asked if I would be open to swapping with her husband who was in 5A. I said it would be fine except I need to keep an aisle seat since I tend to get up a good bit and don't want to climb over the person in the aisle. She said she totally gets that. So husband in 5A is talking to husband in 5B. His wife is in 5C, and they all want to sit by spouses. So they ask me if I will go to 5C and let the couples occupy 4AB and 5AB. I said sure, even though in my mind I'm thinking...well shoot....now I'm at risk for having to eat the pasta instead of beef for dinner. So I said to myself....self.......do not allow yourself to create a first world personal problem and get your rear end up and go to 5C. So I said absolutely - perfect. Was resigned to eating pasta for dinner. Turns out there was STILL beef left for dinner when the FA got to me. So I guess being nice with seat swaps pays sometimes......
good lord people do you have to sit next to your SO all the time? This flight wasn't the last supper, you'll all manage.

I would have politely said "no" about 5 seconds into 4As spiel.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
good lord people do you have to sit next to your SO all the time? This flight wasn't the last supper, you'll all manage.

You never know. When I was dating Mrs. ATOBTTR, we lived in different parts of the country during part of that time. Sometimes we’d travel and meet somewhere, often meeting at a hub before continuing onward and doing the reverse on the way home (splitting up at the hub and going our separate ways) - it might be a few months before we’d see each other again.

Is that the case all or even most of the time? Probably not, but again the point being you never know and it’s only an assumption of the circumstance on your part.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:51 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
I honestly don't really get the whole wanting to sit next to each other thing in the first place.
They probably don't get the whole being unwilling to swap to the last row of F thing, either.

My wife and I fly together a lot and almost always in F. She watches a movie and couldn't care less if I'm in the seat next to her or not. The people who wanted me to swap all watched movies, and you never would have known they even knew each other during the flight.
That's great that the two of you don't mind sitting apart. Some people have other preferences.

Also keep in mind a lot of people, even people who travel frequently, have a lot of anxiety around flying, and sitting next to someone they know can go a long way towards mitigating that, even if they don't speak during the flight.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn

Also keep in mind a lot of people, even people who travel frequently, have a lot of anxiety around flying, and sitting next to someone they know can go a long way towards mitigating that, even if they don't speak during the flight.

That goes directly into the "not my problem" file.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon

The airline/crew could probably give two shizzes. Then what?
Then take the seats you were given or deplane yourself.

They will give 2 shizzles if someone is handicapped or infirm. They may not if it's simply a game of reunite-the-couple..but then again, rightly so.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Fine. Will you be upset when the airline unilaterally moves you? After all it's not an issue to involve you in.
I might. I might even fight it, or at least get the compensation owed me for the price I paid ontop of the ticket to select my premium seat. I actually have a business interaction with the airline, a contract of carriage. That means either party..me or the airline..can change things. If I am getting kicked out of my seat I retain a possible path of recourse.

That's something Ma-kettle who demands I give up my seat can't offer.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I might. I might even fight it, or at least get the compensation owed me for the price I paid ontop of the ticket to select my premium seat. I actually have a business interaction with the airline, a contract of carriage. That means either party..me or the airline..can change things. If I am getting kicked out of my seat I retain a possible path of recourse.

No you dont. The DL CoC/policies specifically like all airlines state you're never guarenteed a seat. Airline can move you for any reason, even if you paid a seat assignment fee. All they're on hook for is refunding said, if any, seat assignment fee.
ijgordon, SamOF, muji and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
It would be more appropriate, because your seating issues are between you and the airline, and the problem is yours and the airlines to solve, not to have a stranger fix for you. Sure, they may be willing, but there is no obligation there.
Not necessarily an obligation if the airline is not involved, but I think it's fair to ask
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian

And that's certainly your right. You're allowed to say no, but I don;t see any harm in asking.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by reimero
So I was recently on a flight, assigned to a Comfort+ seat (can't remember which, but it was either on a 737 or A320) and when I got there 2 boys were sitting side by side, one in my assigned seat. So I start to ask if that's where they're supposed to be sitting (not making a scene or anything, I just figure there's some mistake) and the mom comes up and asks if I'd be willing to swap with her one son so the two boys can sit together. Not at all unreasonable. Except it turns out the son who was in my seat had a seat assignment in first class.

The guy right behind me shook his head and said, "how come that never happens to me?"

TL;DR version: sometimes switching seats works out quite nicely indeed!
This happened to me back in the day on Northwest.... Flying across the Atlantic and on two different flights a couple of husbands came back and asked me to switch from exit row economy to World Business Class...... sure.... why not!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Had a fun moment this week when I get on an A320 to find someone in my 7D,

I'm friendly - smile and say, "I'm in 7D".
Barely looks up from his book - indicates the empty middle seat and says "That's 7D"
A little less friendly, I just say. "No" .
I stand there for another second before he looks up, peers around a little and get up and gathers all his stuff.
As I sit down he realizes that he's supposed to be across the aisle in 7C.

It was an honest mistake, I think.
If he had engaged a little I would have been happy to sit across the aisle and not make him move his stuff, but he didn't.

So No worked just fine.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:17 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
That goes directly into the "not my problem" file.
Nobody is saying it's your problem.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by pvn
They probably don't get the whole being unwilling to swap to the last row of F thing, either.

That's great that the two of you don't mind sitting apart. Some people have other preferences.

Wife was upgraded at the window to the seat next to me. Husband got the last battlefield upgrade at the gate. This was totally a convenience thing. She said "he never gets upgraded, and I get it a lot, so we would like to sit by each other".
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

You can ask the couple trying to reunite themselves to give you a cash payment for switching seats.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can ask the couple trying to reunite themselves to give you a cash payment for switching seats.
The pax version of FCM maybe? Wondering what the market would look like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.