Search

Best way to cash in Choice Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, CSR
Best way to cash in Choice Benefits?

Hi all,

I have recently hit PM, which will be good through Jan 31, 2019. I searched the forums, but apologies if this is answered elsewhere already. There's a reasonable chance my flying habits will dial back considerably in 2018 (all being well!) and so I want to make sure I time cashing in my Choice Benefits appropriately.

Am I right in thinking that the clock starts on Regional Upgrade Certificates when you request that as your choice benefit, not when your Platinum status is running? i.e. should I wait until December 2018 to cash them in, to up my chances of regional upgrades for 2019?

Thanks very much,

RVM
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by Rearviewmirror1
Hi all,

I have recently hit PM, which will be good through Jan 31, 2019. I searched the forums, but apologies if this is answered elsewhere already. There's a reasonable chance my flying habits will dial back considerably in 2018 (all being well!) and so I want to make sure I time cashing in my Choice Benefits appropriately.

Am I right in thinking that the clock starts on Regional Upgrade Certificates when you request that as your choice benefit, not when your Platinum status is running? i.e. should I wait until December 2018 to cash them in, to up my chances of regional upgrades for 2019?

Thanks very much,

RVM
The one year expiration date starts from when they are issued which is usually the same day you request them. You can wait until you need to use one the first time to request so long as you request prior to January 31, 2019 and they will be good for a year from that date. Sometimes it takes a few hours for the RUC to be issued and appear in your account which could result in a lost opportunity if there is inventory available in advance. I have had that happen on a Transcon and lost the seat when waiting for the RUCs to be issued. But I still prefer to wait until I need the first RUC to push the expiration date out as long as possible.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Yeah, I made this mistake when first making PM a few years ago. Selected the RUC on day 1 then had them almost expire. Don't select them until you actually need them.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Yeah, I made this mistake when first making PM a few years ago. Selected the RUC on day 1 then had them almost expire. Don't select them until you actually need them.
Agreed, but make sure you set a reminder prior to the January 31 expiration date of Choice Benefits. Not a problem if you are flying a lot but the OP indicates the amount of flying will decline in 2018 increasing the risk of not needing the first at all thru the Medallion year and forgetting to make the selection prior to expiration.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Need some advice. If I already have an Amex Platinum, would selecting the SkyClub Individual Membership for DM be redundant?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Need some advice. If I already have an Amex Platinum, would selecting the SkyClub Individual Membership for DM be redundant?
Yes and that is why they took it away as a basic benefit and gave it as an option and increased the options by one.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by indufan
Yes and that is why they took it away as a basic benefit and gave it as an option and increased the options by one.
Amazing. Thanks!

4 GUCs and 50,000 miles is going to be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.