Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Bump and a Broken Promise...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would first write a short, to the point email to DL. Ask for additional compensation because of the broken promise to fly you out that night.

If they refuse, complain to DOT. Once this happens DL is very likely to give something. If not let DOT hammer DL.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

OP Here ...

First, I really appreciate the feedback from everyone, as it gives me ideas on what I should have perhaps done differently, as well as what I might want to think about moving forward.

A few follow-up points for those offering perspectives …
  • I attended my meeting via teleconference, so all turned out fine
  • I’m self-employed, so any costs I bear personally
  • I inquired about booking me on another airline, but the Redcoat said she could not help me, I would need to use the black phones in the terminal to make the request
  • By the time all of this happened, it was 9:30 at night, so alternative routing options were limited, plus I was tired and knew if I traveled via an alternate carrier or to another NY airport getting my luggage in time for my meeting would be extremely challenging

The Redcoat called me to follow-up while I was driving home (which I appreciated). She explained this situation as this:
  • The alternative flight she offered showed wide open before she came on the plane to ask for volunteers
  • But, once we were off the plane, the system would not allow her to put anyone on the alternative flight as confirmed
  • At that point, she couldn’t get us moved ahead of the standbys and the other folks who were delayed as a result of the issues throughout the day
  • They also tried, but could not get a hold of anyone who had more power to prioritize us
  • She indicated that this had never happened to her before

Hopefully, that gives a bit more clarity to the circumstances.
Seabilly and spamkiller like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Although it didn't work out for OP, the reason behind gate control is that it centralizes control of the flight in one place. If all of this ocurred at after T-30, this is the time when the other GA is getting ready to process UG's, standbys and to close the flight for an on time push. OP's Redcoat could have called the other gate and asked whether it was possible to add OP, but the Redcoat could likely see that it just was not going to work. A good move to take the hit rather than fob it off on some other colleague at another gate as many would.

As to overbooking, Redcoats are first tier supervisors. Also doubtful that RM would authorize overbooking when there is already a SB list which perhaps contained other IRROP or IDB/VDB pax from other flights.

As to the wisdom of all of this, some employers would look at this as a really bad thing. If this was an important meeting, the consequences could be quite serious.

I also think that with VDB payments moving into the stratosphere, the IRS will start taking notice and treat payments which are retained by the employee as income when the ticket is paid or reimbursed by the employer.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Often1

I also think that with VDB payments moving into the stratosphere, the IRS will start taking notice and treat payments which are retained by the employee as income when the ticket is paid or reimbursed by the employer.
This, I doubt. They haven't come after things like SkyPesos, choice benefits value, upgrades... if all of my tickets are paid for by my employer then all of those perks should then also be taxable income by that argument.

Also, it's really hard to track this. Work-related tickets are sometimes paid for on a personal credit card, then reimbursed in a non-itemized deposit. How would they know that it's reimbursed without an extensive audit of an employer's expense system? And, it's possible that it was *my* time that was given up (say on the way home), non-billable time, so is that really taxable if I choose to accept a gift in exchange for my time, but not taxable if someone else does just because they paid for their ticket and were not reimbursed?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Auston
OP Here ...

First, I really appreciate the feedback from everyone, as it gives me ideas on what I should have perhaps done differently, as well as what I might want to think about moving forward.

A few follow-up points for those offering perspectives …
  • I attended my meeting via teleconference, so all turned out fine
  • I’m self-employed, so any costs I bear personally
  • I inquired about booking me on another airline, but the Redcoat said she could not help me, I would need to use the black phones in the terminal to make the request
  • By the time all of this happened, it was 9:30 at night, so alternative routing options were limited, plus I was tired and knew if I traveled via an alternate carrier or to another NY airport getting my luggage in time for my meeting would be extremely challenging

The Redcoat called me to follow-up while I was driving home (which I appreciated). She explained this situation as this:
  • The alternative flight she offered showed wide open before she came on the plane to ask for volunteers
  • But, once we were off the plane, the system would not allow her to put anyone on the alternative flight as confirmed
  • At that point, she couldn’t get us moved ahead of the standbys and the other folks who were delayed as a result of the issues throughout the day
  • They also tried, but could not get a hold of anyone who had more power to prioritize us
  • She indicated that this had never happened to her before

Hopefully, that gives a bit more clarity to the circumstances.
Thank you for the updates. I cannot believe this Red Coat tried to send you to black phones in the terminal for rebooking on OAL - that is her responsibility. Her lack of knowledge on that would have made me escalate.

A PL and definitely the Station Manager would easily have fixed this. PLs have told me to board a flight before and they would fix my ticket in the air ( I didn't have a boarding pass when I got on). The SM in BOS randomly ran into me, and when a service failure came up, he took my info and processed advance upgrades for me as a gesture. Very nice of him, and shows how much power they have at their own station, at a minimum.

Hopefully the Red Coat, at a minimum, learns to hold space prior to making such offers, when flights are otherwise full and weather is bad.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kitkat77
This, I doubt. They haven't come after things like SkyPesos, choice benefits value, upgrades... if all of my tickets are paid for by my employer then all of those perks should then also be taxable income by that argument.

Also, it's really hard to track this. Work-related tickets are sometimes paid for on a personal credit card, then reimbursed in a non-itemized deposit. How would they know that it's reimbursed without an extensive audit of an employer's expense system? And, it's possible that it was *my* time that was given up (say on the way home), non-billable time, so is that really taxable if I choose to accept a gift in exchange for my time, but not taxable if someone else does just because they paid for their ticket and were not reimbursed?
Completely agree. I have had state government clients that have written in their operating procedures that all miles earned by employees are property of the state. The client admitted that they didn't know the last time the state used miles to buy a ticket - if ever - for employee travel. Also mentioned that employees keep the miles without issue.

The IRS has much bigger fish to fry then parsing VDB payments, come on!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

Hopefully the Red Coat, at a minimum, learns to hold space prior to making such offers, when flights are otherwise full and weather is bad.
I would have hoped that a Red Coat already knew this.

Heck, I offered up my seat last week and the GA immediately preemptively booked me on the next flight (showed up in my app before I sat back down). Even though I was told to board, and did, he didn't release it until we were taxiing for takeoff.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I would have hoped that a Red Coat already knew this.

Heck, I offered up my seat last week and the GA immediately preemptively booked me on the next flight (showed up in my app before I sat back down). Even though I was told to board, and did, he didn't release it until we were taxiing for takeoff.
However they had a passenger name to hold one for in your case. In OP case, the RC didn't know who would be willing to volunteer to place holds for.
fti likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However they had a passenger name to hold one for in your case. In OP case, the RC didn't know who would be willing to volunteer to place holds for.
True.

OP has given food for thought though. I think in the future, assuming it was important (like same-day vs overnight), I'd want to see the new BP before I'd be willing to give up my seat.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Here’s what happened to me late last night.

Flying from DTW to EWR. Flights delayed all day, including mine. Finally boarded for takeoff 3.5 hours after original departure time. Just before pushback, a Redcoat came on board and made an announcement that the pilot informed her we were critically overweight (CRJ-700), and they needed 3 volunteers to immediately deplane. We would be accommodated on the next flight to EWR, which was only leaving 30 minutes later (due to all the delays). In exchange, we would receive $1,000 Delta dollars.

I sprung up and volunteered. After all, what was 30 more minutes of my time?

So, 3 of us make our way back to the gate area and the Redcoat begins to work feverishly on our rebooking and vouchers. After about 15 minutes, she calls us up to the counter. Unfortunately, “the system” will not allow her to rebook us on the EWR flight she promised, and the standby list is full. I say fine, put me back on my original flight then, as I needed to travel that evening to make my morning meetings. No go, as the jet bridge has pushed back. There is nothing she can do. She was very apologetic.

Needless to say, we were agitated and perturbed. Attempts to route us to other NYC airports were futile, so I ended up going back home and calling it a night.

Delta is refunding my ticket (as there is no reason for me to travel any longer since I’ll miss the meeting) and I have my grand in Delta bucks.

So, here are my questions for the experts …

1 – If presented the same situation would you have volunteered?

2 – Should I be satisfied with my compensation, or should I pursue more (FYI, I also incurred a 1-night hotel cancellation penalty)?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thanks.
I absolutely would not have volunteered... I said this in another thread where someone asked if people hope for issues so they can be compensated... Doing my job is infinitely more important than a few dollars...

I hope your boss is more understanding than I would be... Good luck.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by kb9522
I hope your boss is more understanding than I would be... Good luck.
The boss completely understood the entire situation.
I attended my meeting via teleconference, so all turned out fine
I’m self-employed, so any costs I bear personally
DiverDave, fti and Seabilly like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Howste
Never know. Split personalities
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Never know. Split personalities
Actually when I was self-employed, my wife was really the boss I had to answer to.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Howste
D'oh. Serves me right for not reading thoroughly.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
For 30 mins I would of taken the $1000. Seems a big amount for what was supposed to be 30 mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.