Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to expect for my son's first F class flight?

What to expect for my son's first F class flight?

Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
What to expect for my son's first F class flight IAH-ATL-YYZ IN December?

He flies Dec 19th on the following one way F class flights with Delta:

IAH-ATL on DL 2468, then
ATL-YYZ on DL 1804

Neither of us has ever flown DL before.

What should he expect at the lounges in IAH & ATL? What about the food and beverage service on the flights as well?

I usually fly OW & *A because much of my routes overseas, so have no understanding of DL service in domestic F class.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by tmac100; Oct 31, 2017 at 8:16 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador
I don't have a tonne of experience in the DL F cabin but I have flown the YYZ-ATL leg in F recently (January). This was an early morning flight. No meal was served. Just drinks and the snack box. It was still a nice experience though.

Luckily, the YYZ-ATL leg is considered "international" so access to the SL is granted. The SL I went to in ATL was busy but still had plenty of seats. The buffet was well stocked but it wasn't really a full meal.

Hopefully someone with much more DL F experience will chime in as well.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:41 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
In-flight he will get a pass at the snack basket (maybe two passes depending on the crew). The basket usually has fruit, Biscoff, pretzels, Kind bars, some sweet things (brownie bites or caramel), and some savory (chips, popcorn, puffed rice).

How old is your son? Some clubs (those with self-service bars) require 21+ to enter. I think all the clubs in ATL have a full service bar so it may not be an issue.

Generally, lounges have some buffet food with hot and cold items. A couple of soups and some sort of sweet thing. They sometimes have novelty items like hot dogs or local baked goods. The F lounge is the best in ATL if he has time to go all the way to F (presume he will be arriving in T, A, or B).

There isn't a SkyClub in IAH but he would have access to the KLM lounge. Delta flights are in terminal A whereas the KLM lounge is in terminal D. There is an air side train he can use but it is a good 15 minutes from the Delta gates so may not be worth the hassle. That club is pretty small but has some OK food and drink options.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tmac100
What about the food and beverage service on the flights as well?
On-board food service is a function of departure time and flight distance for North American flights.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rst-class.html
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Flight 2468 to flight 1804 is only a 40 minute connection. No time for any lounge visit in ATL. There will be no meal service on either segment.

I would suggest that you purchase a "to go" sandwich before you board in IAH and enjoy it on the flight. Chips and some kind of sweet will be part of the snack basket and you will be served drinks in F.

I hope your son is a fast walker.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My son is a 30-yo and is completing some training as a fire-fighter.

He is "athletic", IMHO, having placed 2nd out of 20 starters on the "swim" from Alcatraz Island to the mainland several years ago. It was his first "event" in the ocean, and had trained only in freshwater lakes and the Ottawa River in Canada (where he lives).

Thanks again for the advice. Sounds like he may avail himself of some drinks, etc, on board
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:16 am

I have a SJC-MSP -TPA flight in First and get a Breakfast from SJC-MSP and Lunch from MSP-TPA. The meals are based upon miles and departure time of the flight. For the shorter flights the "Premium Snack Basket" and Alcoholic and Non Alcoholic beverages will make its rounds.

For those flights under 1,500 miles or those without meals I will settle for Delta Comfort+ which costs less miles or cost unless your son is 6" and needs the extra seat width and legroom.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

My son is 6'3" and will benefit from 1st Class seating.
Besides, after his fire-fighter course (almost 4 weeks long) I figured I would treat him. A minor cost for me as compared to the total cost of the course ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.