Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C+ Upgrades Coming to TATL Soon?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK additional APD isn't owed for OPUPs (nor for nonrevs given premium cabin seats). If people use instruments to "upgrade" in advance to C+, I would expect DL to charge APD, just like they do for upgrades into D1, with payment required before the ticket can be reissued (and also for the French luxury tax on upgrades into D1 exCDG). However, for upgrades at the gate, I'm not sure that GAs have the time to charge credit cards.

I thought it was still owed, but for OPUPs DL paid it and nonrevs had to pay it to fly in D1. Of course the rules have changed over the years, so no way tp be certain.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:12 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
The Twitter desk still has no idea what's going on with TATL segments. The standard "C+ is completely booked" response is all I am getting.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dw
And.... it looks like DL has gotten comfortable with that. Just checked JFK-LHR for the spring, and DL is in fact collecting the premium class APD ($200+) for Comfort+ (vs $100+ for economy).
If Delta calls Comfort+ a separate cabin of service it must collect more APD.

A 'reduced rate' is in effect for the lowest cabin of service. The 'standard' rate applies to other cabins.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...passenger-duty
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
If they are going to do it they need to honor all previous free seat assignments (like the OP) and update the policy
IndyDave and altabello like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I just checked a ATL-MAD trip for next month and it shows just a main cabin in the seat map (although its still a C+ seat). What a mess
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:21 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
How can any benefits of separate faring outweigh the huge APD that basically comes right out of the premium DL can charge? Now Ł75, Ł78 in April.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C W
How can any benefits of separate faring outweigh the huge APD that basically comes right out of the premium DL can charge? Now Ł75, Ł78 in April.
Better inventory control versus giving the C+ seats for free to the first elites who purchase tickets for the flight? Also better revenue management, with the "upcharge" implicitly depending on the purchased fare class, compared to the current fixed seat reservation fee system.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:27 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Better inventory control versus giving the C+ seats for free to the first elites who purchase tickets for the flight? Also better revenue management, with the "upcharge" implicitly depending on the purchased fare class, compared to the current fixed seat reservation fee system.
Yes, but how much of a revenue premium can Delta really charge? Then deduct ~$100 from that for each seat. Seems to eat a lot of the revenue.

Regardless, with the inability to upgrade right now, people getting booted from their seats, and no communication or announcement from Delta, this is shameful way to roll out this change, @SkyMilesTeam
hi55us and altabello like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C W
Yes, but how much of a revenue premium can Delta really charge? Then deduct ~$100 from that for each seat. Seems to eat a lot of the revenue.

Regardless, with the inability to upgrade right now, people getting booted from their seats, and no communication or announcement from Delta, this is shameful way to roll out this change, @SkyMilesTeam
I'm wondering what the applicable regulations (DOT and EC261) say about disclosing the tax (as part of the price?) when selling "upgrades". Maybe DL doesn't need to include London's APD in the upgrade fee, just like airlines could once advertise on the basis of fare only rather than total price including fuel surcharges, taxes, and other fees.

I can recall two cases where I got instrument supported TATL D1 upgrades from LHR and CDG at the time of ticket purchase but no additional tax payment was mentioned until I called to question why my ticket hadn't yet been reissued with the confirmed upgrade.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:38 am

what a mess indeed.

I had a paid C+ reservation CDG-CVG-CDG. was downgraded to main cabin.

I called Delta and the fist line of response was that there was an equipment change and that all C+ is full. this is notably for a end Feb/early March trip ! I tried a dummy booking and not a SINGLE C+ seat is actually booked on these flights. I declined the offer of a refund and asked for a supervisor.

The supervisor promised me to fix the issue and call/email back, we will see what happens next ...

With the change of selling C+ as a separate cabin comes a significant up-charge vs previous C+ paid upgrades (looking at my booking it is about a 2x). I think the current approach of refunding and having people rebook can be seen as a way of cashing in on this even for "legacy" bookings [if one was a cynical kind of person ...]

Last edited by jak456; Oct 30, 2017 at 8:44 am
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:42 am

It also seems like a way of booting elites from C+ seats that they booked for free in favor of selling them to others.

For TATL flights exEU, it could be interesting if people pursue the mandated EC261 75% downgrade compensation on the basis of a C+ reservation at the time of ticketing. AFAIK this applies even if the involuntary downgrade is done in advance, but people might want to consult the advice in some of the European carrier fora, especially the extensive and well informed discussion in the BA forum.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jak456
what a mess indeed.

I had a paid C+ reservation CDG-CVG-CDG. was downgraded to main cabin.

I called Delta and the fist line of response was that there was an equipment change and that all C+ is full. this is notably for a end Feb/early March trip ! I tried a dummy booking and not a SINGLE C+ seat is actually booked on these flights. I declined the offer of a refund and asked for a supervisor.

The supervisor promised me to fix the issue and call/email back, we will see what happens next ...

With the change of selling C+ as a separate cabin comes a significant up-charge vs previous C+ paid upgrades (looking at my booking it is about a 2x). I think the current approach of refunding and having people rebook can be seen a way of cashing in on this even for "legacy" bookings, if one were a cynical kind of person ...
I had the exact conversation with a supervisor on Saturday with the "equipment change" reason. I was also promised a call back today. So far crickets.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:57 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IndyDave
I had the exact conversation with a supervisor on Saturday with the "equipment change" reason. I was also promised a call back today. So far crickets.
Per usual, Delta has failed to communicate changes like this to both their customers and their frontline employees.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C W
Delta does serve European destinations where departures don't call for UK APD. It would represent the majority of Delta's TATL passengers, actually.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta does serve European destinations where departures don't call for UK APD. It would represent the majority of Delta's TATL passengers, actually.
Still, the routes with APD (or similar taxes/fees) are a significant fraction of DL's TATL traffic. In fact, most DL passengers on the LHR routes would be originating there rather than connecting (like CDG and AMS) since VS doesn't offer many connecting flights and KLM/AF (and AZ, RIP, etc.) connections would be pretty much limited to their hubs, which would just needlessly add a connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.