Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Virgin Upper Class (G) downgraded to Delta Y question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Upper Class (G) downgraded to Delta Y question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
Right, for DL tickets, G = PE on VS. There's been a glitch for at least six months where PE states First or UC, even thought it's PE on VS.

VS PE fares are W/S/K/H.
This should be fixed now. As I posted recently in another thread, if it's showing up incorrectly it may need to be reticketed by DL.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
To clarify, original ticket was PE, but coded by Delta as G. Regardless, I am owed a refund.

Delta agreed to refund me for the downgrade, after a whole lot of back and forth (50 min on the phone with a testy supervisor). They tried every trick to stiff me: 'VS PE is equivalent to DL C+', 'Economy is economy', etc..... My take from the entire experience is that the system is decidedly set to take advantage of the little guy.

The promise to refund was verbal; I will follow-up with emails to DL and VS, just to be sure.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to claiming the EC261 compensation, you might want to report this issue to the USA DOT. Premium economy is not the same as C+ and certainly not the same as coach despite what the DL supervisor tried to say.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Did they offer to rebook you on another VS flight? That's pretty poor of DL if they refused to keep you on the product you booked.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Did they offer to rebook you on another VS flight? That's pretty poor of DL if they refused to keep you on the product you booked.
VS looks to have suspended their LHR-ATL non-stop for November and December with DL taking over their frequency for these two months. The frequency reverts back to VS in January. So if OP want's to fly VS PE between LHR and ATL (prior to January), it's going to require a connection. The swap may be related to VS's engine issues with it's 787's (DL was running a JFK-LHR frequency for them for awhile as well) --

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eed-engine-fix

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 3, 2017 at 9:12 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Interactions like this are why I'm going to start recording these sorts of customer service calls.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Interactions like this are why I'm going to start recording these sorts of customer service calls.
I'm behind this idea, but as a heads up just make sure you let them know beforehand. There are strict laws against recording conversations without prior consent. Wouldn't want that to backfire on you.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Just use the standard message "This call may be recorded for quality control and training purposes..."
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
I'd suggest it's also useful to do some investigation on your own to see what your options are prior to calling, and to see if there was a reason for a change. In this case, it appears that OP was unaware that VS has suspended this route temporarily and that was the reason he got switched to DL metal.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Just use the standard message "This call may be recorded for quality control and training purposes..."
While OT, if DL provides that recorded message, doesn't that give implied permission for the other side to record the call as well? I'm not a lawyer.
The laws about recording conversations are state-specific and do vary, though.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
I'd suggest it's also useful to do some investigation on your own to see what your options are prior to calling, and to see if there was a reason for a change. In this case, it appears that OP was unaware that VS has suspended this route temporarily and that was the reason he got switched to DL metal.
Yes, I was unaware of the suspension; actually reading about it for the first time here, but the flight was listed as operational when I booked it over a month ago (directly on DL website), with a premium price paid for a premium seat. At a minimum they should have provided an explanation for the switch and automatically provided acceptable options: reroute, compensation, upgrade (would be nice), etc. I got nada.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

And just to clarify, I am DL Platinum, and have been for a few year, so its not like I am some hit and run flier Delta shouldn't mind stiffing.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it seems that DL could have handled this better by notifying those impacted, your thread title falsely states that you had purchased a Virgin Upper Class seat when pretty clearly you did not. Maybe you didn't understand the difference Virgin Upper Class and Virgin Premium Economy, but this seems unlikely for a seasoned traveler.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
While it seems that DL could have handled this better by notifying those impacted, your thread title falsely states that you had purchased a Virgin Upper Class seat when pretty clearly you did not. Maybe you didn't understand the difference Virgin Upper Class and Virgin Premium Economy, but this seems unlikely for a seasoned traveler.
The ticket says "Upper Class", coded as G. Never flown VS before, so my assumption was that this is what they call their PE. If there's misleading info, it belongs to DL that sold me the ticket.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by Msafiritx
The ticket says "Upper Class", coded as G. Never flown VS before, so my assumption was that this is what they call their PE. If there's misleading info, it belongs to DL that sold me the ticket.

I have an upcoming trip on Virgin that I booked through Delta. I went back/forth to confirm that what I'd booked as 'Upper Class' (code G) is actually Premium Economy on Virgin Atlantic.

(I actually booked the entire trip as First/Business, so you can understand why I kept going back/forth with them to double check this was correct.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.