Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Considering the many other threads on this topic that exist on FT I'd guess you're not the only one
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
My response is " I selected this seat because I don't sit in window seats or at bulkheads." I can only think of 2 occasions where I was offered like for like. I accepted both of those, especially the Y to F offer.

When my wife and I travel together, we're almost always in F. Most of the time we sit together but when we're upgraded from Y because the F buy up was too expensive we're always apart. Invariably, someone offers to change so that we can sit together. We always thank them but decline, explaining that we spend enough time together and enjoy meeting new people.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I can only think of 2 occasions where I was offered like for like. I accepted both of those, especially the Y to F offer.
....um?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Absolutely no need to give an explanation for saying no and it's incredibly rude of the requester to seek one. I know a guy who prefers an aisle seat because he has bladder problem and wants easy access to the toilet. That's nobody's business but his. I will trade if it's like for like or better but most of the time it's down to people being disorganized and checking late after most preferred seats have been selected.
KevinDTW and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I just say no. If they are nice about it, I'll just say, "Sorry, I'm not comfortable switching seats at this point."
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are already a number of the same threads on FT. Why start a new one? Also, what does this have to do with DL unless DL is part of the conspiracy to annoy OP?

There is nothing wrong with someone politely asking one to switch seats. If you are willing to do so, just say "yes" and move. If you are not willing to do so, an equally polite "no" or it's equivalent is all that is necessary. No need to make up silly juvenile reasons. No explanation is required. The most I would say is, "thank you for asking, but I am fine where I am."

If the asker persists or is rude, either ignore them or repeat the exact words used before. There is no reason to engage and no need to feel intimidated.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:40 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[left]And some people get huffy or worse when they're told no in response to a request.
Sure, that's their problem. People get huffy about all sorts of stuff on airplanes.

Too many couples are getting free elite upgrades
What is the "correct" number?
SamOF likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I always say "No, thanks" to unsolicited requests for me to give something that I don't chose to give. The "thanks" really throws most people into silence.
KevinDTW and Proudelitist like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by angra
I always say "No, thanks" to unsolicited requests for me to give something that I don't chose to give. The "thanks" really throws most people into silence.
Yes, being snarky any time anyone asks you something might throw people into silence. Any reason to do that?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
Yeah I get annoyed too because I've never been asked "like for like".

When it's the person between my wife and I (we book aisle and window because it's what we want, not trying to game the system for an empty middle), usually I figure they're trying to help us out as much as get out of a middle; but only twice has someone been visibly upset when we both decline to be uncomfortable for a few hours.
I've never minded when a couple wants to sit aisle/window leaving a random person in the middle, but then you need to respect the middle seat and not be trying to chat the whole flight or pass things back and forth a bunch. (Not you specifically, but anyone who does this) It's already bad enough sitting in the middle, no need to compound the misery by talking over someone for possibly multiple hours.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
Yes, being snarky any time anyone asks you something might throw people into silence. Any reason to do that?
interesting that you presume it's snarky. perhaps that is a reflection on the society in which we live.

so, I guess the answer to your question would be "no" there is no need to be snarky any time anyone asks me something.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by angra
interesting that you presume it's snarky. perhaps that is a reflection on the society in which we live.

so, I guess the answer to your question would be "no" there is no need to be snarky any time anyone asks me something.
I must be missing something--what other reason is there to say "no, thank you" when someone is asking you for something?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:19 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kop84
I've never minded when a couple wants to sit aisle/window leaving a random person in the middle, but then you need to respect the middle seat and not be trying to chat the whole flight or pass things back and forth a bunch. (Not you specifically, but anyone who does this) It's already bad enough sitting in the middle, no need to compound the misery by talking over someone for possibly multiple hours.
Reading the NYTimes say (fully opened) when sitting between them can cut the chat(ter).
kop84 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:30 am

probably wandering way off topic, but I didn't say that I said that anytime someone asks me something, only when someone asks me for something that I don't wish to give. Said with a genuine smile, I have found it to be the most effective way of communicating "no" without also attaching some implied judgment (either to the requester or myself) for either the request or the denial, and reframing what is otherwise a conflict and potentially adversarial interaction (hey stranger, give me this / hey stranger, you should give me this) into a more cooperative/friendly one (hey stranger, would you like to give me this?).

The vast majority of my interactions that follow this pattern have resulted in friendlier and defused interactions. It is really only the people with out of control anger and entitlement that seem to take it as some sort of affront. The only times I have had negative interactions after saying "no, thank you" have been when at least one party to the conversation has already lost control of their emotions.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
But I'd much rather have someone ask me than just show up and have them all settled into my seat because they wanted to be with their spouse, friend, coworker, emotional support rabbit, whatever, and then point me to their middle seat 75 rows back.
Yep !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.