Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor on time performance of SEA=>HKG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Poor on time performance of SEA=>HKG

Planning SEA-HKG roundtrip. Looked at last week's performance of SEA=>HKG and it does not look great; 1 cancelation, 1 on time and rest is about 1-2 hours late. Is it normal for this route? The A330 overnights in Hong Kong before going back and does not have connecting pax, so maybe DL just does not care that much if HKG departure is late and swapping all mechanicals on SEA=>AMS/CDG with HKG?

I have not seen a spare A330 in Seattle, so if one is out, it's either AMS, CDG or HKG, right? 767s used on other Asian routes seem to get more rotation with JFK and ATL flights.

If this is typical for this route, maybe I should just connect in YVR on AC or CX? True PE from YVR cost just slightly more than Y from SEA on DL.

Last edited by AntonS; Nov 11, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta, UA
If PE is close the price as Y, I'd definitely connect in YVR for that regardless of on-time performance considerations.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the HKG flight the last of the A330s to leave SEA (or nearby airports, although this is unlikely as it's expensive to ferry a big airplane) at night? If so, it would be a likely aircraft to swap when there's a problem. DL changes aircraft, hoping that the sick A330 can be made well in time for the last departure.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Unexpected headwinds?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the HKG flight the last of the A330s to leave SEA (or nearby airports, although this is unlikely as it's expensive to ferry a big airplane) at night? If so, it would be a likely aircraft to swap when there's a problem. DL changes aircraft, hoping that the sick A330 can be made well in time for the last departure.
It's a daytime departure, though I don't know if it's the last A330 to leave SEA.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
It's a daytime departure, though I don't know if it's the last A330 to leave SEA.
All A330 SEA departures are pretty close and and HKG is last:

SEA-AMS 12:18 pm
SEA-CDG 1:35 pm
SEA-HKG 1:46 pm

I think the reason behind swapping AMS/CDG mechanical with HKG may not be just because HKG is last, but because cost of HKG delay is much smaller:

- Aircraft sits in HKG for 16 hours before turning back to SEA
- No or very few pax with onward connections from HKG (HKG is not a partner hub and flight arrives late for most connections anyway)

Whereas AMS/CDG: lots of connections and relatively short turnarounds.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
As a DL38/39 regular I find that week's delay odd as I had always been early into HKG.

Cancelation would throw the rotation schedule off. Other reason is headwind the the Asia side of the Pacific. Also it is the first week after DST change in US and Canada while other parts of the world stays put.

Last edited by tentseller; Nov 12, 2017 at 5:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.