Wiki Posts
Search

DL spare LHR slots...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold
DL spare LHR slots...

Just been having a read on airlineroute that ATL-LHR is being reduced from 3 to 2 daily for S18 and presumably beyond. It looks like it's the DL28/29 rotation that will be ending.

Apart from the changes to JFK-LHR (one DL service moving to VS), I've not seen any new routes to/from LHR for Delta.

This along with the ending of PHL-LHR makes me wonder if Delta now have two sets of Heathrow slots at their disposal.

Have I missed some other news (apologies if I have) or are these yet to be filled? I didn't see any mention in the new routes that were announced a month or so ago.

On a side note - I assume there's been no more mumbles of the DTW-MAN that was slated to be announced last year?

Edit: I've just realised there's also the slots purchased from Croatia Airlines earlier in the year that haven't been filled - I think?

Last edited by SlimpyJones; Nov 6, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:24 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
A while back, DL was planning on flying LHR-ORD in the winter season, with VS flying the summer.

Since then, VS has pulled out of ORD, and I believe that DL is still flying to CDG seasonally.

I could see DL personally trying more secondary cities... STL sized for example. Might be interesting to see if that works for them.

I'm not sure if they have the slots tho, some others might have that answer.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead

I could see DL personally trying more secondary cities... STL sized for example. Might be interesting to see if that works for them.
To LHR? I doubt it. Without connection feeders on either end, you need a really big market to make it worth burning a LHR slot. AMS/CDG are possibilities.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Was Nashville getting one of those slots?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Was Nashville getting one of those slots?
It's British Airways that is coming to Nashville.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If they *don't* just add service to an existing route (BOS being the likely candidate I assume), the most logical choices that come to mind are:

RDU (selfishly I hope we get one)
IND
MCO
PIT?
AUS?
CMH?

One benefit for RDU / IND / CMH / PIT is I believe all can be done with 752s. The top 4 all have CDG or AMS flights so it's not a huge stretch if they get enough local business support to add LHR. That being said at least for RDU it means going head to head on pure O&D with AA on a route that AA has owned for 20+ years in addition to having BA for connections on the other side.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:10 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Has VS added any service lately? I wouldn't be surprised if DL and VS are effectively "pooling" slots these days.

That said, it's not as though VS has a whole bunch of planes sitting around elsewhere that could be shifted to LHR, either (like Delta does), so there's not a ton of scope for VS to suddenly ramp up operations.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
VS has pulled out of ORD, and I believe that DL is still flying to CDG seasonally.
Wow, didn't realize that VS dropped ORD. That's really too bad as their product was the best on the route. I'll swim before I'll fly BA or UA and AA is just "fine."

I have to say, I am not sure what the DL/VS strategy is for LHR. It does me no good traveling from the US to Europe unless I am going to LHR.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
If they *don't* just add service to an existing route (BOS being the likely candidate I assume), the most logical choices that come to mind are:

RDU (selfishly I hope we get one)
IND
MCO
PIT?
AUS?
CMH?

One benefit for RDU / IND / CMH / PIT is I believe all can be done with 752s.
I don't think they will try IND for now given that CDG hasn't actually started yet and the airport would have preferred London all along.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I have to say, I am not sure what the DL/VS strategy is for LHR. It does me no good traveling from the US to Europe unless I am going to LHR.
DL has AMS and CDG to get you to Europe (both of which IMO are superior transit points than LHR). LHR is about O&D, or at least US-London. This may change slightly under the new JV arrangement, but at the end of the day AF and KL aren't going to provide the comprehensive European network out of LHR that VS can't.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Maybe they can give the slots to VS and they can move some of their LGW-USA flights to LHR. BA already flies LHR-LAS, and VS would be more competitive if their flight also left from LHR and not LGW. LGW-MCO could also be shifted over. Or they could sell/lease the slots to a fellow SkyTeam partner. MU only serves PVG from LHR... getting their other hubs London flights with KMG/XIY-LHR could be possible. TAO-LHR wouldn't be an option, as JD is starting that route in a few months. Or LATAM could start another LHR route, as they only fly GRU-LHR at the moment. SCL-LHR to compete with BA?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:17 pm

I've not done it, but the idea of TATL in the back of a 757 makes me shudder. That just sounds awful. I'd much rather connect in ATL or DTW/MSP and catch a 767 or better.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:38 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
To LHR? I doubt it. Without connection feeders on either end, you need a really big market to make it worth burning a LHR slot. AMS/CDG are possibilities.
I agree but one can dream.

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Wow, didn't realize that VS dropped ORD. That's really too bad as their product was the best on the route. I'll swim before I'll fly BA or UA and AA is just "fine."

Happened in the summer. Came as a shock to us working with CDA, but I heard they moved the aircraft to a second daily LAX. Just wasn't really working well for them.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
If DL were to add a new destination instead of using it for an additional frequency I'm guessing it would be CVG. It's their only hub without a LHR flight. They have to have some feed on at least one end of the flight.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
The BOS slot reverts back to AA soon IIRC. Pretty sure DL will use that slot to keep BOS-LHR going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.