Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000
Next time if you read my full comments it might help you understand!

IBecause the couple getting over a flawed system is delibertly selecting an aisle and window to try to take the entire row then if the middle seat is taken they think they are doing the person a favor by offering to switch seats

This is what I wrote that you missed:
When you call the diamond desk does the agent suggest that you book the aisle and window seat so later you can do a favor for the person sitting in the middle seat?
And of course Delta wants when the flight is full for customers to disrupt each other for better seats?
I actually do regularly have DL agents suggest this to me when they are doing seat assignments for my wife and I. We do it all the time...it is part of the privilege or being elite and booking early. We also do it on WN all of the time.

I think all single grumbly business travelers and internet trolls should be assigned middle seats so that they lighten up.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Next time if you read my full comments it might help you understand!

IBecause the couple getting over a flawed system is delibertly selecting an aisle and window to try to take the entire row then if the middle seat is taken they think they are doing the person a favor by offering to switch seats

This is what I wrote that you missed:
When you call the diamond desk does the agent suggest that you book the aisle and window seat so later you can do a favor for the person sitting in the middle seat?
And of course Delta wants when the flight is full for customers to disrupt each other for better seats?
So you fully admit above to not caring about or wanting to be involved in other passengers seat-assignment problems when they want to be accomodated to sit together but now in this post expect other passengers to care about seat assignment issues and show that they care about other passengers like you?

Because that makes sense..... For some reason you’re really upset that others passengers care as little about you as you care about them.....
pvn and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta marriott
Originally Posted by pgh234
I actually do regularly have DL agents suggest this to me when they are doing seat assignments for my wife and I. We do it all the time...it is part of the privilege or being elite and booking early. We also do it on WN all of the time.

I think all single grumbly business travelers and internet trolls should be assigned middle seats so that they lighten up.
Since I am only permitted 5 posts in 24 hours I will try to address all the ridicilus comments at once
ATTOBTTR you don’t even make sense if the needy and selfish couple who must sit together would book the seats that they wanted together instead of running a scam to get the entire row then there would be no need to bother me with your problems of wanting to try your best for a free seat in the middle.
Then to have the audacity to think you are doing the person who gets the middle seat if the flight is sold ut a favor by offering to switch seats is extremely ignorant which is part of the entitlement issue of thinking you and your wife are better and more deserving than all other passengers

SIT WHEREEVER YOU WANT JUST DON’T EXPECT OTHERS TO SWITCH SEATS WITH YOU WHEN YOUR SCAM TO MAKE THE MIDDLE SEAT EMPTY DOES NOT WORK FOR YOU

Now pgh234
Thank you for admitting that Delta agents are sugggesting that you and your wife take advantage of trying to get a free seat in the middle .What a nice charity to run for the privileged and elite V Class customer who books first to get the very best coach seats and the best prices. So much better than running a business for profit by trying to sell all seats.

And since you are Delta’s most favorite customer I am sure they will love your advice to only give the business travelers the middle seats since it should be highly profitable for them and a wise business decision.
Maybe they can run it as an advertisement “pay more for the privilege to sit in the middle seat next to the most elite v class customers”
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ATTOBTTR you don’t even make sense if the needy and selfish couple who must sit together would book the seats that they wanted together instead of running a scam to get the entire row then there would be no need to bother me with your problems of wanting to try your best for a free seat in the middle.
Then to have the audacity to think you are doing the person who gets the middle seat if the flight is sold ut a favor by offering to switch seats is extremely ignorant which is part of the entitlement issue of thinking you and your wife are better and more deserving than all other passengers
1) Where did I say I engage in this “scam” as you call it? I may book myself in an aisle and my wife in a window but if we do, we don’t ask people to switch. I stay in the aisle and she keeps the window. So either you lack reading comprehension or (if you try to use this predictable cop-out that you weren’t referring to me despite my name being immediately above and no new references) you should clarify your use of who “you” refers to when you’re quoting or referring to multiple posters without breaks or clear quote references in the posts. Maybe if you spent less time getting worked up about stuff like this you’d catch these kinds of things.
2) You complain about others being selfish and entitled but then get mad because they won’t do what you view as best for you and your preferences. You know what we call people like you? “Selfish” and “Entitled”. Once again - you expect people to care about you all while you admit openly on here that you don’t care about them.

But hey, stand (or rather sit) your ground and stay in that middle seat if it will make you feel all the better at the end of the day and prove your point that at the end of the day the couple isn’t going to care about or change their ways because they’ll almost certainly think you’re being silly by staying in a middle seat to make a point. ^

By the way, you can address multiple points in one post by quoting multiple posts in one post. So you’re “I can only make 5 posts in 24 hours” is a pretty lame cop-out for your lack of basic knowledge on Internet forums and how to quote multiple users in the same post.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I'm not married, so maybe I just don't get it. But it seems bizarre to me, too. You see each other every day--don't you want a vacation for a few hours?

I was on a WN flight from LAS once. A young woman was in the middle seat next to me. A young man asked me to move so he could be next to her. I said, "Sure, if it's another aisle seat." Nope. Middle. I told him if he could find an aisle, I'd move. He just looked longingly at her during the first part of the flight, then came up and said he'd found an aisle. "Sure," I said. Turns out it was an aisle next to a POS. And I mean SIZE. Probably 6-4 and 300 lbs. But I have to say--he was a super-polite seat-neighbor. He kept himself as contracted as possible, with his arms on his stomach. I don't know how he did it for so long--I'd have gotten cramps. I was really appreciative of his self-awareness, and thought of how uncomfortable it must be for him squashed into that middle seat.
Good lord. When people say no good deed goes unpunished, this is what they mean.

I would have said no the first time, and saved myself getting squished by a COS. But the fact that he still came later and asked again..that's raw impudence. Worse, the reason the seat was available was because a COS was in it..because nobody wants to sit by a COS. And he offered it to you like it was equal.

I am afraid you got taken.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
literally not one person has said that you should have to solve it for them or give up your seat. Not a single one.

Then why did you bring up other pax problems as an excuse I should consider?:

"Also keep in mind a lot of people, even people who travel frequently, have a lot of anxiety around flying, and sitting next to someone they know can go a long way towards mitigating that, even if they don't speak during the flight."
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't risk other passengers reporting the statement to an FA. That would be a quick and easy way for someone to get your seat.
Dammit MSP! Stop raining on my parade!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:39 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Then why did you bring up other pax problems as an excuse I should consider?:
you're not the only person in this thread, not every response is aimed at you
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:25 am

I am curious are people allowed to have more than one account on flyer talk?

Last edited by Flyinlion1000; Oct 23, 2018 at 11:31 am Reason: Wrong person to quote
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

1) Where did I say I engage in this “scam” as you call it? I may book myself in an aisle and my wife in a window but if we do, we don’t ask people to switch. I stay in the aisle and she keeps the window. So either you lack reading comprehension or (if you try to use this predictable cop-out that you weren’t referring to me despite my name being immediately above and no new references) you should clarify your use of who “you” refers to when you’re quoting or referring to multiple posters without breaks or clear quote references in the posts. Maybe if you spent less time getting worked up about stuff like this you’d catch these kinds of things.
2) You complain about others being selfish and entitled but then get mad because they won’t do what you view as best for you and your preferences. You know what we call people like you? “Selfish” and “Entitled”. Once again - you expect people to care about you all while you admit openly on here that you don’t care about them.

But hey, stand (or rather sit) your ground and stay in that middle seat if it will make you feel all the better at the end of the day and prove your point that at the end of the day the couple isn’t going to care about or change their ways because they’ll almost certainly think you’re being silly by staying in a middle seat to make a point. ^

By the way, you can address multiple points in one post by quoting multiple posts in one post. So you’re “I can only make 5 posts in 24 hours” is a pretty lame cop-out for your lack of basic knowledge on Internet forums and how to quote multiple users in the same post.
I will say I am sorry for getting you confused with spamkiller and MarkP24 as you sound just like them
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamkiller

Originally Posted by spamkiller
Usually when I ask to switch seats people are happy to do it. That happens when I am on aisle and my wife has window. They are in the middle seat. How many people here would mind if I asked to switch into their middle seat?
MarkP24
I employ the same tactic when traveling with my wife and it's a row of 3. We take the aisle and window and hope no one winds up in the middle. If they do, they are happy to switch from the middle to an aisle or window.”

I am curious are people allowed to have more than one account on flyer forum?

Back to you ATOBTTR

As I am not an expert on flyertalk like you are with almost 4500 posts congratulations on your achievement!
Even though I lack knowledge on how to post on internet forums as I am too busy traveling to post 5000 comments, I am intelligent enough to know that I struck a nerve which angered you enough to post your insulting remarks. Usually when someone becomes too defensive there is truth to the allegations.
So it is my belief that you do engage in the “ try to keep the middle seat open then try to find a sucker to switch scam” and of course you are taking advantage of the free upgrades with your platinum status while the diamond status last minute traveler who is paying the most for his seats is getting rewarded with the middle seat.

I always thought that the diamond customer would be a priority for Delta to please instead of the platinum customers who have the luxury of booking early for the best seats and prices in coach, I guess I was wrong as evident by their advertised benefits!

I am addressing all people as YOU who have the mentality to think that they are doing someone a favor by asking them to switch seats

Like I said b4 you can sit wherever you want just have the decency to stay in the assigned seat that you picked with your in advance V class companion economy comfort seat upgrade and appreciate the free upgrade that Delta gave your companion instead of bothering others with your selfish problems
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife and I choose 2 aisle seats across from each other when we travel together. We are rarely asked to swap seats. When it happens I point out that we're together and that ends it.
Is someone going to object that we are somehow breaking the rules because since we're traveling together we must stay on the same side of the aisle? Is that a rule anywhere but in your mind?
I book an aisle when I travel alone. I have been asked, but not that often. I think this happens to solo travelers more than parties, which is why it's such a hot button on this website. I only swap aisle for aisle. Unless there's a cabin upgrade involved.
On WN, famous for open seating and infamous for seat saving, since I'm looking for an aisle seat, I don't even notice seat savers. I've never seen an aisle seat saved. Not to say it hasn't happened, but IME, aisle seats are either open or occupied. Occasionally I've seen a coat or something on an empty aisle seat. I assume that person is in the lav and just go to the next one.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I am curious are people allowed to have more than one account on flyer talk?
That's an interesting question, Mr. Flyin Lion -- are you by any chance related to Milo?
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
almost certainly the same guy, they use the same phrases a lot (e.g. "like I said b4") and both complain that people are taking them out of context etc.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I am not an expert on flyertalk like you are with almost 4500 posts congratulations on your achievement!
Even though I lack knowledge on how to post on internet forums as I am too busy traveling to post 5000 comments

~4400 posts over the span of 3.5 years. And it has nothing to do with FT specifically. It’s basic understanding of how to use many an internet forum. Despite also being busy with work and flying and traveling, I and many other users on here have learned how tonquite multiple people in the same posts. So you don’t get to blame “being busy traveling” cop-out for your shortcomings. Quoting multiple people in the same post isn’t rocket science yet you struggle with it apparently.

But I will touch on this - since you have difficulty with math (and as one’s FT profile will tell you), ~4500 posts over about ~3.5 years is ~3.5 posts per day. Your profile shows you joined this month (17 October) and have 17 posts already, and shows you’re averaging 2.8 posts per day and you admit it would be higher but youre limited by the limitations of new members. Even with the limitations, our averages are within about 1/2 a post a day day of each other. Hardly a statistical significance in difference there. I’ve just been active a lot longer than you have. I’m hardly posting more per day than you, despite your attempt to show to the contrary.

So it is my belief that you do engage in the “ try to keep the middle seat open then try to find a sucker to switch scam” and of course you are taking advantage of the free upgrades with your platinum status while the diamond status last minute traveler who is paying the most for his seats is getting rewarded with the middle seat.
Good for you and your beliefs. You can believe in Santa Claus or a flat earth too. That doesn’t mean it’s real or accurate and is just you trying to cover up your own lack of reading comprehension. I never said I engage in the “scam” as you call it (not that I even view it as a scam but that’s irrelevant). If I book myself in a window and my wife in an aisle that’s where we sit. I’m not moving to the middle because I get up frequently and she likes being in the window so she doesn’t have to be bothered if people get up. We book this knowing the middle will likely be occupied or we book options with sets of 2 seats that allow for an aisle/window combo with no middle or, in many cases, we book FC anyway to avoid the issue altogether depending on the fare difference between F and Y.

I always thought that the diamond customer would be a priority for Delta to please instead of the platinum customers who have the luxury of booking early for the best seats and prices in coach, I guess I was wrong as evident by their advertised benefits
1) You don’t understand the intent behind FF programs then and you obviously don’t understand that FF programs are marketing programs under the guise of rewards programs. And you clearly don’t understand how supply and demand plays into this, among other factors.
2) DMs who book early have the same benefits.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Fact 1: Anyone booking a last minute coach flight will most likely end up in a middle seat.
Fact 2: If a couple books available aisle and a window seats (for whatever reason) and they later decide to trade with a passenger who booked later when only middle seats were available, they are giving them a better seat that was not available to them at booking.

How is this a scam? Isn't it doing the other passenger a favor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.