Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earnings Confusion on DL-Ticketed, KLM-Marketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium

I have a flight from LAX-AMS-JNB with a KLM flight number (in Z class).

It is Delta-ticketed (006).

Since I'm crediting to Skymiles, would the miles be based on ticket price like any other DL flight?

Also, would MQMs be miles flown plus class-of-service bonus?

I'm a DM.

I'm not generally this confused but I wasn't certain looking at the charts. I'm flying in next January.

Help!

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
I have a flight from LAX-AMS-JNB with a KLM flight number (in Z class).

It is Delta-ticketed (006).

Since I'm crediting to Skymiles, would the miles be based on ticket price like any other DL flight?

Also, would MQMs be miles flown plus class-of-service bonus?

I'm a DM.

I'm not generally this confused but I wasn't certain looking at the charts. I'm flying in next January.

Help!

Thanks!
Are the flights KL or DL coded? Flights after Jan 1 earn at a different setup l, based solely on how the flight is coded.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Are the flights KL or DL coded? Flights after Jan 1 earn at a different setup l, based solely on how the flight is coded.
OP said KL flight numbers so they would be KL coded. KL Z fares earn 100% miles plus 50% class of service MQM's (just like DL coded Z fares). Since your flights are after Jan 1, you should earn RDM's based on miles (rather than ticket cost -- ticketing carrier no longer matters after Jan 1) at 100% base mileage plus 100% class of service bonus plus 120% DM bonus (on base). MQD's will be earned as 40% of base mileage.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
OP said KL flight numbers so they would be KL coded. KL Z fares earn 100% miles plus 50% class of service MQM's (just like DL coded Z fares). Since your flights are after Jan 1, you should earn RDM's based on miles (rather than ticket cost -- ticketing carrier no longer matters after Jan 1) at 100% base mileage plus 100% class of service bonus plus 120% DM bonus (on base). MQD's will be earned as 40% of base mileage.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Thanks for the catch. Brain fart. Misread the KLM marketed part.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:10 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
While the disclaimer about 006 ticket stock has been removed from the KLM partner page, it is now a catchall on the partner earning landing page:

Not sure which airline is the marketing or ticketing carrier for your flight? The marketing carrier is determined by the two letter airline code in the flight number. For example, DL2368 is marketed by Delta Air Lines and follows the SkyMiles earning rules. However, VS18 is marketed by Virgin Atlantic and would follow the Virgin Atlantic chart. A Delta-ticketed flight features a ticket number that begins with “006”. Any flight purchased through delta.com will be ticketed by Delta. Any partner flight that is not Delta-marketed or Delta-ticketed will earn according to the rules below.
I would interpret this as meaning that any flight numbers on 006 stock are purely revenue based. Any chance of a clarification, @SkyMilesTeam?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by C W
While the disclaimer about 006 ticket stock has been removed from the KLM partner page, it is now a catchall on the partner earning landing page:

I would interpret this as meaning that any flight numbers on 006 stock are purely revenue based. Any chance of a clarification, @SkyMilesTeam?
Well, I've been in the same boat. This thread has cleared up the confusion.
I think Delta had issued the new 2018 tables, but had not cleaned up all the notes. Thus I was sure I had read: "Flights marketed and ticketed by the partner..."

Whereas I just checked again now and finally for Air France (and KLM will be the same) is reads:
"3) Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid.
(4) Medallion Mileage Bonus is based on Base Miles earned: Diamond - 120%; Platinum - 80%; Gold - 60%; Silver - 40%"

So the ticketing airline and 006 stock now seems to make not the difference.

Thanks all for the help and clarification.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wxman22
I think Delta had issued the new 2018 tables, but had not cleaned up all the notes. Thus I was sure I had read: "Flights marketed and ticketed by the partner..."

Whereas I just checked again now and finally for Air France (and KLM will be the same) is reads:
"3) Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid.
(4) Medallion Mileage Bonus is based on Base Miles earned: Diamond - 120%; Platinum - 80%; Gold - 60%; Silver - 40%"

So the ticketing airline and 006 stock now seems to make not the difference.

Thanks all for the help and clarification.
Agreed. Also if you pull up the announcment on Delta.com it lays out that it is now determined strictly by Marketing of the flight w/o regard to ticket stock.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by wxman22
You were probably thinking of footnote 1, which as of right now still reads:

"Flights marketed and ticketed by partners may earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid."

Although hopefully as you said they just haven't cleaned up all the references yet.

As flyerCO notes, under Skymiles News & Updates the language under MEDALLION PROGRAM UPDATES > SKYMILES MEMBERS CAN EARN TOWARDS MEDALLION STATUS ON MORE PARTNER AIRLINES STARTING IN 2018 reflects the new structure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.