Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International to International at JFK Terminal 4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but a search turned up nothing.

I am flying CUN-JFK-YUL.

In New York, will I need to retrieve my checked bag at customs? The airport's website suggests I will, but I was surprised at this since my connection is to an international destination.

Also, is there a TSA Pre Check line after customs? Somehow I doubt it, but I was hoping to get lucky.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Deleted

Last edited by javabytes; Nov 7, 2017 at 10:10 am Reason: It's been too long since I've done this, and I may not remember correctly. Don't want to lead OP astray.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes you will have to get your bag after going through passport control before leaving customs, as you are entering the US (even though only connecting). There is then a bag re-check to the left after leaving customs/security

Yes there is a precheck after customs, although sometimes I've seen the lane not open. If thats the case I suggest going upstairs to the main T4 check in area.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that information. Our flight was originally through DTW and the DTW airport website said that passengers connecting to an international flight did not have to collect their checked bags.

On the other hand, DTW did not have a TSA Pre Check lane after customs. That's more than a fair trade.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by kilarney
Thanks for that information. Our flight was originally through DTW and the DTW airport website said that passengers connecting to an international flight did not have to collect their checked bags.

On the other hand, DTW did not have a TSA Pre Check lane after customs. That's more than a fair trade.
The DTW website says that international connecting passengers do not have to “claim” their checked bags. This is misleading, as you still have to collect and recheck your bags to pass through customs. This is the procedure for all international arrivals in the US, unless coming from an airport (such as several Canadian airports or DUB) that has a US immigration and customs facility.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
The DTW website says that international connecting passengers do not have to “claim” their checked bags. This is misleading, as you still have to collect and recheck your bags to pass through customs. This is the procedure for all international arrivals in the US, unless coming from an airport (such as several Canadian airports or DUB) that has a US immigration and customs facility.
Actually there are a few US airports that have ITI transfers available where you don't have to reclaim your bags on an international-international connection. You still have to clear immigration though. I know that DFW, MIA, ATL, and IAH participate and it sounds like DTW does as well. JFK does not. So in this case the airport makes the difference.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
That's no longer true at some U.S. airports. In some cases, baggage on international-to-international connections can be checked through to the final destination, and bypass U.S. Customs inspection.

http://www.miami-airport.com/flight_connections.asp
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by wrp96
Actually there are a few US airports that have ITI transfers available where you don't have to reclaim your bags on an international-international connection. You still have to clear immigration though. I know that DFW, MIA, ATL, and IAH participate and it sounds like DTW does as well. JFK does not. So in this case the airport makes the difference.
Originally Posted by guv1976
That's no longer true at some U.S. airports. In some cases, baggage on international-to-international connections can be checked through to the final destination, and bypass U.S. Customs inspection.

http://www.miami-airport.com/flight_connections.asp
Glad to know this. Thanks for correcting my misinformation! So does this mean that some international visitors bypass customs entirely? There is no mechanism that makes them go through it at their final destination?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:27 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Glad to know this. Thanks for correcting my misinformation! So does this mean that some international visitors bypass customs entirely? There is no mechanism that makes them go through it at their final destination?
Passengers are still subject to the CBP process but the luggage doesn't need to be claimed and re-checked (they may have to visually identify their luggage on the CBP officer's computer, but I don't know for sure). Since US airports don't have genuine transit areas the passenger still needs to be processed as an entry into the US as they could simply walk out of the terminal once they have been processed by CBP.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

So just to be clear, at JFK you still must collect your checked bag even if you are connecting to an international flight?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:46 pm

Yes, you will go through immigration, get your bag and walk past customs. You then leave the baggage hall ( at this point you are in the US, and there is nothing to stop you from leaving the terminal and going anywhere you want) after you leave the hall you turn left and Delta has a place to hand your bag back in. You then go back through TSA security.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Of course there is! They'll be arriving at their final destination as an international arrival on a flight from the U.S. So whatever country their final destination is in, they will have to clear that country's customs.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
ITI and CBP bag check

Airport with ITI transit you do not have to get your bags, take it through customs and recheck.

However, the bags are sometimes scanned; as I was waiting for a colleague at DTW intl baggage claim, saw my ITI tagged bag pulled off the conveyor watched by a uniformed CBP officer. Same officer also directed some bags onto a different cart.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:23 pm

the only (non pre cleared) intl to intl transfer in the US that allows airside transit without immigrations is NZ AKL-LAX-LHR and its return

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.