Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any success using GUCs for Delta One Suites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM

There was another discussion on how difficult it is/going to be. Just wondering if anyone has been successful getting the GUC upgrade to D1 Suites either in advance or at the gate. If successful, were you in regular economy or in Premium Select?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I have a flight in a few days. Currently D1 is sold out, so I am waitlisted. Trying to decide if I will pull the GUC and apply it to PE.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
I have a flight in a few days. Currently D1 is sold out, so I am waitlisted. Trying to decide if I will pull the GUC and apply it to PE.
Oh, you can specify which cabin to apply your GUC to? That's really good to know. There's been confusion as how the GUC process works for A350s.
Anyway, that's a tough choice. Good luck and I hope you receive your upgrade!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I was waitlisted for D1S and it cleared a few days ago. Returning from NRT over Xmas and can't wait to check out the new product.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
Oh, you can specify which cabin to apply your GUC to? That's really good to know. There's been confusion as how the GUC process works for A350s.
Anyway, that's a tough choice. Good luck and I hope you receive your upgrade!
Yeah you have to specify and some phone agents may say its not allowed and you will have to ask for a supervisor. You pick for the GUC to either go from Main Cabin to PE, Main Cabin to D1, or PE to D1.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah you have to specify and some phone agents may say its not allowed and you will have to ask for a supervisor. You pick for the GUC to either go from Main Cabin to PE, Main Cabin to D1, or PE to D1.
The important thing to note is that the same GUC cannot take you from coach to PE and THEN from PE to D1.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arthurhs
I was waitlisted for D1S and it cleared a few days ago. Returning from NRT over Xmas and can't wait to check out the new product.
That's excellent! I'm sure you'll have a great experience. Were you upgraded from economy or Premium Select?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The important thing to note is that the same GUC cannot take you from coach to PE and THEN from PE to D1.
Additionally, if you're flying a route like DTW-NRT-MNL which uses an A350 for the first leg and a 767 for the second part you have to be careful with a GUC. If you use a GUC to go from Main Cabin to PE for DTW-NRT, you can't use the same GUC to go from Main Cabin to D1 for NRT-MNL.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Maybe two weeks ago I bought a D1 ticket OKC-HKG. I could have flown the 350 from CTW to ICN or PVG but I do not find the product so compelling to deal with connecting in ICN or PVG to get to HKG.

I did try to upgrade with SMs on OKC-SLC-SEA-HKG (Sept 2018) and return (the same route) but no upgrades for SEA-HKG-SEA which made me think that HKG is now being treated like SYD and JNB in part because one can fly the 350 to HKG now.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Additionally, if you're flying a route like DTW-NRT-MNL which uses an A350 for the first leg and a 767 for the second part you have to be careful with a GUC. If you use a GUC to go from Main Cabin to PE for DTW-NRT, you can't use the same GUC to go from Main Cabin to D1 for NRT-MNL.
Wait, why can't you use the same GUC when its the same trip? You're supposed to be able to use the same one for multiple segments, provided you don't have any stops >24hrs for international.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Wait, why can't you use the same GUC when its the same trip? You're supposed to be able to use the same one for multiple segments, provided you don't have any stops >24hrs for international.
Because the 767 doesn't have Premium Economy. You can't use a GUC to go from Main Cabin to Premium Economy on the first leg of a trip and the same GUC to go from Main Cabin to D1 on the second flight of the same trip.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rylan
Probably because the 2nd flight lacks PS - so it has to be an apples to apples upgrade on all flights. Because flight #2 just has D1, the first flight upgrade request must be to D1 too...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow now thats really crappy if agents are saying you can't upgrade the 2nd leg on a tpac where the first is a 350. I'd definitely push back on that.

Otherwise it breaks all of the DTW-NRT-xxx routes, and whatever else will have onward connections with the 350.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:57 pm

So this is interesting. This morning I went to check-in for my flight and my name is on the upgrade list for both Premium Economy and Delta One Suite.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

In your case, that's great since you said D1 was sold out and you were considering using your GUC on PS. If this happens to someone specifying D1 waitlist only, that could really suck if they get PS and not D1.

Good luck on getting D1 (often one or two passengers cancel D1 last minute or they miss their connection)! Let us know what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.