Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AF Changed my Ticket to Joon... MQM Earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF Changed my Ticket to Joon... MQM Earning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
I thought they weren't starting until December 1.
Well, it does say operated by AF.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:35 am
RMO

Originally Posted by warakorn
This is considered to be a flight cancellation. Even if the cancellation happens more than 2 weeks out, the passenger may choose a full refund. This is according to EC261/2004. I would press on with AF.
The thing is only the airline operating the flight changed (from Air France to Joon). Everything else stayed the same (FB miles, baggage allowance, flight code/number, etc.). I guess they're counting on that to deny rebookings or full refunds.

Yesterday I got an email from AF informing me of that change (which I already knew since weeks ago though...). This is what they say:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you! You have booked a flight between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Barcelona, Lisbon, Porto, Berlin, Fortaleza in Brazil or Mahé in Seychelles. As of December1, Joon, the new airline in the Air France group, will have the pleasure of welcoming you aboard.

A preview of your Joon experience, the new travel generation by Air France.

You can always count on Air France:
•At the airport, you'll be welcomed by the Air France teams and will be able to enjoy your usual services.
•Enjoy all of your Flying Blue advantages.
•Your booking stays valid without any further action on your part. The flight number, the schedule and the number of permitted baggage items remain unchanged.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that the message specifically says Flying Blue advantages, not SkyTeam.

People have reported losing advanced seat assignments.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
AF has another short haul subsidiary, HOP. They fly a lot of the shorter (<2hr ?) European flights out of CDG terminal 2G. I have received full Skymiles credit on HOP connecting to/from the US. I have received no mileage credit on HOP on some intra Europe flights, depending on the fare class. If I remember correctly X fares do not earn credit, so I suspect if you buy an X fare on JOON you will not get credit.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SQ Silver, Marriott Plat, Hotels.com Gold
I heard back from both Delta and AF Twitter. AF punted to DL (as expected) and said it's up to DL to determine their program earning requirements.

The DL agent didn't confirm anything about Joon itself, but opened my itinerary and said that my ticket and was "definitely an Air France itinerary" and would "definitely earn MQMs" as a result of its stock and booking reference & class.

I've reserved seats using my DL number and they've stuck (someone mentioned that seat reservations haven't been reliable but no issues for me -- I was able to reserve seats on a lowest economy fare and in the front few rows, plus it shows an extra free checked bag, so my SkyTeam Elite+ benefits worked just fine).

Not wild about getting punted to Joon but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by 18sas
This may have just been updated but we now have answer from Delta.com

So I think this is settled now.
Thank you! That must be brand new, as it wasn't there when I checked a few days ago -- great to see!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Incoherent1
Thank you! That must be brand new, as it wasn't there when I checked a few days ago -- great to see!
They probably got some questions about it and quickly posted something to clarify.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:45 pm

On the other hand, when I do a dummy booking on DL.com for this:

[Sorry the screen shots didn't come through. It was a Z fare, NAP-CDG-JFK, with NAP-CDG on DL8679 operated by Joon. This is the return from JFK-FCO]

You get this:

[The screenshot was of the MQM estimator from DL.com shown at booking. When expanded, it showed 0 MQMs, MQDs, etc. for the Joon leg]

Note the zeros for the NAP-CDG leg, which is marketed by DL (DL8679) but operated by Joon.

So based upon post #28 , if AF marketed but Joon operated, MQM eligible, but (based on the above), if DL marketed but Joon operated, no MQMs?

Doesn't make sense...

Last edited by flyerwma; Jan 10, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. I’m unclear if that’s an error or if you really get 0 MQM on DL marketed Joon flights... Would be interesting to hear from others if anyone has experience.

Either way, I *can* confirm my AF-ticketed Joon flight did give me the MQMs. I also got a free bag, ability to choose my seat, and front of plane seating via DL status.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:53 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[RANT]I just looked at the JOON website and did their survey rating it. At the end, I got a page saying "we're sorry you are unhappy.....please contact us by twitter or Facebook" with no option for either a phone call or email. This just reinforced my impression that JOON is some idiot MBA marketing project designed by a moron who thinks you can make a profitable airline by only appealing to a subset of millenials and putting off other potential customers. I wonder who they think will be buying the "business class" seats on these flights.[/RANT]
Yup! But the way it's been explained to me, JOON (again, I can't believe I'm actually typing that word) is basically Air France's version of a concept the U.S. airlines have repeatedly tried and eventually dumped -- Shuttle by United, Ted, MetroJet, Song/Delta Express, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. So you check in with Air France, it's staffed by Air France crews working on what we would know as a b-scale, uses Air France planes that get a new paint job, earns miles with the Air France program. I predict it'll be gone in about three years, which seems to be about how long these marketing exercises typically last.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:52 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Is there any update with firsthand experience on whether DL GM/PM/DM (or any other non-Flying Blue STE+) members get lounge access and other STE+ benefits when traveling on Joon?

And any experience as to whether a STE+ gets free seat assignments and a free checked bag even if booking a Joon fare that doesn't include those things? (I think that was the case when booking an AF fare that didn't include those things, but not sure.)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgriff
Is there any update with firsthand experience on whether DL GM/PM/DM (or any other non-Flying Blue STE+) members get lounge access and other STE+ benefits when traveling on Joon?

And any experience as to whether a STE+ gets free seat assignments and a free checked bag even if booking a Joon fare that doesn't include those things? (I think that was the case when booking an AF fare that didn't include those things, but not sure.)
Yes, I can confirm all of the above. I got lounge access, free seat assignment (both in advance and in the first few rows), and one free checked bag. This was on a Joon-only itinerary on whatever their cheapest fare is called; there were no mainline AF flights on my itinerary.
bgriff likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:01 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Incoherent1
Yes, I can confirm all of the above. I got lounge access, free seat assignment (both in advance and in the first few rows), and one free checked bag. This was on a Joon-only itinerary on whatever their cheapest fare is called; there were no mainline AF flights on my itinerary.
Thanks, good to know. Their lowest fares are pretty cheap so getting free seat assignment & checked bag on top of easyJet-level fares is a pretty great deal, even if you have to put up with a ridiculous concept of an airline to get there.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
hopefully DL will clarify this soon. There was a lot of ambiguity with A5 when that started ... so DL should know how this works IMO.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Good to know about this! I will say that I have now also found JOON flights on CDG-CAI A340 flights, which surprised me since I've mostly seen their code on shorter, intra-Europe flights.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Good to know about this! I will say that I have now also found JOON flights on CDG-CAI A340 flights, which surprised me since I've mostly seen their code on shorter, intra-Europe flights.
JN will operate long-haul flights from end march :
- new routes : SEZ, FOR
- AF routes switching to JN-operating : CAI, IKA, CPT

As a reminder, medium-haul routes transferred (or to be transferred end of march*) are : LIS, BCN, OPO, TXL, OSL*, IST*, FCO*, NAP*

Medium- and long-haul Joon flights are exclusively marketed under AF flight numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.