Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FA’s will remain seated until cruise altitude

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

And if conditions allow we will provide a service. If not we apologize in advance.

Announcement just now from the FA on 1285 ATL-PBI and nary a bump 10 minutes in.

Last edited by apodo77; Oct 26, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Now they announced water only for our safety and theirs.

Will be interesting to see the impending turbulence.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
And if conditions allow we will provide a service. If not we apologize in advance.

Announcement just now form the FA on 1285 ATL-PBI and nary a bump 10 minutes in.
Yesterday ATL-SFO the pilot kept everyone, including FAs seated for intermittently for almost 3 hours total throughout the course of the less than 5 hour flight. I can appreciate that in the presence of turbulence, this is a good idea but we did not experience turbulence to any greater extent than the typical cross country trip - and never have I been held captive for over half the time.

The consequence of this was that after about an hour of seat belt sign illumination without a bump mid-flight, people started getting up and going to the head. Though the FAs tried to get them seated, they finally gave up and started "hand" serving the front half of the cabin. It wasn't until we were past Denver that the seat belt sign came off with a lukewarm "sorry" from the Capitan. It left the impression he simply forgot that it was on.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: none
Complain to DELTA. Maybe they will throw some miles your way.
hi55us likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

About 45 minutes in.
Nothing I’d even describe as light chop thus far.

Water offered but no cocktails or snack basket in C+.

FA’s gabbing in the front galley.

Interestingly no announcement from the pilots about turbulence.

Last edited by apodo77; Oct 26, 2017 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Laziness. Nothing more.

After passing through 10,000 ft the seatbelt sign should be turned off automatically and a legal disclaimer played to let passengers know they should move about at their own risk.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Complete laziness. Every passenger got full beverage service on my recent 1 hour (bumpy toward the end) full A321 flight and 40-45 minute (bumpy in the beginning) CRJ-900 flight.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Laziness. Nothing more.

After passing through 10,000 ft the seatbelt sign should be turned off automatically and a legal disclaimer played to let passengers know they should move about at their own risk.
What about the most common injuries in turbulence, caused by FA's or pax falling on or dropping something on somebody with the sense to stay seated. I could care less about others, but I do care about me.

The same people ranting here who know nothing about what ATC, other aircraft, and weather radar showed at the time, the Captain made the decision to keep the FA's seated, are the people who would rant here on FT about suing a carrier if they were injured by a FA in turbulence.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
What about the most common injuries in turbulence, caused by FA's or pax falling on or dropping something on somebody with the sense to stay seated. I could care less about others, but I do care about me.

The same people ranting here who know nothing about what ATC, other aircraft, and weather radar showed at the time, the Captain made the decision to keep the FA's seated, are the people who would rant here on FT about suing a carrier if they were injured by a FA in turbulence.
You can choose to live your life in fear of the unknown. I'm not.

F and C+ passengers have paid for more than just basic transportation. They purchased those seats with the expectation of better service. We need to start holding the airlines accountable for their actions. If the seatbelt sign stays on the entire flight then there had better be a good reason for it. If a pilot racks up a line of false alarms then they should face disciplinary action. At that point they are obviously in cahoots with the flight attendants.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by apodo77
Announcement just now form the FA on 1285 ATL-PBI and nary a bump 10 minutes in.
I was flying east/west routes farther north today (CLE-DEN-EWR). There were forecasts for significant turbulence stemming from the jetstream's high velocity (we saw actual winds approaching 150mph) and unusual path (north/south). We were able to avoid some of it, not all, with strategic altitude changes. We also have an inflight tool that is not yet available to Delta pilots (live updating the WSI wx app via aircraft wifi). We had the flight attendants take their seats early coming into EWR late this afternoon due to forecasts, and actual reports (from the TAPS system, which I believe Delta also has via ACARS) of moderate turbulence had a mostly smooth descent and landing.

The jetstream dipped very low, into the area of your flight, and curved back north in a tight U-shape. It was nearly north/south where I was. I didn't look at the turbulence forecasts in that area but would imagine that they would have been worse than farther north where I was flying due to the jetstream's tight course-reversal.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Ridiculous and lazy.....DL should be ashamed of this veiled “safety” concept.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Often1
Except that these days with onboard wifi it's entirely possible to see exactly what the weather is (often in better detail than the pilots) and listen to ATC and other aircraft in real time.

I've been on a couple of flights in the last six months where they had us remain seated and I knew for a fact that there was no turbulence on the map or reported from aircraft ahead of us. It was pure laziness that had us sitting for an hour. Fear and abject acceptance of whatever Those In Authority Say is no way to live.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Except that these days with onboard wifi it's entirely possible to see exactly what the weather is (often in better detail than the pilots) and listen to ATC and other aircraft in real time.
Now you're asserting you're smarter than the pilot. Introduce yourself as you board some day and explain you'd like to fly the aircraft.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Now you're asserting you're smarter than the pilot. Introduce yourself as you board some day and explain you'd like to fly the aircraft.
He said no such thing. We now have the information to know when we aren't being told the truth. That isn't claiming we are smarter than anyone. We have just caught on to their game. We can now access the same data the airline uses. I know because we used these services in my meteorology courses.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't think he made any mention of intelligence. But while you're at it, I'm pretty sure there is no IQ test to be a pilot. Nobody said pilots are smart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.