Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First A350 premium-economy review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:45 pm

couldnt find anything online... but does anyone have any info or details on premium economy on the new 777's for next year? Couldnt find any info on seat configuration, etc...?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by muishkin
Not true. F cabins have also gotten more opulent. You need to try a real F experience like the new AF La Premiere on the 777-300ER.
Well it's not for me. I even find today's Biz seats a waste of space and fuel .
But look how airlines a scaling back on F products across the board and that includes Euro carriers and Asian carriers.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kennyx
couldnt find anything online... but does anyone have any info or details on premium economy on the new 777's for next year? Couldnt find any info on seat configuration, etc...?
Nothing has been publicized yet.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I did a quick check on PE fares to see the multiple over cheap Y and it seems to be in the neighborhood of 2x. AF's PE is (was?) only $300-500 over cheap Y which is often less than 2X. And cheap J is usually in the 2.5x-2.5x range. So PE seems way overpriced for what it provides. Comments?
The real game-changer would be if Delta or, just more airlines, offered the "sofa" option in economy-class, like China Airlines, Air New Zealand and others. Basically, you can buy a row of economy-class seats that are engineered and designed to turn into a large bed, meant for families with kids. I think that would be much more desirable than premium-economy.

As it stands now, some of the ridiculously cheap Asian airfares mean you could just buy three or four economy-class seats for less than business-class and have a poor man's flat-bed.

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I'm going to be trying the AF A380 PE in April, and if I don't like it I will go with DL for my late summer trip.
Air France's business-class product on the A380 is the worst. Definitely a better value to buy premium-economy.

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
The VS PE multiple varies quite a lot depending on flight duration and season
Like not providing pillows and blankets on daytime flights back to the United States.

In general, I find Virgin Atlantic to be so-so at best, despite its great marketing. Yes, it has amazing lounges but you don't get the advertised Virgin Atlantic experience if you fly into Manchester. Nor did you receive it when Virgin Atlantic tried flying to Detroit, Chicago and elsewhere a year or two ago. I know quite a few people who booked business-class and were disappointed, not least because Delta's seats are better than Virgin Atlantic.

I wouldn't pay for Virgin Atlantic business-class, but I would pay for Virgin Atlantic's premium-economy. Not because the service is good. Again, it's so-so. Not providing a pillow on daytime flights is cheap. But the extra-wide seat and the new 787 aircraft are worth it. And in my experience, a much better value than business-class. You can get premium-economy on the 787 for $1,100-$1,400 round-trip. I've paid that for economy-class on Delta.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 4, 2017 at 4:13 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Based on online reviews, the Air France PE product is just about the worst flying.
Some people like it, some people don't. IME the hard shell is a win, meaning the seat in front of you doesn't encroach on your space, especially for daytime flights. But definitely YMMV.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
The old 767 J had way more space when looking at the dimensions.
The old 767 J seat (assuming you mean the "Barcalounger") is a 2000s era product, and mostly not comparable to the 1980s era seats being discussed upthread.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As it stands now, some of the ridiculously cheap Asian airfares mean you could just buy three or four economy-class seats for less than business-class and have a poor man's flat-bed.
I've done that (well, only two seats, I couldn't convince myself to buy the third) to HKG, and it's functionally equivalent to Premium Economy (if you get Comfort+ or equivalent). Well, except you get two screens (map + movie!).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
I've done that (well, only two seats, I couldn't convince myself to buy the third) to HKG, and it's functionally equivalent to Premium Economy (if you get Comfort+ or equivalent). Well, except you get two screens (map + movie!).
With many of these airfares between $300-$500, you could for $1,500 buy a row of three seats and carry-on a small mattress pad, pillow and blanket. You would be very, very comfortable for 14 hours.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

I wouldn't pay for Virgin Atlantic business-class, but I would pay for Virgin Atlantic's premium-economy. ...... You can get premium-economy on the 787 for $1,100-$1,400 round-trip. I've paid that for economy-class on Delta.
I recently got SFO-LHR on the VS 787 for $900. Purchased many months in advance, so you have to be able to do that, but if you can, a fantastic deal.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by bennos
The old 767 J seat (assuming you mean the "Barcalounger") is a 2000s era product, and mostly not comparable to the 1980s era seats being discussed upthread.
No, what was discussed and I quoted was about the previous J product (emphasis mine).

Originally Posted by Longboater
From all indications between photos and reports, Premium Select appears to be a one step down from the old 767 BE seats before the current product was installed, albeit with less recline and legroom.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:08 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by kennyx
There is a long discussion here, but it is known definitively from FAA filings that the 772s will have 28 J suites, 48 PS seats, and 220 Main Cabin seats.

If you read through the discussion it is established with a high degree of confidence that there will be 6 rows of 2-4-2 PS and Main Cabin will remain 9-across.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
The real game-changer would be if Delta or, just more airlines, offered the "sofa" option in economy-class, like China Airlines, Air New Zealand and others. Basically, you can buy a row of economy-class seats that are engineered and designed to turn into a large bed, meant for families with kids. I think that would be much more desirable than premium-economy.
NZ owns the patent for converting 3 Y seats into an bed via fold up foot resets, basically anyone else that wants todo so must pay NZ for the right todo so.

Hence why China Airlines is the only other airline to offer the product, they also will not sell the product to any airline that has routes that conflict NZ's target markets.

The SkyCouch is pretty average, and you have to be two short & slim adults to be make to make use of it, NZ's PE hard product is much more comfortable and provides an bussiness lite meal service etc.

trooper likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:05 am

Although the AF seat has issues, it is wider and noone can kick your back. With a reclining seat I would be too worried that some inferior being to my side or in my back would invade my personal volume, prevent me from reclining or kick my back. So I would really want the last row with Delta.

I noted that the TPG reviewer kept boasting about champagne, with a capital C please, but never gave the brand. I expect that he was lying and taking a DL kickback, I am pretty sure they serve some foul bubbly from the smelly world.

I might try it one day, if it is really cheap, unless I read rave reviews. I Admit though that the food looks good and the large screen seems nice.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by af fp
I expect that he was lying and taking a DL kickback, I am pretty sure they serve some foul bubbly from the smelly world.
I take everything I read on The Points Guy with a huge grain of salt. I think One Mile at a Time is much more honest in reviews.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:26 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by af fp
I noted that the TPG reviewer kept boasting about champagne, with a capital C please, but never gave the brand. I expect that he was lying and taking a DL kickback...
TPG is lowest-common-denominator trash whose reviews’ only purpose is to glamorize premium travel to sell credit cards. I’d never take anything from them objectively and no experienced traveler should be regularly reading it. The obligatory ansinine photo of him sipping champagne while giving the camera a shifty side-eye is emblematic of their purpose.

It’s not a DL bribe.
BamaGirl and ralphs like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:04 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by C W
TPG is lowest-common-denominator trash whose reviews’ only purpose is to glamorize premium travel to sell credit cards. I’d never take anything from them objectively and no experienced traveler should be regularly reading it. The obligatory ansinine photo of him sipping champagne while giving the camera a shifty side-eye is emblematic of their purpose.

It’s not a DL bribe.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:38 am

Thanks for your replies. I thus assume that DL did not pay TPG... but that they don’t serve champagne in PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.