Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
About 10 years ago I was asked by a NRSA to swap seats with him, since his wife was cleared at the gate and had the seat next to me. I politely told him that I had a personal preference with seat 4A (I usually selected it in advance when most of the cabin was still empty) and he told me that he had a personal preference to not allow strangers to seat next to his wife. I let him deal with it and ask whoever was sitting next to him to swap seats.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
About 10 years ago I was asked by a NRSA to swap seats with him, since his wife was cleared at the gate and had the seat next to me. I politely told him that I had a personal preference with seat 4A (I usually selected it in advance when most of the cabin was still empty) and he told me that he had a personal preference to not allow strangers to seat next to his wife. I let him deal with it and ask whoever was sitting next to him to swap seats.
I thought one part of the deal for an NRSA is to accept the seat you're given and deal with it.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta marriott
Originally Posted by DF136BRC

Wait... So your complaint is over people asking OTHER people to switch?

This sounds like an objection to the response rather than an objection to the behavior itself.

Are you saying that you don’t want to be asked at all (unrealistic) or that you don’t want a rude response when you decline?

This looks like the true nature of the complaint. Is it that since you think it’s “not the end of the world,” they shouldn’t ask at all?

Guess what, even if the Delta agent DOESN’T make the suggestion, the person is likely going to come ask you directly anyway if the agent can’t accommodate the request. There is no rule, policy or guideline that says someone can’t come ask you to switch.

Just say “I’m not interested” and take all the extra energy out of it.[/left]
The asking is happening too frequently and the ones that ask usually have entitlement issues and are rude when you say no!
If the most important thing is to sit together then this should be taken care of at the time of booking the flight.
The couples who can’t handle being apart on a flight for a couple hours should solve their problem with Delta.
Delta sold them their tickets not me and I do not wish to be placed in the middle of their problems.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I employ the same tactic when traveling with my wife and it's a row of 3. We take the aisle and window and hope no one winds up in the middle. If they do, they are happy to switch from the middle to an aisle or window.
So you intentially take the aisle and window seat hoping the middle seat is empty since it is the most undesirable seat on the plane and the last to sell.
I think you are most likely using the free economy comfort companion upgrade option for your wife booking way in advance to get the best prices and the best seats in coach
And of course this isn’t taking advantage of Delta trying to give your companion the same benefits you have?
So when someone books at the last minute and only middle seats are available he either books another flight on Delta, buys off another airline to get a more comfortable seat, or takes the middle seat and should be thrilled that you and your wife are so generous to offer to switch seats with him
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000
So you intentially take the aisle and window seat hoping the middle seat is empty since it is the most undesirable seat on the plane and the last to sell.
I think you are most likely using the free economy comfort companion upgrade option for your wife booking way in advance to get the best prices and the best seats in coach
They also pay with non-refundability. If you want the same seats you can buy earlier too, whether refundable or not.

And of course this isn’t taking advantage of Delta trying to give your companion the same benefits you have?
It's taking advantage of a published benefit

So when someone books at the last minute and only middle seats are available he either books another flight on Delta, buys off another airline to get a more comfortable seat,
Enjoy the other airlines. UA allows 1 companion in E+ at booking for Gold and 8 companions at booking for Platinum and 1K. AA I believe allows 1 companion in MCE for AA Gold (equivalent of DL Silver) and 8 companions starting with AA Plat (equivalent of DL Gold).

or takes the middle seat and should be thrilled that you and your wife are so generous to offer to switch seats with him
You don't have to accept.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
They also pay with non-refundability. If you want the same seats you can buy earlier too, whether refundable or not.

It's taking advantage of a published benefit

Enjoy the other airlines. UA allows 1 companion in E+ at booking for Gold and 8 companions at booking for Platinum and 1K. AA I believe allows 1 companion in MCE for AA Gold (equivalent of DL Silver) and 8 companions starting with AA Plat (equivalent of DL Gold).

You don't have to accept.
So are you trying to say Delta’s published benefit is for the diamond or platinum customer to take the aisle and window seat leaving the middle seat open which is the last seat to sell is encouraged by Delta?
When you call the diamond desk does the agent suggest that you book the aisle and window seat so later you can do a favor for the person sitting in the middle seat?
And of course Delta wants when the flight is full for customers to disrupt each other for better seats?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
So are you trying to say Delta’s published benefit is for the diamond or platinum customer to take the aisle and window seat leaving the middle seat open which is the last seat to sell is encouraged by Delta?
When you call the diamond desk does the agent suggest that you book the aisle and window seat so later you can do a favor for the person sitting in the middle seat?
And of course Delta wants when the flight is full for customers to disrupt each other for better seats?
I'm saying bringing a companion into C+ is a published benefit. Seat selection in your assigned cabin is a published benefit. How you use your benefits is entirely up to you of course.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:49 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
[left]So are you trying to say Delta’s published benefit is for the diamond or platinum customer to take the aisle and window seat leaving the middle seat open which is the last seat to sell is encouraged by Delta?
what are you even talking about? People who are entitled to select a seat can ... select a seat. Some people can only select "normal" seats, some elites get access to "preferred" seats. If you pay for seat selection or have access to it by virtue of your elite status, then selecting a seat is what you get to do.

How is this any different than a solo traveler taking the aisle seat and then another solo traveler coming along and selecting the window seat in that row??? Would you be offended that these two selfish jerks left the middle seat open?

Are you suggesting that delta should somehow force people to book adjacent seats?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I thought one part of the deal for an NRSA is to accept the seat you're given and deal with it.
I only learned this several years after it happened.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
If Delta doesn’t want me to select seats that way, Delta is free to change its seat selection method. The person in your example is none the wiser if the people in the window and aisle are unrelated yet the person only has middle seats to choose from.

Sounds like you’re just bitter because someone booked the better seats before you did.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Neither of you made a comment about being "so sick wouldn't want worst enemy to come in contact with anything I've touched."

There's a liability difference between them hearing you say, and thus knowing, and you coughing and them not knowing.
OK. So don’t say it near FAs. Noted.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta

OK. So don’t say it near FAs. Noted.
Don't risk other passengers reporting the statement to an FA. That would be a quick and easy way for someone to get your seat.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by pvn
what are you even talking about? People who are entitled to select a seat can ... select a seat. Some people can only select "normal" seats, some elites get access to "preferred" seats. If you pay for seat selection or have access to it by virtue of your elite status, then selecting a seat is what you get to do.

How is this any different than a solo traveler taking the aisle seat and then another solo traveler coming along and selecting the window seat in that row??? Would you be offended that these two selfish jerks left the middle seat open?

Are you suggesting that delta should somehow force people to book adjacent seats?
Next time if you read my full comments it might help you understand!

IBecause the couple getting over a flawed system is delibertly selecting an aisle and window to try to take the entire row then if the middle seat is taken they think they are doing the person a favor by offering to switch seats

This is what I wrote that you missed:
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:47 am
pvn
Suspended

Again, how is this any different from me as a solo traveler seeing a row with an occupied aisle and empty middle/window, booking the window seat and hoping the middle stays empty? Am I "disrupting" other customers?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:49 am
pvn
Suspended

This is what I wrote that you missed:
I didn't "miss" this. I don't understand what this means. Are these actually questions? I don't really call the diamond desk to get advice about seats, so I have no idea what they might suggest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.