Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hollandair
I only know that if you are not DL-ticketed it has consequences for your Domestic upgrade priority. I was number 32 on 737 MSP-LAs on a saturday afternoon. Unless there were 31 Diamonds on the list its strange. Also, you dont get upgraded to Delta comfort plus until check-in.

Dont know if this is the law, just saying it happened to me twice on two seperate 074 tickets.
Sounds like your DL flights were sold with a KL flight number. This not ticket stock is what effected your upgrades.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:00 pm
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sounds like your DL flights were sold with a KL flight number. This not ticket stock is what effected your upgrades.
Is it possible to buy a ticket with KLM on 074 ticket with DL flightnumber in your ticket?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:40 pm

I noticed couple of things which were not mentioned yet.

For the negative changes list:
All group 2 partners won't have Medallion Mileage Bonus anymore.

Both for positive and negative
Hawaiian will start earning MQM and MQD (though it's probably not a big thing as it's still for the flights inside Hawaii only).
BUT the number of RDM will be lower for discounted and deeply discounted economy fares (25-50% instead of 50-75%).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:48 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by pride
For the negative changes list:
All group 2 partners won't have Medallion Mileage Bonus anymore.
Ouch! That’s a big RDM reduction for higher Medallions.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Hollandair
Is it possible to buy a ticket with KLM on 074 ticket with DL flightnumber in your ticket?
Yes
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
If we all go crazy on partner tickets (my only hope of remaining DM) I could just see Delta adding a minimum Delta % to the MQD component (e.g. half your MQDs must be on 006 stock)
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:35 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
grr I got excited thinking that my VS-marketed (VS8) Delta-ticketed (006) segment would earn based on distance then noticed the blanket disclaimer
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Klm flight

So if I purchase KLM flights ORD to AMS on 006 ticket stock next year and then use a global upgrade to confirm in to Z class will I earn MQD’s based on the cost of the ticket or the percentage of miles flown? The flight numbers are KLM now because they were reissued in to a Z fare because of the upgrade.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:24 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by C W
grr I got excited thinking that my VS-marketed (VS8) Delta-ticketed (006) segment would earn based on distance then noticed the blanket disclaimer
Originally Posted by Jay00848
So if I purchase KLM flights ORD to AMS on 006 ticket stock next year and then use a global upgrade to confirm in to Z class will I earn MQD’s based on the cost of the ticket or the percentage of miles flown? The flight numbers are KLM now because they were reissued in to a Z fare because of the upgrade.
I'm confused about this because it says different things in different places on DL.com (surprise!) but I think the ticketing carrier no longer matters after Jan 1, right?

See here: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ir-france.html
(AF is a better example than KL because the current KL table has all sorts of weird footnotes.)

Footnote 1 in the up to Dec 31 2017 table says "Partner-marketed flights that are not ticketed by Delta", meaning 006-ticketed AF flights earn based on spend. But footnote 1 in the after Jan 1 2018 table does not say that -- it just says "Partner-marketed flights will earn miles based on a percentage of distance flown".

So I think a KL-marketed flight (such as a flight which has had GUCs applied to it), even if 006-ticketed, will earn based only on distance after Jan 1 2018?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes ticketing carrier will no longer matter. As already noted in another thread here, this was confirmed in the Skymiles News & Updates section at

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...d-updates.html

"Starting on 1/1/18, you’ll only need to know your flight number to determine how you earn miles on partner flights
Partner-marketed flights will earn miles based on distance flown
Delta-marketed flights will earn miles based on dollars spent"
FBplatinum and wxman22 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
For me this is a net positive. 30% MQD on VS PE 2x/year on JFK-LHR-JFK and 40% on AM J ORD-MEX-TIJ(e.g. SAN) once a year gets me over 2/3 of the MQD I need to qualify for Platinum, for under $3k without needing any MR other than the TIJ diversion to MEX each way.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unless I'm missing something, isn't this a loss for east coast to EU flights on KL business class? For example, its about 7k miles round trip from the northeast to AMS. If your ticket costs you $5k, you only get 40% of the distance, so 2800 MQD instead of that full 5000.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by rylan
Unless I'm missing something, isn't this a loss for east coast to EU flights on KL business class? For example, its about 7k miles round trip from the northeast to AMS. If your ticket costs you $5k, you only get 40% of the distance, so 2800 MQD instead of that full 5000.
Yes, almost certainly, since in general most expensive business class fares come out ahead under the "new" system that is used for DL flights and, until Dec 31, for TATL KL flights.

That said, for such trips, unless a corporate booking arrangement otherwise prevents it, you could book most if not all of the same KL flights on DL flight numbers and continue to get the "full" RDMs and MQDs.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Yes ticketing carrier will no longer matter. As already noted in another thread here, this was confirmed in the Skymiles News & Updates section at

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...d-updates.html

"Starting on 1/1/18, you’ll only need to know your flight number to determine how you earn miles on partner flights
Partner-marketed flights will earn miles based on distance flown
Delta-marketed flights will earn miles based on dollars spent"
Holy cow!! Just when I thought the SkyMiles program couldn't get any worse, DL goes and does something like this...and totally redeems themselves!! Booking partner marketed flights in F on the longest possible routing, this will easily push me from barely qualifying for GM to PM or even DM next year!!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
How do I book a flight that would be marketed by Air France receive these new earning rates how do I book them? Because, the Air France website doesn't allow me to book flights from my home-town, and I am not sure about calling the Air France number in the US since doesn't it just go to the Delta Call Center? On normal Economy tickets, I want to keep buying from Delta, but I found a couple of great prices in Premium Economy for just 400 over Economy and I'd earn well over 3500 MQD's if booked through Air France.

Tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.