Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Strong dislike and I've had quite a few on long haul economy flights.
I think some pax don't realize that not all seats are equal; e.g., got asked to move back to a regular economy seat out of economy comfort or on a 777 got asked to switch to "another aisle seat" but it was the window side aisle vs. middle aisle (4x more likely to be asked to get up for your neighbors to go to the toilet...)
Most annoying one was where a mother with an infant in lap threatened me that the baby would scream all night if I didn't give up my (bulkhead) seat to her husband who was a few rows back in the middle seat.

I must admit I have annoyed other F pax after getting 2 upgrades myself...
At the same time I've gone up to a pax on a TATL flight in an economy exit row with the question "would you mind switching seats", met with great annoyance and a "uhm no" coming up, before telling them "are you sure, it's in delta one"... quite funny to see people change their mind that quickly
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bretthexum
On principle of what? Of course I wouldn't trade for a middle seat .... but come on.
On the principle that it's grossly discourteous to impose your wants on a fellow passenger.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:47 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
lol at this "asking = imposing" canard AGAIN
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
lol at this "asking = imposing" canard AGAIN
Is it not imposing? Someone selects their seats in advance, maybe pays extra, gets settled in, and then someone who thinks sitting with their companion justifies pressuing a complete stranger to move..most often to a worse seat.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:55 am

Oh man this irritates me to no end. I choose my aisle seat specifically because I don't like being blocked in if I need to use the restroom and I just prefer Aisle. Walking to the gate on a recent AS flight I received a push notification that they had changed my seat to a window. When I asked the gate agent to explain why my seat had been changed they were "trying to accommodate a couple who wanted to sit together" it was a relatively short flight and if it was a family I might be more sympathetic but not for 2 adults who can't bare to spend 90 minutes apart, really? I asked them to put me back in an aisle seat. They were a little miffed when I asked but thankfully they found me an aisle seat.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
For those getting wound up about a seat swap - recommend this read. Yes, it's perfectly fine to decline but just don't be a rude about it.

Amazon Amazon
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by kop84
I've never minded when a couple wants to sit aisle/window leaving a random person in the middle, but then you need to respect the middle seat and not be trying to chat the whole flight or pass things back and forth a bunch. (Not you specifically, but anyone who does this) It's already bad enough sitting in the middle, no need to compound the misery by talking over someone for possibly multiple hours.
You're absolutely right that would be rude, which is why we make a conscious effort not to talk over someone. But honestly even in DeltaOne we book two window seats front and back (i.e. 3A, 4A) because we can be independent. But I expect that independence of others too - after a refusal to take a friend's middle seat the friend stood in the aisle and talked over me after takeoff until the drink service started.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000
Am I the only one sick of being asked to swich my seat?
Sorry I booked an aisle seat because I want an aisle seat and I do not to switch it for a window seat!
Yes I understand there are times like if a child needs to sit with his parents I understand however I am being asked too many times to switch my seat!
I hear you! I agree - large headphones, keep your head in a book and make no eye contact. That helps every time!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by bretthexum
For those getting wound up about a seat swap - recommend this read. Yes, it's perfectly fine to decline but just don't be a rude about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Sweat-Sm.../dp/B000FC1VX8
That may be OK for other people, but not for ME. I'm too important.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by gooselee
I don't mind if asked politely and being asked to trade like-for-like. Have an upcoming flight with Mrs. Lee where her ticket was booked much later, and there weren't two seats together anymore. So, I'll be asking 25C if they'd be okay trading for my 24C. Same aisle, one row up, and they can recline into me all they'd like. If they say no, then I guess we'll try 24A for 25A, or we'll just fly apart.

But I'd much rather have someone ask me than just show up and have them all settled into my seat because they wanted to be with their spouse, friend, coworker, emotional support rabbit, whatever, and then point me to their middle seat 75 rows back.
Have I asked someone to change with me when I have boarded first? Yes, but I have never moved into the seat. I am prepared to move back to my seat if the answer is no. I expect the same respect. I will always say yes to similar seat requests EXCEPT when someone simply moves in before me and expects me to acquiesce.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Usually when I ask to switch seats people are happy to do it. That happens when I am on aisle and my wife has window. They are in the middle seat. How many people here would mind if I asked to switch into their middle seat?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Is it not imposing? Someone selects their seats in advance, maybe pays extra, gets settled in, and then someone who thinks sitting with their companion justifies pressuing a complete stranger to move..most often to a worse seat.
It's only imposing if they believe/behave like you have to accept. Simply asking isn't imposing. You've been clear in past you'd rather spite yourself (by not accepting a move Y to F/J) simply because they dared asked. If you're really that bothered by a simple request then flying private is for you. A simple no is is all that is required and ignore them the few times someone continues to ask.
zeebanker likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 18, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta marriott
Originally Posted by Grog
Your original post led me to think the same people were recurringly asking you on subsequent flights. Sounds like it's individuals who don't know each other, hence no conspiracy.

As already suggested, simply take your seat and avoid eye contact or polite smiling until taxiing. If you feel you're attracting too many requests, there's something else going on. Or, with further contemplation, is this a cry for free seat reservations on all commercial airlines?
Wooo my post being a cry for free seat reservations does not even make sense? If I did not want my assigned seat I would be flying southwest. First of all I would like to thank everyone for their comments and even the negative comments. I am sorry to offend PVN as I am new to the forum and I did not know about the thread that PVN started. I am only allowed 5 replies in 24 hours and I am not sure if this is because I am new or if the 5 reply rule applies to everyone?
I will try the headphone trick maybe that will work to avoid uncomfortable situations with strangers on a plane. All of us are different and there are many of us who do not like confrontation and will switch without wanting to just do avoid an unpleasant situation with the peron who asked.
What I do not understand is if it is so important to sit next to each other and that it would be so terrible to be seperated for a couple hours why not book seats together or call Delta and ask them to find seats together and if that don’t work then ask the gate agent? Why bother complete strangers with requests to switch seats? I am sitting in the aisle seat because that is the seat I want to sit in I do not want the middle or window seat.
I have been with Delta for about 7 years and fly about 150,000 a year mostly domestic so I am on a plane almost every week and this year has been the worst with all the request for seat switching and it isn’t me being asked to switch I hear customers asking in the rows behind me.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
I've been asked a lot of times and it does irritate me a little. I have agreed to switch seats about half the time and declined about half the time. I really like bulkhead seats because I can work on the laptop with nobody leaning back on me so I'm not likely to give up that seat if I plan on working. I also prefer aisle seats and will not give up my seat unless it is another aisle seat.

Don't be afraid to say no.
Flyinlion1000 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000
Wooo my post being a cry for free seat reservations does not even make sense? If I did not want my assigned seat I would be flying southwest. First of all I would like to thank everyone for their comments and even the negative comments. I am sorry to offend PVN as I am new to the forum and I did not know about the thread that PVN started. I am only allowed 5 replies in 24 hours and I am not sure if this is because I am new or if the 5 reply rule applies to everyone?
I will try the headphone trick maybe that will work to avoid uncomfortable situations with strangers on a plane. All of us are different and there are many of us who do not like confrontation and will switch without wanting to just do avoid an unpleasant situation with the peron who asked.
What I do not understand is if it is so important to sit next to each other and that it would be so terrible to be seperated for a couple hours why not book seats together or call Delta and ask them to find seats together and if that don’t work then ask the gate agent? Why bother complete strangers with requests to switch seats? I am sitting in the aisle seat because that is the seat I want to sit in I do not want the middle or window seat.
I have been with Delta for about 7 years and fly about 150,000 a year mostly domestic so I am on a plane almost every week and this year has been the worst with all the request for seat switching and it isn’t me being asked to switch I hear customers asking in the rows behind me.
It's not always possible to book together. Also agents won't just move someone cause you ask. They'll tell you to ask the passenger if they would mind.
MarkP24 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.