More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph

There was one odd thing on a recent flight, though. I was seated in domestic first class. My other half was beside me. Our carryon bags were actually in the bins above our head! And a gentleman gets on and says he has to put his bag right where mine is, directly over my head. He didn't board with priority type boarding or first class. Someone asks him where he's seated, and he doesn't respond. He asks who owns the bag above me. I say it's mine. (Boarding is seriously backed up now because the man is holding up everything.)

He wants me to get up and move my bag. I said no, I wasn't moving my bag. There was plenty of bin space on the other side of first class as well as what I could see of coach.
I've never seen a coach pax insist on having his bag in an F bin but I swear it is at least every other flight that I see coach pax putting their bags in the F bins while boarding. Sometimes an FA will direct them to when it's towards the end of boarding but I would say it happens most often at the volition of the coach pax.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You take it out, put it on the floor, and let the FA gate check it when no-one in first claims it. Simples.
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I took my seat, waited until boarding was done, and then removed it and placed it on the floor of the aisle. An FA came by, asked who it belonged to, and I said it was someone in coach. She took it back. Didn't see the results..but the bag never came back forward so I assume the Bin Poacher got his comeuppance.
Excellent advice.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by javabytes
On a like-for-like swap, I usually won't complain. You had an aisle and still got an aisle... and not a bulkhead, at that. I'm assuming Row 4 was the last row of FC, in which case I suspect they actually did you a favor with regard to the seat recline.
I've asked for like for like swaps a couple of times. Always asked never poached and when the "poachee" notices it's a similar seat, they've always said ok. On a flight a couple weeks ago on AA I got booked 2D and plus one was seated 4F, I asked 4D for a swap and guest thing he blurted was where are you seated. After I pointed to 2D which is probably better, he said ok. Funny thing was, his bags were already above 2D.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
The problem with this issue is it is almost never an even swap or swap to a better seat; the swappers are usually trying to grab an aisle when they have two windows.

See my original post - the first one the poachers had 8A and D; the second one the swappers had 3A and D.

On the first one I am guessing they could have had seats together but wanted exit row.

On the second one in this case it was FCM but it usually is a battefield upgrade.

When I get battlefield I take what I get, it is part of the game. Traveling with my wife next week; nothing but windows or bulkheads available, so if we do get upgraded that is what we will get. And probably not together; after 20 years I think we can be apart for 1 hour.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
I've put my bags in F when I was the in C+ because there was no more space near C+. Everyone in F was already seated and I asked the FA. Am I a bad person now?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CloneCones
I've put my bags in F when I was the in C+ because there was no more space near C+. Everyone in F was already seated and I asked the FA. Am I a bad person now?
If you asked the FA and they told you to do it, no. It's the ones that 1) don't even look in the back to see if there is space before they stuff their bags in the F overheads and then 2) assume that it is okay without asking that are the ones most of us have issues with.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
If you asked the FA and they told you to do it, no. It's the ones that 1) don't even look in the back to see if there is space before they stuff their bags in the F overheads and then 2) assume that it is okay without asking that are the ones most of us have issues with.
I agree with you. However, I don't think it's appropriate for a 1st class passenger to take the bags out and place them in the aisle. It's the FA's call, not the passenger's, with respect to how to handle this. I would alert the FA and let him/her take it from there. If another 1st class passenger boards needing space, I would let that person know too.
nogophers likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I agree with you. However, I don't think it's appropriate for a 1st class passenger to take the bags out and place them in the aisle. It's the FA's call, not the passenger's, with respect to how to handle this. I would alert the FA and let him/her take it from there. If another 1st class passenger boards needing space, I would let that person know too.
Agree. There are so many self-appointed "airplane procedure police" on here that's it's ridiculous. Physically removing someone else's bag once they're gone, rather than saying something right then, is such a passive aggressive move. And it's just as wrong on that person's part as it is on the person who put it there. Just tell the FA if it bothers you that much. Do these same people try to make citizen's arrests or pull people over for speeding? After all, they're BREAKIN' THE RULES! ::eyeroll::
nogophers and pvn like this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:25 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
Do these same people try to make citizen's arrests or pull people over for speeding?
of course not, as you pointed out, these types of people are passive-aggressive.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
How so?
So if you ask someone a question, the natural response is to think about an answer. If someone is attacking just with statements, some people can just shut them out.

If someone says "I'm taking your seat" you can get mad or do something. You can try coming up with a response ... later. You don't really have to respond.
If someone says "Do you mind if we trade"? you have to think up an answer, cause in public usually it is impolite to ignore someone. Plus there is an audience that is waiting for "your turn".

Think about a lecturer on stage. If someone disagrees, and says "you are wrong, blah blah blah" that is one thing. But if someone asks, "Did you consider this? Why is it like this?" then the onus is on them to answer the question, even if it is ridiculous or stupid.
Why do you think politicians hate the question session at townhalls and other meetings? Or the most dreaded thing by CEOs is getting called to testify (i.e. answer questions) in front of Congress?
CEOs are probably pretty good at keeping a calm demeanor and stoic face in face of attacks. But Congress expects them to answer questions? Like, did you know your "IT security team" was led by a woman who has no background whatsoever in the field?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Cleared standby into a aisle seat (5C) on CRJ9. I noticed the person in the window 5D) also cleared via standby. Boarded last, asked 5D if she wanted to switch, she said no, I said OK. Nobody died.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Normally I would. But in my case, I actually SAW the guy do it, and it was the space over MY seat. Like booting a poacher, I booted his bags.

Had I not seen it, I would have probably assumed it was another F pax.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta/Skyteam Platinum Medallion and Million Miler, MR Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The placing of the suit jacket is a strange phenomenon too. I have encountered similar types of things. For example, when someone isn't going to poach your seat, but poach your under seat space instead.

A few years ago I boarded a short flight and the middle seat guy had placed his back pack under the seat infront of MY seat. When I asked him to move it he rolled his eyes and whined that he had no place to put it because the bins were full. I told him to place it under the seat infront of HIM.

The more forgiving part of me thought it was simply amateur hour and that this guy had never flown before and didn't know how it works. But the cynical part of me..the dominant part..assumed it was just that entitlement millennials have.

The other incident involved a woman's coat on my seat. She was in the window, I was in the aisle. I got to the seat and asked if it was hers and she said "Actually the flight attendant wants to talk to you about that seat..". I removed it, laid it down on the middle seat, and told her I would wait for the FA. Her eyes got big and she huffed a bit but didn't say anything else.

The FA never showed up and spoke to me of course. The only person that showed up was the lady's husband, clearly disappointed at being in the middle. He then forced his wife to take the middle.
Similar thing happened to me a couple of years back, boarded my connection home in DTW which was a CRJ and when I got to my seat (was in the window) there was a guy sitting in the aisle and he had his duffel bag lengthwise under the seat in front of him basically taking the legroom on my side as well. I had a backpack so I asked him if he could move his bag so that I can put mine underneath the seat in front of me, he got irritated and was like "you need to just take your seat" and I repeated my request saying that I can't sit until I can find room for my backpack which I would prefer to place at my feet, the flight attendant saw the exchange and came over to diffuse the situation (she took the guy's bag and put it in the overhead bin a few rows behind us). I sat down and said "you know it's my space underneath the seat in front of me so it wasn't nice of you take it and then refuse to move your bag" for which he replied "why don't you eat s**t and die?", I was completely taken back but didn't say anything bcos I needed to get home for the early morning surgery for my son and didn't want to risk being kicked off the plane. Once we took off though I unleashed a barrage of insults (non-threatening of course) at the guy basically calling him an uneducated and uncultured moron who doesn't know how to treat people, he shut up and kept quiet for the rest of the ride.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I believe in OP's situation, the owner of the jacket had negative intentions to start with, but I notice around this time of year, overhead bins start to get filled up with (sometimes unusually thick) jackets as well as carry-on bags. As a result, late boarders can't find space. But if the alternative is someone putting their jacket in my seat, please, just put it in the bin. I know suit jackets are a different category -- I wouldn't want them to get wrinkled either -- but it should be taken care of appropriately as well.

An aircraft isn't the place to get into a philosophical argument whether your jacket is a "person" and deserves rights...just don't put it in my seat.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:47 pm

Given that this will always happen to frequent flyers, sometimes it is good just to chuckle about it. My favorite experience was a few years ago. I boarded a flight departing from Zurich and was one of the first seated in J. I opened my Kindle and started reading, when an elderly lady came up and started speaking to me, but I had no idea what she was saying. So the woman seated in front of me turned around and told me that the older woman was speaking in German, and was telling me that she and her husband had been separated, and would I switch seats with one of them so they could sit together. I obliged. Gathered my things and moved to the other side of the aisle. Resettled my stuff, reopened my Kindle, started reading, when another guy comes up to me and, in French, asks if I might swap seats with him so he can sit with his wife. (At least I spoke French so got the gist of what was going on). I didn't care and had already been unsettled. So I gathered my things and moved one row back, restored my stuff, and got back to my book. Well, wouldn't you know it. Another woman comes up and addresses me in Italian! (Which I understood). She says that she and her young son were supposed to be seated together, but because we had an aircraft change, they were separated and. . .would I mind, blah, blah, blah. But at this point, everyone in J had already seen me switch seats so many times that all of the pax seated around me burst out laughing and cheering me on. When I took my fourth seat, the passenger I sat down next to joked that she didn't want to get too familiar because she assumed I would be moving yet again. And of course people all around leaned over and said I was being a really nice guy, especially for an American. So everyone ended up happy and I thought it was amusing. Ordinarily this stuff irritates me, but where else but Switzerland could one be asked to change seats in three different languages!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.