Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018

Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018

Old Jan 8, 18, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, UA Silver, DL GM
I've got a question that I can't seem to get any clarity on from this thread or the website. About to purchase some Biz flights from the US to Europe on KLM.com. Outbound is AF marketed and operated flight, return is AF marketed but DL operated. It is very clear that the first flight will earn based on distance, but what about cases where its a partner marketed flight operated by DL? Will it earn by distance or price?
Old Jan 8, 18, 8:54 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
How is it unclear?? Earning is based on marketing carrier, not operating carrier.
Old Jan 8, 18, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I'm sort of confused by the new KLM chart. It says below the new chart:

KLM-marketed flights will earn mileage based on the table below if they are ticketed by Delta or meet all three of the following criteria:
  1. Part of a transatlantic itinerary1;
  2. Ticketed by KLM; and
  3. Operated by either Delta or KLM"
So does that mean any transatlantic KLM marketed flight whether or not it's operated by Delta or KLM will earn MQD's and Miles based on the previous chart and not by the 2018 chart? If you open the KLM section on the Partner Earnings page you can see more clearly what I mean.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
Old Jan 9, 18, 1:28 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jonathanbak View Post
I'm sort of confused by the new KLM chart. It says below the new chart:

KLM-marketed flights will earn mileage based on the table below if they are ticketed by Delta or meet all three of the following criteria:
  1. Part of a transatlantic itinerary1;
  2. Ticketed by KLM; and
  3. Operated by either Delta or KLM"
So does that mean any transatlantic KLM marketed flight whether or not it's operated by Delta or KLM will earn MQD's and Miles based on the previous chart and not by the 2018 chart? If you open the KLM section on the Partner Earnings page you can see more clearly what I mean.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
I will grant you that the design of the new page is ridiculously awful, as if they did not do any usability testing.

However it says "KLM-marketed flights in the following fare classes are eligible for accrual based on the percentages in the table below, multiplied by the flight distance (as determined in Delta or the partner carrier’s sole discretion)" followed by the button to click for the new chart, which says "MILEAGE EARN ON/AFTER JAN. 1, 2018". We are on/after Jan. 1, 2018. Full stop.

The next button/table, which yes, is beneath the new table, nevertheless has the qualifier on the button "MILEAGE EARN BETWEEN FEB. 1, 2016 AND DEC. 31, 2017." The language you quoted with the three criteria, refers to this second table. But it's useful only for historical purposes (like if you wanted to look up what a past flight should have earned vs. what got credited).

If you are researching future travel, ignore the other charts and focus on the "ON/AFTER JAN. 1, 2018" chart.
jonathanbak likes this.
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Why can't I find the new A350 Delta flights through DTW on the AF site? I was trying to buy the PE ticket through AF to get more miles but I can't seem to find any on the AF site even though the Delta site has it on the same day. Does Delta just not allow AF to sell Delta PE on the new a350? If so why then does AF allow delta so sell their PE inventory?
Old Jan 15, 18, 1:27 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by jonathanbak View Post
Why can't I find the new A350 Delta flights through DTW on the AF site? I was trying to buy the PE ticket through AF to get more miles but I can't seem to find any on the AF site even though the Delta site has it on the same day. Does Delta just not allow AF to sell Delta PE on the new a350? If so why then does AF allow delta so sell their PE inventory?
No, AF & KLM didn't update their systems/websites yet.
Old Feb 2, 18, 1:34 pm

Has anyone flown an AF marketed flight by Finnair or Air Baltic since the changes have occurred? If so, have you received MQMs/MQDs? The way I am reading the tables, it does not appear that either would receive mileage accrual even with the flights having an AF flight #, but I figured it was worth asking since you never know what will actually happen when these sort of changes take place.
Old Feb 2, 18, 1:56 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Has anyone flown an AF marketed flight by Finnair or Air Baltic since the changes have occurred? If so, have you received MQMs/MQDs? The way I am reading the tables, it does not appear that either would receive mileage accrual even with the flights having an AF flight #, but I figured it was worth asking since you never know what will actually happen when these sort of changes take place.
Both the before and after changes do not provide for mileage earnings for flights that are operated by non-partners (see specific language below). You will earn no miles/MQMs/MQDs for such flights.

"Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline."
Old Feb 2, 18, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
It was well before the new rules -- TLL-AMS-CPT (8/28-9/15) and JNB-CDG-HEL (9/8-9/15). TLL-AMS was on Estonian Air with a KL flight number, CDG-HEL was on Finn Air with an AF flight number. No credits for the non-KL/AF operated flights.
But I will note that the CDG-HEL flight on a Finn Air 321 was one of the most pleasant flights I've ever flown. Finn Air business class is just the empty middle seat (like AF and KL), but the service and food were outstanding.
A few years before I flew Air Baltic with a KL flight number going to RIX. Also no credits.
Old Mar 29, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Flying to Europe later this month for work trying to figure out the best move. Fare is ~$1850k, routing is RDU - JFK - MAD // ARN - CDG - RDU

I have the following options:

AF flight numbers, U fare (~$1805 MQD @20%)
DL flight numbers, H fare (~$1700 MQD)
AF flight numbers -- outbound / DL flight numbers -- return, U fare/H fare (not sure how to calculate)

Right now I'm sitting at about $3k MQD / 33k MQM and with other travel in plan, Gold is a given - I maybe have an outside shot at Platinum (which definitely would require maximizing MQD here)

Last edited by Duke787; Mar 29, 18 at 10:16 pm
Old Mar 30, 18, 9:45 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Flying to Europe later this month for work trying to figure out the best move. Fare is ~$1850k, routing is RDU - JFK - MAD // ARN - CDG - RDU

I have the following options:

AF flight numbers, U fare (~$1805 MQD @20%)
DL flight numbers, H fare (~$1700 MQD)
AF flight numbers -- outbound / DL flight numbers -- return, U fare/H fare (not sure how to calculate)

Right now I'm sitting at about $3k MQD / 33k MQM and with other travel in plan, Gold is a given - I maybe have an outside shot at Platinum (which definitely would require maximizing MQD here)
It won't be exact since the route is different, but I believe the split outbound/return would probably be about 50% of each of the other two figures you quote. I'm actually not 100% sure how MQDs are calculated on a split ticket. But most likely the all-AF flight number option should earn you the most MQDs.

It's also worth considering how many redeemable miles you'd earn through either booking channel, but some quick math suggests you'd get around 12,000 in either case for this particular trip, though AF flight numbers probably earn a bit more, depending how much of the DL fare is made up of taxes ineligible for earning miles.
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:01 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
This may have been asked but for partner marketed flights less than 500 miles, are MQDs calculated on flight distance or the 500 mile minimum? I am thinking it's the former but wanting to confirm.
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
This may have been asked but for partner marketed flights less than 500 miles, are MQDs calculated on flight distance or the 500 mile minimum? I am thinking it's the former but wanting to confirm.

Actual mileage.
Old Jul 8, 18, 12:48 pm
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Actual mileage.
Thank you.