Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Yesterday (4/25) I was sitting in 10A, one of the bulkhead seats on the A333 for an ATL-AMS flight. Across the plane, during boarding, a man was seated in 10J, with 10H unoccupied. Towards the end of boarding two women enter the plane and tell the man that 10 H&J are their seats. I couldn’t hear details of the conversation but the man did not argue or pull out his boarding pass. He just got up and moved about 5 rows farther back in the plane, to a non Comfort+ seat. My seat mate and I agreed that it looked like a case of blatant seat poaching by the man.
I run into this form of poaching more and more often. The ones who don't argue or apologize. They simply get up without a word and move back to regular Economy. Then I have to feel their butt heat in my seat. I suppose they are operating on the notion of "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Seems like a stretch to imagine that there are any flights not going out full these days, let alone empties in E+.

It's a bit like trying to walk out of a store without paying for something, but if questioned, going up to the register and paying. "I was going to shoplift, but you saw me..so here's my money".
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Stupid seat poacher: 10J is unlikely not to be assigned/occupied. Some other C+ seat would have had greater odds of success.
Exactly; those are coveted seats. I often choose international flights or even routings on the basis of 10A/J availability. It was one of the reasons I flew MSP-ATL-AMS instead of a non-stop yesterday.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Several years ago we were on 10A/B, the aisles of the center section were also occupied and according to the seat map, the two middle seats were supposed to be empty. Towards the end of the boarding, two gentlemen took the middle seats, and were speaking really loud and yelling at each other, to the point where it was becoming very annoying. The FA noticed the discomfort of the rest of the passengers and brought the manifest. She then asked them to either move to their seats or pay the cost of a C+ upgrade.
Spiff, tonypct, jamesteroh and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Yesterday (4/25) I was sitting in 10A, one of the bulkhead seats on the A333 for an ATL-AMS flight. Across the plane, during boarding, a man was seated in 10J, with 10H unoccupied. Towards the end of boarding two women enter the plane and tell the man that 10 H&J are their seats. I couldn’t hear details of the conversation but the man did not argue or pull out his boarding pass. He just got up and moved about 5 rows farther back in the plane, to a non Comfort+ seat. My seat mate and I agreed that it looked like a case of blatant seat poaching by the man.
I notice you didn't say he grabbed his bag out of the overhead bin. So he ended up poaching the C+ "reserved" space too. It would have been awesome if the ladies who he tired to poach from handed him his bag too.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I run into this form of poaching more and more often. The ones who don't argue or apologize. They simply get up without a word and move back to regular Economy. Then I have to feel their butt heat in my seat. I suppose they are operating on the notion of "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Seems like a stretch to imagine that there are any flights not going out full these days, let alone empties in E+.

It's a bit like trying to walk out of a store without paying for something, but if questioned, going up to the register and paying. "I was going to shoplift, but you saw me..so here's my money".
ROTFLMAO.
Oh, the horror!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:57 am

I have done this very thing, and within the last year. I am late to boarding so I am boarding with coach pax, and a few folks ahead of me I see a man put his bag in the OH Bin above my seat and then proceed to steerage.

I took my seat, waited until boarding was done, and then removed it and placed it on the floor of the aisle. An FA came by, asked who it belonged to, and I said it was someone in coach. She took it back. Didn't see the results..but the bag never came back forward so I assume the Bin Poacher got his comeuppance.

There are people right here on FT who engage in bin poaching ( not always in F, but always forward of their seat). They come up with all kinds of justifications.."my stuff is expensive and I like to keep an eye on it"..that kind of thing. To hell with the seat occupants in the Bin's row.
if you wait until after boarding is done, this seems petty and passive aggressive. Yeah they shouldn’t have done that. But after boarding is done there is clearly enough space for everyone. Why not just let it go
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody

if you wait until after boarding is done, this seems petty and passive aggressive. Yeah they shouldn’t have done that. But after boarding is done there is clearly enough space for everyone. Why not just let it go
Agree. Also close to end of boarding a FA may even direct someone to put their bag in the first available space. This was nothing other then a waste of crews time and needlessly risks causing a situation. Basically brake checking but for overhead space.

If the space was needed for C+ customer, I could at least understand, though still wouldn't agree with touching the bag. 1- risk liability if something is broken or missing, 2-the FA may have told them to place it there, and 3-the FA is there to help with situations likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Gig103
I notice you didn't say he grabbed his bag out of the overhead bin. So he ended up poaching the C+ "reserved" space too. It would have been awesome if the ladies who he tired to poach from handed him his bag too.
the OP didn't say that he ever put a bag into the overhead bin to begin with
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Just read enough of that guy's posts and you'll have your answer
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Gig103
I asked a poacher if she had bags, she said she will leave it over row 10.
I proceeded to open the bin and removed it and place it in the aisle as it was early during boarding and hers were the only ones there while pointing to the reserved for comfort plus decals.

The early days of C+ rollout they placed decals on the top of the seats marking the occupied seats with the manifest in hand.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Because that bin was over MY seat and MY bag was the one that was supposed to go in there. He wasn't even an F pax, yet wants F bin space. That's why.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:05 am
pvn
Suspended

Because that bin was over MY seat and MY bag was the one that was supposed to go in there. He wasn't even an F pax, yet wants F bin space. That's why.
why didn't you say something immediately?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Not up to you. AS I've pointed out, the FA will even tell passengers to put their bags in the first available space. If it bothered you so much, then tell the FA. However you're not promised to not have someone else's bag over your head. Also your comment made wasn't about needing the space for your bag, it was about not wanting his bag above you.
JBa likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If the space was needed for C+ customer, I could at least understand, though still wouldn't agree with touching the bag. 1- risk liability if something is broken or missing, 2-the FA may have told them to place it there, and 3-the FA is there to help with situations likes this.
As for 3 - not in my experience. I boarded, about three seat forward from my seat where there was room in the overhead bin until a PAX stuck their bag in there and proceeded to the back of the bus. I would not have cared but there was no other room in the immediate area and I did want to go further back and swim up stream then or at the end of the flight. I was standing right next to the FA at the door and asked them if they would take that PAX's bag further back where there was room so I could stow my bag. They flat out refused. Fortunately, another PAX moved their bag to under their seat to make room for my bag. I thanked them profusely. I also left a nasty note on the other PAX's bag. As such, if I am in a similar situation, I will pull the bag and move it to the back.
essexnyc, twincheeks and Cotumely like this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Apr 27, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
On KEF-JFK a couple weeks ago, I was sitting in 22D. A young couple boarded, with him in 22B and her in 22E. Of course he ask me to switch seats, even though both windows A/F were open on the seat map. I politely declined after hinting that an aisle for middle isn't exactly a fair swap. The flight was not full, so they both ended up moving to an empty row farther back, and I had a whole row to myself!
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.