Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC - New policy for paid First?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Wrong rule. As has been discussed, only need a seat, not same fare class if on a FC ticket.

Was your ticket soley domestic or did you have international flights also?
domestic. We flew from KOA to LAX in F on miles (separate ticket) which is why I booked a longish layover at LAX. LAX to JFK was on a separate ticket in paid D1. Im pregnant and was so tired from traveling and we were hoping to grab one of the 3 earlier flights home if possible but instead ended up super delayed. Not great.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by floridagal23
domestic. We flew from KOA to LAX in F on miles (separate ticket) which is why I booked a longish layover at LAX. LAX to JFK was on a separate ticket in paid D1. Im pregnant and was so tired from traveling and we were hoping to grab one of the 3 earlier flights home if possible but instead ended up super delayed. Not great.
I almost missed my ATL-HNL leg because of a bad delay recently and DL agents told me that they no longer have agreements with other airlines so if I were to miss my flight, they could only refund my money or rebook me in Coach which I thought was odd.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by fly747first
I almost missed my ATL-HNL leg because of a bad delay recently and DL agents told me that they no longer have agreements with other airlines so if I were to miss my flight, they could only refund my money or rebook me in Coach which I thought was odd.
Our flights from KOA to LAX and LAX to JFK were both Delta sold and Delta operated. We booked KOA to LAX with miles and arrived on time. We specifically planned a long layover because we booked on separate tickets and were prepared to wait in case we were delayed but we were told Delta would *likely* accommodate us if we missed the second. We were trying to SDC to an earlier flight once we arrived at the layover point.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
20 years.

Nothing new and not ATL specific. The GIDS and the app made it much more apparent when it happened but it always has.

I disagree but to each his own. It sure as hell beats the hell out of the main hubs for UA and AA.

Pretty much this has been FlyerTalk all along. Whine about how much better it used to be even when it wasn't. Nearly every change Delta (and other airlines) have made has been whined about here....even if they later like them. People even whined the GIDS themselves.
Speaking of the GIDS, it would be nice if the gate agents actually used them. I can't tell you how many times I have walked up to the gate after boarding has started and have no idea what zone is currently boarding. Delta employees used to religiously use the GIDS and automated announcements and it worked pretty much perfectly. It's sad that they won't use the resources available to them.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
People even whined the GIDS themselves.
I 100% believe this but I'm having trouble imagining what exactly people would have found to complain about.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
On a slightly unrelated note, it appears there has also been a change for GM/PM/DM with paid F tickets whom want to SDC and have a spouse/companion travelling with them in the same PNR.

I did SDC on an ORD-MSP flight and the agent said my SDC fee of $75 would be waived, but my partner on same PNR would have to pay. They said that only the GM/PM/DM member gets their SDC fee waived, and that benefit does NOT apply to anyone else in the PNR unless they also are GM+

I spoke to 3 different agents, none would waive the fee, so I ended up paying it.

Maybe I just got "lucky" in the past but I never had to pay the SDC fee for my partner when they had an F ticket on same PNR as me.

Another "enhancement"?

There is nothing explicit I can find online that indicates the benefit extends to others in your PNR (unlike bag waiver benefit, or preferred seating benefit, which is specifically identified as being extended to 6/8 number of companions in your PNR)
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SamuelS
On a slightly unrelated note, it appears there has also been a change for GM/PM/DM with paid F tickets whom want to SDC and have a spouse/companion travelling with them in the same PNR.

I did SDC on an ORD-MSP flight and the agent said my SDC fee of $75 would be waived, but my partner on same PNR would have to pay. They said that only the GM/PM/DM member gets their SDC fee waived, and that benefit does NOT apply to anyone else in the PNR unless they also are GM+

I spoke to 3 different agents, none would waive the fee, so I ended up paying it.

Maybe I just got "lucky" in the past but I never had to pay the SDC fee for my partner when they had an F ticket on same PNR as me.

Another "enhancement"?

There is nothing explicit I can find online that indicates the benefit extends to others in your PNR (unlike bag waiver benefit, or preferred seating benefit, which is specifically identified as being extended to 6/8 number of companions in your PNR)
Waived fees for SDC never applied to anyone else in the same PNR in recent memory. Have agents done it for me as a gesture of goodwill? Absolutely.

But I have also had agents ask for it and I've always paid when they ask for my companion, even as DM. It stinks because AA does waive it for a companion in the same PNR as EP. Given you are a GM I would never expect the waiver on the phone.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah SDC fee waiver is only for the individual, not others in the same PNR. You must've been lucky with them waiving it.
I'd think they probably waive it for a DL360's companion if they aren't GM, but thats it.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah SDC fee waiver is only for the individual, not others in the same PNR. You must've been lucky with them waiving it.
I'd think they probably waive it for a DL360's companion if they aren't GM, but thats it.
I've had it waived once for my wife and that was due to extenuating circumstances. This fee is one of the few ways we are able to use her $200 Amex Plat fee waiver, since she never pays bag fees, etc. when traveling with me.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
How long have you been flying thru ATL as a Medallion on DL? In the last 6 years since I have, I have noticed a marked decline.

ACS agents were stellar across the board. They were the model hub. They always were friendly, went above and beyond, knew the rules and even made exceptions when appropriate, and always thanked us for our Medallion status.

Some of these good employees are still left. But I would say its not 50/50 if you get an ACS agent that knows the rules, let alone goes above and beyond. I can't remember the last time this year - whether checking in at SKY, dropping bags, entering a SkyClub, or boarding a flight in ATL - that I have been thanked for my status. Delta still asks on the surveys if the employee did this, so clearly it is still part of their training and they just aren't performing.

I had an ATL-RDU-PHL flight earlier this year; 35 min connection in RDU, and ATL-RDU was delayed by more than 35 minutes. So clearly I would misconnect. It should have been easy for the SkyClub agent to rebook me ATL-PHL - after 10 minutes she couldn't. She sent me running to the gate and told me to call the DM line en route. Luckily I had an excellent phone agent who had my ticket reissued just as I ran up to the gate. But that was completely unnecessary - why are their agents in their worldwide hub who cannot perform a simple rebooking of a domestic IRROP ticket?! The phone agent commented that whatever the SkyClub agent did convoluted things and made it even MORE challenging for the phone agent to complete my rebooking.

DMs have talked about multiple instances of SHENA and standby lists happening in ATL. Years ago, the mouths kf even regular GAs would drop with these kinds of unacceptable behaviors. Now, it happens often enough where they just shrug it off.

ATL used to be the model hub but, compared to its standard years ago, its just not that anymore. And its sad.
I have said it once, and I will say it again. ATL (where you expect the best employees to be) has the WORST!!!!!!!

Source? I live in ATL so 50% of my flights I am there
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
That is an enhancement!!!

DL does NOT want you experiencing other terrible cabins on other airlines as DL is THE premium cabin in the sky!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahaha
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Waived fees for SDC never applied to anyone else in the same PNR in recent memory. Have agents done it for me as a gesture of goodwill? Absolutely.

But I have also had agents ask for it and I've always paid when they ask for my companion, even as DM. It stinks because AA does waive it for a companion in the same PNR as EP. Given you are a GM I would never expect the waiver on the phone.
Thanks for the heads up! I mostly travel on DL solo and use SDC a lot, but this was the first time in a while I've used SDC on DL with a companion traveling with me in same PNR. On AS, I've SDC'd with companion before and never been charged and I incorrectly assumed it was similar situation at DL - but good to know that the official policy is that the fee is waived for the GM/PM/DM member only and not any companions.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I have said it once, and I will say it again. ATL (where you expect the best employees to be) has the WORST!!!!!!!

Source? I live in ATL so 50% of my flights I am there

Agreed. I have only been seriously furious at Delta once, a completely avoidable situation caused by a GA in ATL that wouldn't listen to me. Most GA in ATL treat you like an inconvenience. I assumed it was because I wasn't PM or DM. Seems like that isn't the case based on some comments here.

Vast majority of my flights connect through ATL. 2 weeks ago I distinctly remember boarding and thinking, wow GA was nice today, how refreshing.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've been told the same thing but on pushing back (on a FC ticket) they did offer to put me on the next flight that had FC available, which, due to weather delays, wasn't until the next morning. If you are in FC, they should be able to do the same for you and then you can decide if the delay is worth the FC seat, or if you'd rather get home sooner (in coach) and probably get a few bucks back on the fare difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.