Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-SYD and onward question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
ATL-SYD and onward question

We are booking a FF ticket ATL-SYD, arriving from LAX at 6:20 AM and then flying on to New Zealand. Our best option for the next flight is a direct SYD-CHC flight on Air New Zealand at 9:15. Is this doable? Any chance Delta will check our bags all the way through? All of the later flights involve another stop/plane change, arriving hours later than the direct 9:15 flight. What would you do?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta, United
We recently flew in around a similar time with an int. transfer and had no time issues. So three hours should be fine. However, our bags were checked through (Delta may not check all the way through as Air New Zealand is not a partner airline). Those running the security were turd heads were the biggest issue. When my SO says something before me then there is an issue.

FWIW the new SYD international terminal sucks. One has to run the shopping gauntlet to get to the gates. Which was poorly signed. Further, we found a lack of places to sit down to get food (everything was take away). Supposedly there are places but we never found them because of a lack of signage.

BTW Be aware that if you book a separate ticket SYD-CHC and the LAX-SYD gets all cocked up you may be SOL in SYD as Air New Zealand may consider you a no show.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Depending on how much earlier or later the NZ flight to CHC is than any Virgin Australia options, I would look at Virgin Australia options. DL and VA are partners and you could through-check your bags to CHC, even if on separate tickets for ATL-LAX-SYD on DL and then SYD-CHC on VA.

If you still want to go the NZ route, know that you'll have to claim and then recheck bags with Air New Zeland so consider whether 3 hours is enough time to do that. I don't know if the SYD airport is set up so that you can do that without doing immigration/customs for Australia and whether or not you'd need to pay the Australia visa fee.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Depending on how much earlier or later the NZ flight to CHC is than any Virgin Australia options, I would look at Virgin Australia options. DL and VA are partners and you could through-check your bags to CHC, even if on separate tickets for ATL-LAX-SYD on DL and then SYD-CHC on VA.

If you still want to go the NZ route, know that you'll have to claim and then recheck bags with Air New Zeland so consider whether 3 hours is enough time to do that. I don't know if the SYD airport is set up so that you can do that without doing immigration/customs for Australia and whether or not you'd need to pay the Australia visa fee.
Most of the VA CHC flights are actually operated by NZ, I think one is actually operated by VA.

There is more than enough time to do an I-I transfer so timing should be fine, should there be no weather issues in SYD.

There are two wings to the international terminal and the main sit down places for food are actually pre-security, you can actually see that area when you head through the walkway between the airside wings.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I can purchase the Air New Zealand ticket through VA as a code share. Wonder if that would help get bags checked all the way through...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Most of the VA CHC flights are actually operated by NZ, I think one is actually operated by VA.

There is more than enough time to do an I-I transfer so timing should be fine, should there be no weather issues in SYD.

There are two wings to the international terminal and the main sit down places for food are actually pre-security, you can actually see that area when you head through the walkway between the airside wings.
Is 3 hours enough time doing I-I when on separate tickets? If everything runs ontine I imagine it'd be okay but factor in delays and it may be cutting it close. I guess it comes down to personal preference of what's acceptable risk but I personally wouldn't even do 3 hours for D-D on separate tickets unless it was the same airline. But that's my personal preference and everyone has their own risk tolerance.

Originally Posted by Debatl
I can purchase the Air New Zealand ticket through VA as a code share. Wonder if that would help get bags checked all the way through...
Knowing NZ and VA were partners I thought about that possibility but it'd only be speculation on my part on whether DL would recognize it as a codeshare versus actually being operated by VA and then balk at through checking the bags.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The bag will still get tagged as the operating flight carrier. However it may fool the DL agent enough into doing it.

Note that since your ticket ends in Australia, that DL will be in It's rights to insist on y'all having Australian ESTAs.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick answers. I can book FF ticket all the way through to CHC (for same #miles ) however, if I book via Sydney, only option is the 7 PM VA flight, meaning a 12 hr layover. If I book through Brisbane, it's 28,000 more miles per person. We have the miles, just can't decide if it's worth it or not. Also, for what it's worth, the LAX-BNE flight is on VA vs LAX-SYD on DL. Any differences for GM (could we book premium economy seats? I'm pretty sure we can on DL, correct?)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks so much for the quick answers. I can book FF ticket all the way through to CHC (for same #miles ) however, if I book via Sydney, only option is the 7 PM VA flight, meaning a 12 hr layover. If I book through Brisbane, it's 28,000 more miles per person. We have the miles, just can't decide if it's worth it or not. Also, for what it's worth, the LAX-BNE flight is on VA vs LAX-SYD on DL. Any differences for GM (could we book premium economy seats? I'm pretty sure we can on DL, correct?)
No PE on VA. PE unlike C+ is an actual separate cabin with different seat (think close to domestic F) and higher service level. DL doesn't currently offer PE except on A350. On either you get access to prefered seats.

VA has better service IMO, however is 3-4-3 seating instead of 3-3-3 on DL in Y. VA does offer DoD upgrades to PE and J though.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Just in case of pear-shaped connections, you may want to proactively get Australian electronic visas for you and your travel partners.
It beats spending the night in the airport.

That said, it's been a couple years, but my last trip to NZ was booked as a DL ticket, codeshare with Virgin Australia, operated by Air NZ. It all seemed to work out. I don't remember the specifics....except for the hilarious Betty White safety video!!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
If you do get stuck with the 12hr Sydney layover, the Sydney Rydges is literally across the road at International so you have a place to shower and sleep. They have some sort of discount deal if you sign up with them.

Sydney airport curfew lifts at 6am and there is a line of planes flying around to land so landing/gate/bags and bio security delay would be my concern.

I think ANZ check in counters close 45-60mins before flight and boarding starts 30mins before departure so I'd be stressed to the max attempting this.

If you change to LAX-BNE, personally, VA poops all over Delta for LAX-Australia flights but Ive only flown PE and J in VA.

Last edited by Osmo; Nov 1, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However is 3-4-3 seating instead of 3-3-3 on DL in Y. VA does offer DoD upgrades to PE and J though.
VA is still 3-3-3 in Y but 2-4-2 in PE.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
VA PE is nice, although I flew it before VA upgraded the cabins. I think it’s gotten better; the new VA business is excellent. The memory foam pads that VA makes up the seats with add so much comfort, I think.
And, VA does space available upgrades at checkin. I paid about US$850 or so to go from PE to J a few years back, flying BNE-LAX. But if you never go landside in OZ, there may not be way to buy an upgrade at the gate. Another reason to spend the AUD$10 for the OZ electronic visa. They are valid for a full year.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are booking a FF ticket ATL-SYD, arriving from LAX at 6:20 AM and then flying on to New Zealand. Our best option for the next flight is a direct SYD-CHC flight on Air New Zealand at 9:15. Is this doable? Any chance Delta will check our bags all the way through?...
Note that since your ticket ends in Australia, that DL will be in It's rights to insist on y'all having Australian ESTAs.
Originally Posted by Osmo
.....Sydney airport curfew lifts at 6am and there is a line of planes flying around to land so landing/gate/bags and bio security delay would be my concern.

I think ANZ check in counters close 45-60mins before flight and boarding starts 30mins before departure so I'd be stressed to the max attempting this..
Have you been to SYD or NZ before?
If DL will not interline bags you will have to clear Australian immigration, customs & quarantine. At 06:20am that can be fast or very slow: just luck on the day.
Free Australian ETA Visa application*

For SYD I to D when on separate tickets 3 hours is usually recommended.
For I to I on separate tickets would not suggest much less.

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki

For Aust to NZ many options. Airlines that fly Australia (CNS* MCY* BNE OOL SYD CBR MEL ADL PER) to/from New Zealand (AKL WLG CHC DUD ZQN) (not from all airports to all airports).
- Air Asia D7 (OOL - AKL)
- Air New Zealand NZ (codeshares with VA) [Star Alliance] {* winter seasonal}
- China Airlines CI (BNE SYD MEL** – AKL CHC**) [Skyteam Alliance] {** November to March}
- Emirates EK (SYD – CHC, BNE MEL - AKL (codeshares with QF). EK will only fly SYD-CHC from March 2018
- Jetstar JQ (owned by QF)
- LAN LA (SYD AKL) [OneWorld Alliance]
- Philippines PR (CNS - AKL)
- Qantas QF (codeshares with EK) [OneWorld Alliance]
- Singapore SQ (CBR WLG) [Star Alliance]
- Virgin Australia VA (codeshares with Air NZ & AC*) (Delta & AC** partner) [*= some routes in 2017, ** ffp late 2017]

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 2, 2017 at 5:05 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
No PE on VA. ... On either you get access to preferred seats ... VA has better service IMO, however is 3-4-3 seating instead of 3-3-3 on DL in Y.
Yes, VA has PE. They also have 'Economy X', which is like Delta's C+. However you do not get EconomyX access for free on VA, unlike DL C+

VA has never been 3-4-3 in Y on their 777. They have the same 3-3-3 as Delta.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Nov 2, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.