Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run to SIN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Run to SIN

Looks like I will need some extra trips to requalify for Diamond so was looking at SEA-SIN and found a W class fare 1st week of Dec for about $1k. Seems like a good deal for 16k MQMs. Couple of questions:

1) Is this a good ROI for 16k MQM, are there other suggestions from the group
2) What are the chances of using miles to upgrade to D1 for some/all of the segments or changes of an op-up?

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
1k for 16k MQM isnt really the best rate TBH. NYC-SIN can regularly be had for sub 1k (600-800 seems avg) which nets you 20k+. Ive done that run a couple times.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:01 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
W as in C+?

Why pay for it if you're requalifying for DM? You get C+ free.

Also, take a look at PDX as your gateway if you're willing to make your way there.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Not sure where you live, for some reason FLL-SIN seems to have some cheap ones and nets over 20K

Do you have any GUC's? Much better than using miles
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cmanc
Looks like I will need some extra trips to requalify for Diamond so was looking at SEA-SIN and found a W class fare 1st week of Dec for about $1k. Seems like a good deal for 16k MQMs. Couple of questions:

1) Is this a good ROI for 16k MQM, are there other suggestions from the group
2) What are the chances of using miles to upgrade to D1 for some/all of the segments or changes of an op-up?

Thanks
$1k for 16k MQM isn't a great ROI, but if you need the MQMs and don't have time for other runs, it's worth it perhaps.

I just did the run JFK-DTW-NRT-SIN. I was able to upgrade NRT-SIN both ways using miles, but had no luck on the DTW-NRT segment either direction. The GUC waitlist was 7-9 people long, I was told, and just a handful ended up clearing at the gate. As the mile-based upgrade list doesn't go to the gate, I never had a chance.

As far as an op-up, it's very doubtful. Do you have access to ExpertFlyer? In my case, Y (and other Econ) was 9+ all the way up to departure, whereas J (and similar) was 3-4 seats, which ended up going to GUC users.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
$1k for 16k MQM isn't a great ROI, but if you need the MQMs and don't have time for other runs, it's worth it perhaps.

I just did the run JFK-DTW-NRT-SIN. I was able to upgrade NRT-SIN both ways using miles, but had no luck on the DTW-NRT segment either direction. The GUC waitlist was 7-9 people long, I was told, and just a handful ended up clearing at the gate. As the mile-based upgrade list doesn't go to the gate, I never had a chance.

As far as an op-up, it's very doubtful. Do you have access to ExpertFlyer? In my case, Y (and other Econ) was 9+ all the way up to departure, whereas J (and similar) was 3-4 seats, which ended up going to GUC users.
What fare class did you book and how many miles was it to upgrade? Were you on a W fare or a K+ fare? Supposedly, Comfort+ W fares are mileage upgradeable, but I don't anyone has clarified if the underlying fare class matters or if the mileage amount varies with it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
What fare class did you book and how many miles was it to upgrade? Were you on a W fare or a K+ fare? Supposedly, Comfort+ W fares are mileage upgradeable, but I don't anyone has clarified if the underlying fare class matters or if the mileage amount varies with it.
The NEW W fares are mileage upgradeable. I was traveling pre-A350, in C+ (W), but my fare was an underlying T-fare under the W seating. So, to upgrade with miles, I had to pay to upfare my T-fare to a K. They were going to move me from C+ back to Main Cabin, also (if I didn't clear), until I pushed back on that.

It was 40k each way NRT-SIN from a K fare, once I upfared. Not cheap, but I needed the rest.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
The NEW W fares are mileage upgradeable. I was traveling pre-A350, in C+ (W), but my fare was an underlying T-fare under the W seating. So, to upgrade with miles, I had to pay to upfare my T-fare to a K. They were going to move me from C+ back to Main Cabin, also (if I didn't clear), until I pushed back on that.

It was 40k each way NRT-SIN from a K fare, once I upfared. Not cheap, but I needed the rest.
Ouch. NRT-SIN and vv is almost the middle of the night in each direction, but it's not real D1 service and tends to use a horrid 767. That's a lot of miles and money for a 767 seat and the horrible F&B served on this route.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ouch. NRT-SIN and vv is almost the middle of the night in each direction, but it's not real D1 service and tends to use a horrid 767. That's a lot of miles and money for a 767 seat and the horrible F&B served on this route.
But then you get a few hours to eat Singapore food, which is great even at the airport!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree. But on the outbound after flying JFK-DTW-NRT first and having plans on landing in SIN, sitting in the back wouldn't cut it. On the return, I was starting my day at DPS then going DPS-SIN-NRT-DTW-JFK. Needed all the help I could get.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I think people really need to stop and ask themselves if chasing status is really worth it. For me, if it happens then fine. I'm certainly not giving Delta any extra money. I'm GM and buy the GAP fares. The only benefit I get out of status is the free SDC that I seldom use. I say save yourself the money of a mileage run and the wear and tear on your body and just buy a sky club membership.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I think people really need to stop and ask themselves if chasing status is really worth it. For me, if it happens then fine. I'm certainly not giving Delta any extra money. I'm GM and buy the GAP fares. The only benefit I get out of status is the free SDC that I seldom use. I say save yourself the money of a mileage run and the wear and tear on your body and just buy a sky club membership.
Originally Posted by Taz
Currently in the C club in ATL and watching some skeevy old guy trying to impress/pick-up a 20 something woman by telling her all about his Medallion status. He just finished showing her his acct on his phone. Maybe not a true DYKWIA, but hilarious anyway. She’s being polite, but not biting.
It is worth it to someone!!!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
It is worth it to someone!!!
That is so sad. If my best attribute was my airline status I think I would call it quits.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:34 pm

Just did SEA-SIN roundtrip last week, the good part is the GUC applies the whole way, despite the stopover in NRT. I cleared to D1 inbound and outbound, which was a great use of two certs. And yes, it’s an old 767 which is not the best D1 product, but it beats economy.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That is so sad. If my best attribute was my airline status I think I would call it quits.
lol thanks for your opinion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.