Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GUC - seat taken back after boarding, what to do about next segment

Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

On SEA-NRT-SIN I was upgraded with a GUC. After everyone finished boarding a red coat informed me that the seat wasn't able to be used and I'd have to move back to my original seat.

Now I have my second leg still upgraded, but I wouldn't choose to use a GUC for only the NRT-SIN leg.

My assumption is that they did not credit the GUC back to my account. Should I attempt to get a gate agent in NRT to un-upgrade my second leg so I can get the cert back? Or call the Diamond line? Haven't had this situation come up before.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Unfortunately, if you were actually upgraded with the GUC, the cert was almost certainly used as payment.

Check DL.com and see the state of the cert - it may now show as "closed", and you'll have a battle to get it back no matter what you do on the NRT-SIN segment.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
If you are flying, try Delta on Twitter.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Were you confirmed in advance on the SEA-NRT segment or did you get the upgrade at the gate? Why did the Red Coat say you were the one being downgraded? I agree about trying DL via Twitter in-flight if you can; if not, you'll probably have to call customer care in Atlanta to see what they can do when your trip is over.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Was the seat broken or did they give it to someone else?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
Was the seat broken or did they give it to someone else?
One of the crew came by later and apologized and let me know that it was because the crew rest area was broken/unusable and they needed the seats for that.

At the moment the cert is still showing "open" so I'm hoping that the red coat took care of it for me already.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Plat Amex
I always only submit my UC for the long leg that I want to be upgraded on. My first leg (outbound) I usually get a CMU. This way if the GUC does not clear on the TATL I won't be burning an UC for a short leg like SDF - ATL.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I would let it go. NRT-SIN is 3,324 miles. I wouldn't mind using GUC for that although it is obviously better if can be upgraded for SEA-NRT as well. If GUC stays "open" then so much the better.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Sailandfly
I always only submit my UC for the long leg that I want to be upgraded on. My first leg (outbound) I usually get a CMU. This way if the GUC does not clear on the TATL I won't be burning an UC for a short leg like SDF - ATL.
Sure, but this is not really relevant here as the OP requires GUCs to upgrade both international segments. DL should absolutely refund the GUC in this instance, although I am also curious when the SEA-NRT GUC cleared (at the gate or beforehand?).

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
While not 100% similar, I recently flew SIN>NRT in D1 on a cleared GUC, then attempted to fly NRT>DTW (also on a cleared GUC), but, without getting into the nitty gritty of the issues on the ground, ended up missing the flight (along with everyone else on the SIN>NRT flight) through no fault of our own, and ended up spending the night in NRT (terrible). Anyhow, the point is, I wrote to DL about our experience and they ended up re-instating the entire GUC for my wife and I for the trouble, even though SIN>NRT cleared (and we flew it). As with most things, it doesn't hurt to ask, they have the power to give you the GUC back, and given this was a crew/seat issue on your part, they may take pity on you. I think you have a relatively good case, given you stated you might not have used it just for NRT>SIN
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Sure, but this is not really relevant here as the OP requires GUCs to upgrade both international segments.
I am flying DTW-NRT-SIN in January and need only 1 GUC for both flights. I agree that if one segment clears the GUC is gone, so I always attach the GUC to the DTW-NRT segment and when (if) it clears the same GUC can attach to the remaining NRT-SIN segment. Even though the NRT-SIN segment is a long flight, I don't waste a GUC on a 767.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Platinum_Wannabe
One of the crew came by later and apologized and let me know that it was because the crew rest area was broken/unusable and they needed the seats for that.

At the moment the cert is still showing "open" so I'm hoping that the red coat took care of it for me already.
It shows open for a while, so I wouldn't bet on that. I think you have a case to call Customer Care and maybe you will get to keep it.

David
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It shows open for a while, so I wouldn't bet on that. I think you have a case to call Customer Care and maybe you will get to keep it.

David
Don't call unless it goes to closed.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
Personally, I would let it go. NRT-SIN is 3,324 miles. I wouldn't mind using GUC for that although it is obviously better if can be upgraded for SEA-NRT as well. If GUC stays "open" then so much the better.
It may be a lot of miles and time, but it's not true D1 service on the intraAsia NRT-SIN route. You get a flat bed, probably on a 767 these days, and IME/IMO worse F&B than on domestic FC flights that serve a genuine dinner (versus snack or lunch).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Don't call unless it goes to closed.
^ ^ Absolutely.

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.