Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

An Extraordinary SkyMiles Value - VS PE to Upper Class

An Extraordinary SkyMiles Value - VS PE to Upper Class

Old Oct 28, 17, 7:10 pm
  #1  
C W
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
An Extraordinary SkyMiles Value - VS PE to Upper Class

Booking tickets back home for the holidays, flying LHR-ATL-PDX and then PDX-LAX-LHR. I wanted business class on the return as adjusting to the time change going East is much harder for me. I didn't want to do a full mileage booking for this one as I need MQMs.

I noticed that the difference between Main Cabin and VS PE on the return was minimal, I ended up getting C+ on PDX-LAX and PE G on LAX-LHR for £66 more than Main Cabin.

I then remembered that SkyMiles upgrades were recently announced for VS operated flights, but they didn't publish how many miles are needed.

When I called I was astonished that I could upgrade to Upper Class LAX-LHR from my PE G fare, only £66 more than a Main Cabin V fare, for only 20,000 SkyMiles with no cash co-pay

Would have been 30,000 from YBM and 60,000 from other Econ fare classes. 20,000 for PAG, which can often be much cheaper than YBM fares.

SkyMiles has had some awful devaluations recently, but this really is a sweet spot at the moment.
C W is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 7:31 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SEA once more (previously CDG and NRT)
Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Posts: 2,269
That’s actually quite a reasonable mileage redemption - much nicer than some of the crazy amounts DL is asking for
SEA-Flyer is online now  
Old Oct 28, 17, 8:30 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Posts: 1,017
How much cheaper was it than the direct LHR-PDX?
CO-PLAT is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 8:41 pm
  #4  
C W
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT View Post
How much cheaper was it than the direct LHR-PDX?
LHR-PDX direct is summertime seasonal, not available for this time of the year.

I was looking at connection options through ATL, JFK, MSP, LAX, and SEA. All similar prices. Wasn't willing to take LAX or SEA in Economy as those are operated by VS 787s and even with a 28" waist I refuse to fly 10 hours in a 17" seat
sdadept and CO-PLAT like this.
C W is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 9:02 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,233
Originally Posted by C W View Post
LHR-PDX direct is summertime seasonal, not available for this time of the year.

I was looking at connection options through ATL, JFK, MSP, LAX, and SEA. All similar prices. Wasn't willing to take LAX or SEA in Economy as those are operated by VS 787s and even with a 28" waist I refuse to fly 10 hours in a 17" seat
Did you book on the VS flight number or the DL flight number? And does it matter, in terms of getting a SkyMiles upgrade?
jrkmsp is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 9:16 pm
  #6  
C W
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
Did you book on the VS flight number or the DL flight number? And does it matter, in terms of getting a SkyMiles upgrade?
I booked online at Delta.com and it booked as DL4385 but then once the phone agent processed the upgrade it changed to VS8.

So you can definitely book on Delta ticket stock and DL marketed (flight number) and get the upgrade. I also know that you can book on Delta ticket stock and DL marketed and upgrade with VS miles, but it sucks since they nuked their rates. I think it was 38,700 Flying Club miles Not sure about other combinations.
C W is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 10:05 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,233
Originally Posted by C W View Post
I booked online at Delta.com and it booked as DL4385 but then once the phone agent processed the upgrade it changed to VS8.

So you can definitely book on Delta ticket stock and DL marketed (flight number) and get the upgrade. I also know that you can book on Delta ticket stock and DL marketed and upgrade with VS miles, but it sucks since they nuked their rates. I think it was 38,700 Flying Club miles Not sure about other combinations.
Cool. I found a pretty good rate for Virgin PE for a trip in the Spring. Just might have to try this!
jrkmsp is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 10:10 pm
  #8  
C W
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
Cool. I found a pretty good rate for Virgin PE for a trip in the Spring. Just might have to try this!
Just remember that you have to call to find upgrade space.

For some reason even when ExpertFlyer said Upper Class upgrade space was available Delta didn't always see it.

Also remember that now when booking through Delta you can book mixed cabin iteneries online. That's how I got such a good deal on the PE leg. It would have been £300 to upgrade the outbound, which I didn't really care about anyway, while the return was only £66. Worth playing with a bit.

Enjoy your trip!
C W is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 11:17 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Posts: 3,703
There’s an earlier thread about this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...pgrade-vs.html
CarmenOM is offline  
Old Oct 28, 17, 11:21 pm
  #10  
C W
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
There’s an earlier thread about this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...pgrade-vs.html
I'm surprised I missed it, sorry for the duplicate.

Mods, please merge if appropriate.
C W is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 12:01 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Posts: 3,703
A similar deal of 20K SkyMiles to upgrade from PE to Business is possible for TATL flights on AF.

Be sure to check your SkyMiles earnings after your flight, especially if your new VS flight number has retained the G fare, which is not a VS fare. When I had problems with mileage credit for the VS flight I found the best way to correct it was through an email via the Comment/Complaints option on delta.com. Phone calls were not effective.
CarmenOM is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 11:42 am
  #12  
C W
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
A similar deal of 20K SkyMiles to upgrade from PE to Business is possible for TATL flights on AF.

Be sure to check your SkyMiles earnings after your flight, especially if your new VS flight number has retained the G fare, which is not a VS fare. When I had problems with mileage credit for the VS flight I found the best way to correct it was through an email via the Comment/Complaints option on delta.com. Phone calls were not effective.
Thanks for the advice.

I recall the AF upgrade deal, but their PE fares seem to be considerably more expensive than VS ones. There's also the misfortune of having to fly on AF in the first place
C W is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 6:12 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: ATL, BNA
Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,002
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
A similar deal of 20K SkyMiles to upgrade from PE to Business is possible for TATL flights on AF.
Do you know how "possible" it is? I flew AF PE a couple times in the past fifteen months because I found the cash price to be reasonable compared to J. Wish I had known about this. Great use of miles.
EZEDoesIt is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 9:46 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LHR
Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 904
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt View Post
Do you know how "possible" it is? I flew AF PE a couple times in the past fifteen months because I found the cash price to be reasonable compared to J. Wish I had known about this. Great use of miles.
On most routes, much more difficult -- AF is pretty stingy with releasing partner J space. There's a couple random oddballs that seem to be easier -- YYZ/IAH-CDG and JFK-ORY come to mind -- but on the whole finding VS business class upgrade/award space is way easier than finding AF space.
taxicabnumber is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 10:00 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Posts: 3,703
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt View Post
Do you know how "possible" it is? I flew AF PE a couple times in the past fifteen months because I found the cash price to be reasonable compared to J. Wish I had known about this. Great use of miles.
When I did it this past August on a MSP-CDG-MAN-BOS-MSP ticket I booked Premium Economy on AF on the outbound and VS on the return. I then called AF to request the upgrade. The phone line was clearly operated by Delta since the phone agent was able to handle the whole process and had access to my SkyMiles account. It was very quick and easy. Immediately after my call the upgraded itinerary was sent to my email and showed on delta.com, with the new seat assignment, which I had selected over the phone. The 20K SM were also immediately deducted from my account.

When I called VS to upgrade the MAN-BOS segment it was more challenging. First I called VS, where the agent said she couldn’t do it because she had no access to my SM account. So I called DL, where the agent said that VS only designated certain flights to have mileage upgrades and my flight didn’t have them. I was skeptical about that, suspecting that the agent just didn’t know how to do it and didn’t want to try. Sometime later I tried again (actually calling US Delta line from England on Skype voice service) with more success. This time I was able to get a mileage upgrade but it took much longer than the AF process, with the DL agent having to call VS and go back and forth on the phone between me and VS.
CarmenOM is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: