Wiki Posts
Search

Tight connection in PDX - am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
Tight connection in PDX - am I crazy?

I'm looking at booking a trip next summer from SEA to AMS. On the day I want to fly, the best routing available is SEA-PDX-AMS. That gets me the non-stop TATL leg that I want (it's all about sleep time for me). SEA to PDX is certainly a quick, easy hop, and I don't mind adding that on. My concern is the tight connection in PDX - just 62 minutes.
Delta's ticketing engine is offering this routing, so it's a legal connection.
We will have checked bags.

In most cases I wouldn't accept such a short connection, but in this case I'm tempted, since this routing gets me the long TATL that I want (other options don't). I figure that...
1. Both flights will be on Delta metal, and they will try hard to get us on the TATL flight rather than have to accommodate us later.
2. We will be in DeltaOne, so we will be seated in one of the first few rows, and we will be off the inbound plane quickly. Our checked bags will also get some sort of "priority" tags (for what that's worth...).
3. PDX isn't huge. I expect we will hustle off the inbound, hustle straight to the outbound gate, and board.
4. I know Delta puts an emphasis on being on-time.

All that said, I'm not very familiar with the gate layout at PDX, so I don't have a clear sense of how far it would be from the incoming gate (domestic) to the outbound (international). I'm assuming we would not have to re-clear security, so please correct me if I'm wrong (that could easily scuttle this plan).

I'd welcome input from those familiar with Delta ops in PDX on how risky this 62 minute connection would be.

What do you think - is one hour enough to make that connection?

Thank you!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Um....you won't walk longer than 10 minutes to your gate.

PDX is easier to traverse than SLC.

You will be MORE THAN FINE, my friend!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
absolutely no worries; the only possible source of slowdown will be if SEA-PDX is a CR7/CR9 and you have to wait 5 min for pink-tagged carry-on bags
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
absolutely no worries; the only possible source of slowdown will be if SEA-PDX is a CR7/CR9 and you have to wait 5 min for pink-tagged carry-on bags
The SEA-PDX flight is listed as a 737-800 (at least it is now, 7 months out - I know things can and do change).

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 355F1
Um....you won't walk longer than 10 minutes to your gate.

PDX is easier to traverse than SLC.

You will be MORE THAN FINE, my friend!
Cool. Thank you!!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I'm assuming we would not have to re-clear security, so please correct me if I'm wrong
You are correct. I would be comfortable with that connection. PDX is my current home airport. It is small.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I'm sure there's a reason you're not booking one of the nonstop SEA-AMS flights, but if your flight gets delayed, you can always have Delta rebook you on one of those.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
You are correct. I would be comfortable with that connection. PDX is my current home airport. It is small.
Perfect - thank you!!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:22 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
It's the most efficient airport that I've been to, not too large and unless there's a big delay in arriving to PDX, you'll be fine. In fact, you'd probably even have time to use your Priority Pass at 1 if not 2 different locations (picking up goodies) and even stop at the Delta SkyClub if you have access to them.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
All the Delta gates are within a couple minutes walk of each other.
No worries there
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:57 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I was looking at LAS-SEA-PDX-NRT in July (DL 1632, DL 1741, DL 69). This has a 31 minute connection in PDX and that is domestic to international.

I see the gates are close but what about delays, if international boarding cuts at T-15 that leaves 16 minutes to get off the plane and get to the next flight. Too close?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I'm looking at booking a trip next summer from SEA to AMS. On the day I want to fly, the best routing available is SEA-PDX-AMS. That gets me the non-stop TATL leg that I want (it's all about sleep time for me). SEA to PDX is certainly a quick, easy hop, and I don't mind adding that on. My concern is the tight connection in PDX - just 62 minutes.
Delta's ticketing engine is offering this routing, so it's a legal connection.
We will have checked bags.

In most cases I wouldn't accept such a short connection, but in this case I'm tempted, since this routing gets me the long TATL that I want (other options don't). I figure that...
1. Both flights will be on Delta metal, and they will try hard to get us on the TATL flight rather than have to accommodate us later.
2. We will be in DeltaOne, so we will be seated in one of the first few rows, and we will be off the inbound plane quickly. Our checked bags will also get some sort of "priority" tags (for what that's worth...).
3. PDX isn't huge. I expect we will hustle off the inbound, hustle straight to the outbound gate, and board.
4. I know Delta puts an emphasis on being on-time.

All that said, I'm not very familiar with the gate layout at PDX, so I don't have a clear sense of how far it would be from the incoming gate (domestic) to the outbound (international). I'm assuming we would not have to re-clear security, so please correct me if I'm wrong (that could easily scuttle this plan).

I'd welcome input from those familiar with Delta ops in PDX on how risky this 62 minute connection would be.

What do you think - is one hour enough to make that connection?

Thank you!
62 minutes is not tight at all.
But you have to weigh what missing the flight would mean to you (in the event of a delayed SEA-PDX).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by puddinhead
I was looking at LAS-SEA-PDX-NRT in July (DL 1632, DL 1741, DL 69). This has a 31 minute connection in PDX and that is domestic to international.

I see the gates are close but what about delays, if international boarding cuts at T-15 that leaves 16 minutes to get off the plane and get to the next flight. Too close?
I have done AS ONT to PDX connecting to DL to NRT a couple of times. If you arrive in PDX on time, you'll have no problem. Just make sure you go to the podium so the GA can verify your passport before attempting to board the plane.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:58 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by puddinhead

Without delays not a problem at all.

You’ll have to judge your risk tolerance for delays yourself. Since it’s July any delays would likely be fully DL’s fault and you’d get a hotel paid for, but would arrive a day late.

Unless you’re landing and going to something critical within 24hrs I would be fine booking it.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These sorts of questions are impossible to answer. The connection is within MCT and therefore "legal". That is not an issue. What is at issue is the consequence to you of a misconnect.

A delay of any significance means a misconnect and there is hardly hourly service to AMS and reroutes will involve inconvenient routings, possibly not in D1 for the TATL hop.

Thus, comes down to your risk tolerance. What if you lose a day in AMS? Is it downtime or something special or work-related where being late is not acceptable? If so, book an earlier flight to PDX or use another routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.